Windows 10: Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

Discus and support Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Finally! Got it working. Testing a few more times, I want to be sure the workaround is valid and works every time before posting it. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

Finally!

Got it working. Testing a few more times, I want to be sure the workaround is valid and works every time before posting it.

2. xbliss Win User

Interesting. How have the abilities and granularity changed as things have moved from Win 7 > 8 > 10?

Would it be able to do something similar to this? I really liked using this Win 7 tutorial.

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

I feel in the future Win 10 should be deployed to VHDs for Native Boot and we should be able to move it off a machine to a newer one when need as time moves forward - OS + Apps + Settings | Only hardware profiles + drivers need to change after a SysPrep.

Is there a similar tutorial for Win 7 on EightForums?

xbliss, Jun 19, 2015
  3. Kari Win User
    That tutorial works as it is in exactly the same way and applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The principle is the same, the sysprep command is the same, the procedure, flow of things to do is exactly the same.

If you want to move a Windows 10 installation to a new computer simply follw instructions on the tutorial you mentioned at our sister site the Seven Forums.

4. xbliss Win User

Great. This is the thing. I'd like to create two .VHDs (Win 8.1 and Win 10) - for Native boot on Surface Pro 3. There seems to be some issue getting Win 8.1 VHDs to work on Surface Pro 3 as pointed out here.
    Surface pro 3 - boot to vhd (Native Boot)
    Surface Pro 3 - Boot to VHD (Native Boot) - Issues

Is there an Enterprise/ Admin guide that points to something different to be done for Surface Pro 3?

xbliss, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    I am not aware of any Surface Pro 3 specific guides or tutorials. Sorry.

BTW, you know Disk2VHD? If not and if you want to create a VHD of your existing Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 or 10, see this tutorial: Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD - Windows 10 Forums

6. Krish Win User
    I am trying to use Bluetooth mouse/keyboard in OOBE with Win 10 10130. I don't see any HID pairing page. Is there anything I have to do enable it?

Krish, Jun 22, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Hi Krish, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Did you use the generalize switch with sysprep in Audit Mode? You should install the the drivers for your bluetooth devices in Audit Mode, then if generalizing use the PersistAllDeviceInstalls ​component in answer file which lets you generalize to copy the theme and customizations but keeps the installed drivers.

8. Krish Win User

Hi Kari,
    Thanks for the response. I didn't got into audit mode. I was talking about using BT HID devices in OOBE mode. Do I need to install BT drivers separately? My understanding is, its available as part of the install.

Krish, Jun 23, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    The whole idea of this tutorial is to customize the Windows image in Audit Mode, then sysprep it. As your issue is in no way related to this tutorial and this thread, and as I really do not know how you could get your Bluetooth devices to work during the installation (OOBE), I suggest you start a new thread in the Drivers & Hardware section, giving as much information as possible.

10. McDougle Win User
    Kari,

I was wondering what your possible fix was. I have been fighting with this same issue for days now and some of the "workarounds" just don't seem to be working very well.

McDougle, Jun 30, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Hi McDougle, welcome to the Ten Forums.

The fix, workaround, was too unsure and did not work every time. All signs told that a new build will come any day, I decided to wait.

OK, we got a new build 10158 a few days ago and to my great pleasure I can tell that now most of the Sysprep issues seem to be solved. I am still testing but I promise to post something conclusive this week.

At the moment I get CopyProfile=True, relocating Users folder, customizations, everything to work when testing Sysprepping in Audit Mode with various answer files in build 10158 every time when doing it on test Hyper-V virtual machines, but half of my sysprep tests fail when done on real physical hardware. I am still looking for the culprit and possible workarounds, puzzled about why doing this on vm works all the time but real machine fails quite often.

Anyway, we are getting back there, getting this to work as it did in previous versions of Windows. Personally I am so to say "half pleased", I know now that I can create my customized, sysprepped image in Hyper-V, capture it and deploy to real hardware. But, of course, it should also work on real hardware.

Now when most of the issues and bugs seem to gone I will be more active in this thread and post whatever I will find.

12. jfreemont Win User
    Seems 10166 has Sysprep issues.

1. When using Audit Mode as normal with CopyProfile setting:
    A. Some apps, like 3D Builder, will not open at all and open the Store instead. Some other apps have random issues that only happen after Sysprep.

B. Cannot open apps in Audit Mode, so settings customizations are impossible. Bad for apps like Edge.
    2. When going into Audit Mode, creating a local user for customization, and then using Sysprep:
    A. Some apps, like 3D Builder, will not open at all and open the Store instead. Some other apps have random issues that only happen after Sysprep.

B. The Store (unsuccessfully) tries to update all apps over and over, for no apparent reason.

C. All pinned icons to the taskbar are reset to default. This is a different behavior than in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. In those, if you made a user account before generalizing the machine, the taskbar was left alone. The taskbar was only reverted for new accounts.
    So, Microsoft has a lot of work to do.

jfreemont, Jul 14, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

.. and that's the main reason why I have been so silent *Wink

Sysprep works in 10162 and 10166 without issues, subject to installing Windows without any network connection and connecting it only when arrived to Audit Mode. But, as you have also noticed, Windows when finally booted to OOBE might have some functionality issues.

In my sysprep tests I mostly get a fully working system, customized as I wish, but occasionally there will be some issues. The most annoying one is that if local accounts are created in the answer file, quite often the Start and Search do not work at all. Any subsequent MS or Domain accounts will have a fully working Start and Search / Cortana but the local accounts created in answer file don't.

14. jfreemont Win User
    Yeah, I had those issues, too.

Does 3D Builder work for you when you Sysprep? If I don't Sysprep, 3D Builder works. Once I Sysprep, 3D Builder gets corrupted, and the Store opens in its place.

jfreemont, Jul 14, 2015
  15. jfreemont Win User
    10240 is out. I can't test Sysprep at the moment. Hope someone can do tests with user accounts created before and after generalization.

jfreemont, Jul 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Similar Threads - Customize Image Audit

2. Will Sysprep clear the audit logs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Sysprep clear the audit logs: Hi,I wanted a confirmation on, Does shut downing instance with sysprep clear the audit logs generating windows event id 1102Regards,Anjani CM* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  3. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  4. unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image

unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image: Hi I've been in the process of configuring a build of Windows 10 to sysprep, clone and deploy for use with Dells. While working in audit mode (via the usual CTRL + Shift + F3), I accidentally shut down sysprep.exe, immediately after doing this, messages appeared and without...
  5. Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE: IT, trying to create a backup image using macrium although my issues are just for sysprep, At the moment i am just trying to figure things out, so I am installing windows 10 education on SSD (computer has a ssd and a hardrive) then boot into windows and on the first screen...
  6. Audit Customizations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  7. Audit Customizations

Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  8. Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode

Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode: I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I know that pinned Icons at...
  9. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...
  10. Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode

Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode: I followed this great tutorial an creating a custom Windows 10 image: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums Everything worked great and I put the image on several computers and all seemed to be working great - until I realized that...