Windows 10: D: Drive Gone After Power Cut

Discus and support D: Drive Gone After Power Cut in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So let me preface this by saying that I am no means a computer expert, and probably will not be able to provide the most useful information, but I will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tutore, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Tutore Win User

D: Drive Gone After Power Cut

So let me preface this by saying that I am no means a computer expert, and probably will not be able to provide the most useful information, but I will try. Basically my gaming laptop (Msi gs70 Stealth) turned off suddenly when I accidentally knocked out the charging cable and then I couldn't turn it back on unless I put it back in, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have a battery problem but that's not even my biggest concern. My biggest concern is that after I turned it back on my D: drive was straight up gone from my files, all icons to it broken just plain gone. I checked my files and the C: drive was fine but there was nothing next to it where the D: drive always was before. I was obviously very worried so I decided to the standard "lets hope this fixes it" solution and restarted the computer. This time as it loaded up it started to scan and repair the D: drive so I let it do its thing. 5 hours later it finishes and I go to check to see if the D: drive is back... but nothing it still was not there and I couldn't access it. I don't know how to get it back but if anyone knows anything that might help let me know, I don't want to have to replace it.

:)

Tutore, Sep 19, 2015
  2. Terrykato Win User

Installing with limited onboard memory?

I successfully updated an HP Stream 7 after adding a micro SD card as the D drive. After update there was 5.5GB of backup files on the D drive and the recovery partition was gone from the C drive.

Terrykato, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Sockism Win User
    D drive gone

Well I think it might be a hardware issue since my diskdrive wont open anymore, but thanks for all the help trying to figure it out while my D drive was secretly failing, I can't thank you enough.

Sockism, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Tutore Win User

Oh and another thing that I completely forgot to mention was that this isn't the first time something sort of like this happened to me while using one of these laptops. My first one (got replaced by warranty) overheated like crazy and after awhile (and a bunch of bluescreens) it just stopped working, it just constantly tried to repair the drives to no avail. We came to the conclusion that it overheated so bad it actually just fried something important. This one has been getting extremely hot too but never to the point of bluescreening, however its possible that the heat damaged some things. And just for clarity I keep the computer on a good cooling pad, but the overheating happens no matter what I do, even after a few minutes of browsing the internet it gets pretty darn hot.

Tutore, Sep 19, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Is the drive d: visible in Windows via Disk Management?
    And/or is the drive listed using Diskpart?

Edit: And welcome to the forum of course *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 19, 2015
  6. Tutore Win User
    I checked and it only shows the C: drive and 3 other ones that have no name, but all their capacities are really low so I don't think any of them are it.

Edit: and thanks for the warm welcome *Smile

Tutore, Sep 19, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    Try 1) Rebooting, 2) if you can, open your box and check the connections to the drive. or 3), I it's external, unplug it and plug it back in.

One thing I try is opening the Management console, right click on This PC, choose Manage and go to the device manager. Place your cursor in the right-hand pane and right click on the name of your PC at the very top, and hit "scan for hardware changes". Try that first, sometimes I have had hidden drives show up there. Then you can go into Disk Management and re-mount the drive if it shows up.

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Check the BIOS see if it shows there.

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    *Smile*Ditto

WhyMe, Sep 19, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Had a drive keep disappearing on me once, SSD, second place i would look, BIOS.

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  11. XweAponX Win User
    Yah BIOS, tritto!

I have an HP that uses an Asus M2N MB, and my drives drop off the Sata bus occasionally. If it happens once, it's a glitch. If it continues to drop off, the drive has problems- In which case run a SMART test on it. I eventually had to replace the drives that were dropping. They would vanish after a power outage, same thing.

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Sometimes a SATA port or SATA cable issue.

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  13. Tutore Win User

I hate to say it because it shows just how little I know but when I went into bios, I didn't know what to look at to see if it was there, I looked at everything but I couldn't even find anything about the C: drive so im sure I did something wrong

Tutore, Sep 19, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Could be different with each BIOS, Bios features. MSI one you lists has few different models, can you provide exact model, that way we can check for you. Go to manufacturer's site for manual

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  15. Tutore Win User
    Took a bit but I found the box gaming G series gs70 stealth is that better?

Tutore, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. D: Drive Gone After Power Cut - Similar Threads - Drive Gone Power

2. D Drive suddenly gone missing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    D Drive suddenly gone missing.: I was trying to clear some space from my C drive by moving some files over to my D Drive, and after emptying my recycling bin of some files I realized my D drive was no longer showing up at all. I can't imagine I accidentally deleted my D Drive, but I have no idea what has...
  3. My drive D and E are gone!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My drive D and E are gone!: After upgrading my ram and adding SSD, my drive E and drive D were gone. But a new partition came up with this name: reversed file. It has 237 mb used space but showing nothing even when my hidden file is on in view. In the past after connecting a USB ,this reversed file part...
  4. My drive D and E are gone!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My drive D and E are gone!: After upgrading my ram and adding SSD, my drive E and drive D were gone. But a new partition came up with this name: reversed file. It has 237 mb used space but showing nothing even when my hidden file is on in view. In the past after connecting a USB ,this reversed file part...
  5. D Drive is gone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive is gone.: My D:/ drive is completely gone. i've rescanned disks, tried resetting failed tried a fresh install also failed, i've tried automatic repair another fail. Can anyone help me?...
  6. D Drive is gone.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D Drive is gone.: My D:/ drive is completely gone. i've rescanned disks, tried resetting failed tried a fresh install also failed, i've tried automatic repair another fail. Can anyone help me?...
  7. D Drive is gone.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. D drive gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D drive gone: Hello,When i got my laptop it had a C drive and a D drive, and both were working fine up until yesterday. I got an error message and my D drive disappeared, it has a question mark over it and won't let me access it. Nothing seems to be working to fix it, I'm not sure what to...
  9. My D drive is gone after i formatted it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My D drive is gone after i formatted it.: i decided to completely reset my pc and reinstall windows, have been looking at the forums for a fix for this but found nothing that worked. I wanted the D drive reset as well so i formatted it and now it's just gone off my laptop. I don't know if they are one drive and you...
  10. D Drive and Download Folder Gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D Drive and Download Folder Gone: After a recent Windows 10 update my D Drive disappeared, and with it all folders and files stored under 'Downloads' (on my C drive). I use a DELL XPS13 laptop. The files are rather important in nature (work), and I would love to recover them. I tried to run a recovery...