Windows 10: Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Discus and support Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jan 19, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Hi folks

If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including Windows machines.

For windows it's easy enough --file explorer to search network drives and connect -

For Linux you can issue a mount -t cifs command to mount the remote share -- don't use the -t smbfs any more it's obsolete if it even works at all.

The bonkers thing about this is if the mount point is defined as a samba share on server 2 then the HDD from server 1 can be accessed by any system having access to server 2 even if they don't have access to server 1 i.e "Daisy chaining" samba shares. !!!!!

This saves moving external HDD's around for example when testing servers etc. You'll get network speed of course but with a decent network should all be fine.

so

1) get IP address of remote server

2) issue mount command like the screen shot

3) enter password for the remote share at the prompt (shown in white here).

Seasoned linux users won't have a problem but I know a lot of people on this board are experimenting with NAS type servers etc and this type of command isn't always easy to find in the documentation.

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s) [​IMG]

Now on Windows you see my samba share HDD1 on server 2 is actually the content from SERVER 1 which doesn't have access (or vice versa) to the windows machine

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s) [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 19, 2018

2. SMB writes to remote computer freezes or dropps to 5kbs after creator update

After installing Windows [Version 10.0.15063] my access to NAS (RaspberryPI with USB disks connected) is nearly impossible.

Coping even few megabytes to the NAS takes a long time (minutes) and often does not finish - no errors on the Samba end , just connection from Windows goes dead. Speed seems to be around 5KB/s.

Same network and same NAS with my laptop :
    Windows [Version 10.0.14393] and all is working fine - 20+ MB/s - which is what I can expect from this setup and is enough for documents and source code backups.

Reading from the NAS Samba share is fast.

Reading from the laptops' share is fast.

Writing to laptops' share is 5KB/s slow as well. Laptop is sharing folder using the normal Windows SMB. All Microsoft.

Writing to NAS share , SAMBA , is slow.

Looks like any writes I do from the Creator Update computer are slow. Very Slow.

Has anybody got similar problem or solutions to a very slow , unreliable connection to SMB/Samba after the creators update?

PawelWarnenski, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

It seems to be a problem with the samba protocol, the problem is only on a NAS running linux. A large majority of NAS are using samba protocol for file sharing, that's a big problem...

boustalahit, Jan 19, 2018
Thema:

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

1. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s) - Similar Threads - Daisy chaining NAS

2. DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work: I'm using a Dell Monitor that supports DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy Chain while the OSD configuration is enabled. The second screen is an MSI MAG271C and for the past 2 years using this configuration to expand windows desktop has worked without issue, but upon waking up the computer...
  3. Daisy-chaining on new PC not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Daisy-chaining on new PC not working: Hi, I have a dual monitor set-up, both Lenovo P24h-10, monitor A being my 'main' monitor connected to either my work laptop via USB-C or my personal computer using DP. My secondary monitor, let's call it monitor B, is connected to monitor A via DP out. Monitor B input is...
  4. Daisy-chaining on new PC not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Daisy-chaining on new PC not working: Hi, I have a dual monitor set-up, both Lenovo P24h-10, monitor A being my 'main' monitor connected to either my work laptop via USB-C or my personal computer using DP. My secondary monitor, let's call it monitor B, is connected to monitor A via DP out. Monitor B input is...
  5. HDMI & DisplayPort Daisy Chain?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI & DisplayPort Daisy Chain?: Can I take HDMI out of my laptop, into a monitor, and then DisplayPort out of that monitor into a second monitor?I've tried, and can't make it work.Is there a setting or is this not possible?Thanks....
  6. Daisy-chaining mirrors instead of extending displays

in Windows 10 Support
    Daisy-chaining mirrors instead of extending displays: Runnig MSI GT80 Titan SLI, with dual Nvidia 980m. Two monitors are Dell U3014, both. I run this config: CPU -> mini-DP to DP on primary U3014 - DP-out to DP-in (Secondary Dell U3014) the monitors are mirrored. Windows sees daisy-chained monitors as a single U3014. I have...
  7. 5 Monitors - One Gpu with Daisy Chain DP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    5 Monitors - One Gpu with Daisy Chain DP: I've been trying to get 5 monitors working with one GPU but having a few issues. As most know, nvidia limits display output to 4 windows. I was hoping to get around that by daisy chaining two monitors with DP. After trying a few different set ups, I can't seem to get windows...
  8. NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing: Hi folks couldn't get SAMBA v4.11 working at all (4.10.X was OK) however provided you upgrade on your NAS systems to Samba 4.12.2 or later it is working again --especially if you need to use / access older non Windows devices that still need SMB1 in the [global] section of...
  9. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  10. Network question Daisy chaining shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network question Daisy chaining shares: Hi folks If I have a NAS / LINUX server and a Windows machine on a network I can mount a Windows drive on to the NAS server and if it's mounted on a SAMBA share e.g /mnt/sharename then anybody who has access to the server can also access the Windows share (assuming right...