Windows 10: D: drive missing since update (Win 10)

Discus and support D: drive missing since update (Win 10) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, First time poster! I recently updated my machine (Win 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.309). Since the update my D: drive has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018.

1. D: drive missing since update (Win 10)

Hi all,

First time poster!

I recently updated my machine (Win 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.309). Since the update my D: drive has vanished (Samsung SSD).
    I'm not very computer savvy, I use my machine for writing, surfing and photography.

I've been searching the web for answers but not really found a fix - some possible fixes go right over my head *Banghead

Anybody have any tips?

I'm running an Asus M/B, i7, 16GB, Radeon 280X, twin Samsung SSDs.

Thanks for any help.

Have a great day.

Leon.

:)

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  2. cararta Win User

make a windows recovery disc and a back up on a USB drive instead of a disc?

can I use a usb drive that has the downloaded Win 10

I didn't use for another Win 7 Pro

because the graphics needed upgrading.

For some reason the download is missing in the d drive partition on this computer.

cararta, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Delete Recovery Partition

This works as advertised but you lose the ability to create a recovery drive (you just deleted the necessary files in this procedure) so it would be wise to create a USB Recovery Drive before deleting the recovery partition that was created by Windows
    10. I deleted the recovery partition using the Partition Wizards Mini Tool which then allowed me to extend the C: drive but when I attempted to create a USB Recovery Drive, I got an error message saying some necessary files were missing. Luckily I created
    a USB Recovery Drive just after upgrading to Windows 10. On computers with a company recovery drive (like the D: HP Recovery Drive) that has the Windows 7 recovery info, my suggestion would be to delete the Win 7 recovery partition before upgrading to Win
    10 and then the Win 10 recovery partition doesn't get in the way of using all the available disk space for the C: drive since the Win 10 recovery partition is at the end of the HDD/SSD. Otherwise you end up with a Win 10 recovery partition between the C:
    drive and D: Primary Partition aka the HP Recovery Drive with the Win 7 recovery files that prevents you from extending C into the deleted D space (unless you want to keep the Win 7 recovery files). I've never used the disk recovery partition since I would
    prefer to use the OS original media instead (if Win 10 ever has an install disk which I guess it will after the free upgrade period is over).

Kenneth Goodwin, Mar 21, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

D: drive missing since update (Win 10)

Welcome to TenForums @LeonJersey

It could be as simple as the drive losing its drive letter. Post a screenshot of disk management and we'll be able to say for certain. This tutorial tells you how.

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

If the drive is shown in disk management without a drive letter it can be given back its D: letter. See this tutorial.

Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10

If disk management does not say 'Health' for the drive, or if you are unsure what to do, just post the screenshot so we can give further help.

5. Hi,

thanks for getting back to me.

D: drive missing since update (Win 10) [​IMG]

I did have two identical SSDs. Since the update the second drive has vanished. My desktop hasn't moved from under the desk *Huh

Leon.

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    The second SSD should appear in Disk Management as disk 1, but doesn't.

What exactly did you mean by "I recently updated my machine..."? Do you mean you have just updated it to 1709? Or was it something else?

Does Device Manager show any yellow warnings?

7. I updated to the creators update (I think it's called that - comes with Paint 3D).

Leon.

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  8. D: drive missing since update (Win 10)

Just been into device manager. No yellow warnings and only 1 drive is showing up.

Leon.

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Your version 1709 is the Fall Creators Update and the OS Build 16299.309 shows that it has the latest updates.

Click on Start, type device manager and run it. In Device Manager click View > Show hidden devices. Now click on the > to the left of 'Disk drives' to expand the list an show all disk drives. Take a screenshot and post it here.

10. It's showed up!!
    D: drive missing since update (Win 10) [​IMG]

Leon.

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  11. Ok, it says it isn't currently connected to the computer. I haven't moved it so I don't really understand what's gong on.
    Anyway, I'll shut done and get back to you in a moment...

Leon.

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  12. Bingo!

Somehow a wire came loose...

Anyway all fixed now.

Thanks for the help Bree - much appreciated mate *Wink

Leon *Party

LeonJersey, Mar 21, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

*Thumbs

Great news - 'check the cables' was going to be my next suggestion.

Thema:

1. D: drive missing since update (Win 10) - Similar Threads - drive missing since

2. missing d: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    missing d: drive: my recently installed d: is not in file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-d-drive/f25a365d-31af-45d7-8073-580b1581516f
  3. Driver C & D Missing since Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver C & D Missing since Windows 10 update: Last year I had a Windows 10 update and my HP laptop went awry . I started to try and fix it but got fed up so just started using a Lenovo instead. I have started trying to fix it Thursday and finally got in to the password section after 29 mins. It is totally up to date for...
  4. D Drive missing from This PC since Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    D Drive missing from This PC since Windows 10 Update: Since updating Windows 10 3 or 4 days ago, sometime the computer will load without D Drive. It does not show up in This Computer and when I try to access files on that drive, it says that it can't be found. I have tried shutting down and restarting the computer and...
  5. D Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D Drive Missing: Hello I was wondering if anyone had an answer to my problem. I left home early Thursday morning and everything was fine with my computer, but after I got home I turned it on and noticed my D drive was missing. How can I get my D drive back, and how can I prevent this...
  6. missing d drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    missing d drive: [ATTACH] hello i was just minding my own business but yesterday my d drive disappeared randomly prob cause of an update? i was wondering if i can get any help of retrieving my d drive and my files T T new simple volume and other options has been greyed out in the disk 1...
  7. Missing D drive

Missing D drive: I was stuck in preparing automatic repair loop for 2 days and somehow managed to system restore to two days previously which seemed to solve the problem. However, I have now lost my D drive. In Disk management I have Disk 1 partition 1; 100MB; Windows C, 16.52 GB and WINRE...
  8. D Drive missing

D Drive missing: My D drive keeps randomly disappearing. I've gone into Disk Management, and it is not there at all. Nothing to recover or reassign. Sometimes I can restart my computer and it reappears, but this is inconsistent. Thoughts?...
  9. D: Drive is missing

D: Drive is missing: Hello! My laptop ran out of charge before yesterday so I charged it and opened it up, then I suddenly found that my D: Drive which contains all my games and important files is missing. It's been 2 days now and I have yet to find an actual working solution. Someone please...
  10. since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet: After using Windows 7 for years, I was finally convinced to d/l Win 10. On my main computer, (this one) all is well now; initially Win 10 could not d/l updates, but I got that sorted. However my second conputer (Gigiabyte GA H61M S2PV, 4Gbram, i3 2nd gen processor) has not...