Windows 10: Customizing the Start Menu

Discus and support Customizing the Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CJW, Nov 17, 2017.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Customizing the Start Menu

Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders?
    What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows Explorer, I can get into the Start Menu folder & create/move/delete files & folders for a nice tidy menu. How can I do this in 10?

:)

2. trbogt Win User

Start Menu Customizing

Hi...I agree...I like the different colors in my Windows 8.1 system apps and tiles...unfortunately Windows 10 just has them all the same color ...it is such a simple feature that maybe keeps me liking Win 8.1 better...is personalization .

Windows 10 has gotten better because of 'Feedback' but I have not put this tile color into feedback...maybe we should now...and have it as an option.

Win 10:

Customizing the Start Menu [​IMG]

Win 8.1:

*john

trbogt, Nov 17, 2017
  3. CoryCigas Win User
    Start Menu Customizing

This is just a suggestion for the future windows builds maybe.

I was rearranging my start menu, since I do not keep programs on my desktop, and everything is just one color that is not an app from the windows store or a Microsoft product.

I wanted to suggest allowing users to customize the colors of each icon in the start menu that is pinned. Either by right clicking or entering the properties to change the icon. Having some type of color change I feel would be neater and easier on the eyes.
    Instead of seeing just tons of red or lime green icons will be great. Plus then you can color coordinate certain icons that you would like for certain things just like putting them into groups.

Doesn't need to be seen but thought this would be cool

CoryCigas, Nov 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's very inconvenient. You have to use the underlying folders and manipulate those. (See links at end). But never hope to expect the flexibility you're used to using that. I don't know of any way to remove the ABC categorisation, which acts as a quick way to access sections of the list.

As has been said in many threads like this, if you want a truly familiar feeling start menu (that exposes those folders conveniently) use Classic Shell start menu (free).

Drag 'n drop, layout like Win 7 or XP expanding in columns across the screen, configurable search options, can launch universal apps. No tiles.

And you can still use Win 10's start menu with a key combo.

Here's what happens to a deeply nested start menu inherited from Win 7.. beyond about the 3rd folder deep, Win 10's start menu strips out all the shortcuts from the folders and lists them in alphabetical order.

Hmm.

Oh, and you can even have the Orb back if you wish..*Smile

More:
    How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users - Windows 10 Forums
    Unable to customize Start menu Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Very like your question:
    Left-hand side start menu true customisation? - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  5. CJW
    CJW Win User
    Thanks for the reply & links.
    I did find the folders I was looking for & I can move some shortcuts around, but unfortunately not all are listed.
    I'll download Classic Shell I give it a go, thanks for the suggestion.

Thema:

1. Customizing the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Customizing Start Menu

2. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  3. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  4. Customizing Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Start Menu: [ATTACH] When I move or delete items in this folder^ the start menu doesn't change even when I reboot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/379fa108-dbbf-417e-a444-dfcdf48a0768
  5. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: When I try to edit start menu in Explorer it does let me make changes but my changes are not reflected on the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/0733cd6f-d942-4239-b4af-4d778204fb8e
  6. Customize Start Menu

Customize Start Menu: Greetings, Is it possible to customize the Start menu? Specifically, I want to move "Notification Manager for Acrobat Reader" to a custom folder. I was able to create an Adobe folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Normally, I can...
  7. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
  8. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Is there a way to put custom items here instead of a full list of programs in my PC? sort of winows 7 style? https://i.imgur.com/LVdbxwY.png 66926
  9. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi, I want like Windows 7, I see the file shortcuts (not folders) at the top of start menu rather than in its alphabet folder. I also want to disable showing alphabets A~Z and just show folders sorted by name. Is that possible without using a 3rd party application?...
  10. pin to start menu customizations

pin to start menu customizations: Where are start menu tiles (pinned shortcuts) stored? I can't find them. I want to customize the start menu and back it up to deploy elsewhere. 12877