Windows 10: dafault language does not seem to have option to change

Discus and support dafault language does not seem to have option to change in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I installed greek language so that I could use the occasional word in greek. This worked fine, until I rebooted. I had noticed that "Region and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FergusPearson, Jul 30, 2018.

1. dafault language does not seem to have option to change

I installed greek language so that I could use the occasional word in greek. This worked fine, until I rebooted. I had noticed that "Region and Language" was threatening that on reboot the default language would be Greek, but there was no option to change it - the drop-down list only allowed the entry that was already there (Greek). So I made sure English was the top of the list of languages, hoping that this would automatically trigger it to the default language.

When I rebooted the default language is now Greek, and as I can't read Greek (I can decipher the letters, but that is all) I can't work out how to change it. I have managed to get to the Regions and Language screen, but none of the languages installed has a "change default language" button - only what I think are 'options' (επιλογες) and 'delete'.

Can anyone help please??

I don't know what verion of WIn 10 I'm using (I can't find out!) but I only bought this computer new about three weeks ago.

:)

FergusPearson, Jul 30, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Jul 30, 2018
  3. change display language

/Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to check if you are able to change the language in the lock screen by following the steps below:

• In the lock screen click on the last icon from the right.
    • Select English from the menu.

If this option is not available, in the lock screen, hold the Windows key and use Space bar key to change language.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 30, 2018
  4. dafault language does not seem to have option to change

unable to change the language of UI

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To assist you better I would like to know, what was the base language for your previous Operating system?

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove the Existing language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on the Option adjacent to the
      Existing language.

• Click on remove under input method.
    Step 2: Add English Language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on Add language.

• Add the English language from the given list.

If you want a language pack:

You may refer to the suggestions posted by Andre Da Costa on the following thread.

Can I change language in Windows 10 Home edition?

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

dafault language does not seem to have option to change

1. dafault language does not seem to have option to change - Similar Threads - dafault language does

2. How to change the keyboard layout order for the SAME language in Language Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the keyboard layout order for the SAME language in Language Options: I use two languages in my desktop: Italian and English. I also use two different Italian keyboards layouts: the standard one and an enhanced one with several more characters by using AltGr. In Windows settings I can reorder languages but not layouts in the same language. In...
  3. How to change the keyboard layout order for the SAME language in Language Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the keyboard layout order for the SAME language in Language Options: I use two languages in my desktop: Italian and English. I also use two different Italian keyboards layouts: the standard one and an enhanced one with several more characters by using AltGr. In Windows settings I can reorder languages but not layouts in the same language. In...
  4. Regedit, manually undo changes does not seem to have an effect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit, manually undo changes does not seem to have an effect.: Hello, So I was trying to follow step from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search boxRight-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as...
  5. Language Option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Language Option: I have three preferred languages on my Windows 10 system, i.e. English South Africa, English United States and Afrikaans in that order. I would like my calendar and maybe some other apps to be in Afrikaans, and everything else in English. Is there some setting somewhere that...
  6. A bunch of these language packs seem to have installed themselves on my new pc, they seem...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A bunch of these language packs seem to have installed themselves on my new pc, they seem...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ben9096 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fq6dud/a_bunch_of_these_language_packs_seem_to_have/
  7. Changing key sequence without language option

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing key sequence without language option: Hi, I need to be able to switch between Japanese and English languages in Respondus Lockdown browser for a university course I'm taking. However, the lack of a language option (known bug in Windows 10) is preventing me from doing so....
  8. Keyboard seems to have changed locale

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard seems to have changed locale: A nuisance I've observed several times is that when Windows 10 wants to reboot to install updates it changes some of the keys on the keyboard. @ and " are swapped, and the hash key gives \. The \ key also gives \ so I don't have hash. Normally this can be cured by a reboot,...
  9. Language options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Language options: I often need to switch quickly between UK English and two other languages, for which I use the Windows key and space bar. US English keeps reappearing, even though I've removed it. This means I have to click through two English options to get to the other languages, which is...
  10. Language does not change in all texts

in Windows 10 Support
    Language does not change in all texts: [img] As you can see on screen, I changed language from German to Slovak ,but not all text have changed. How can I solve this? Thank you. 23047