Windows 10: Damaged disc

Discus and support Damaged disc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The 64 bit windows 10 installation disc I have is beyond help-so they tell me. I have the activation number that has never been used along with the UPC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spooky24, Dec 6, 2016.

1. spooky24 Win User

Damaged disc

The 64 bit windows 10 installation disc I have is beyond help-so they tell me. I have the activation number that has never been used along with the UPC code as well.
    Can any Win ten be used to install? I want to install it on my windows 8 pro machine.
    Perhaps, I could install it from a Windows.com download?

:)

spooky24, Dec 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 continually restarts the desktop and gives a message "repairing disc errors". Do I genuinely have a hard disc problem or is there really a Windows error?

Windows 10 frequently restarts several times and says it is repairing disc damage. Is this genuinely disc damage or a windows error? PC is 6 years old. What should I do please!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Stevegreen7777, Dec 6, 2016
  3. Gino Des Win User
    How to open a CDR disk in Windows 10

Hi,

You might be experiencing this issue because the drive or disc is damaged. Device driver conflict can also cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Do you only experience this issue on this particular disc? Are you able to open other discs?
    • Can you see physical damage or scratches on the disc?
    • Have you tried opening the disc on another computer or laptop?
    • What is the make and model of your laptop?

Looking forward to your reply.

Gino Des, Dec 6, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Damaged disc

Download a new iso from microsoft.com. You do not need the activation number, since it is kept in Microsoft's servers.

bro67, Dec 6, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    All this info is based on whether this is a retail disc. Keep the activation number in a safe place for future use, as you can use on any one one device at any time. Is the disc Home or Pro ? Get an ISO here (select Win10, covers Pro and Home but activation number will only be good for version on your retail DVD) -
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

mrgeek, Dec 7, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    Chances are you will not have to use key to validate Win 10 pro, I am pretty sure Microsoft is still letting Win 7 and 8 to upgrade for free.

I was reading a post on another forum (SpiceWorks) last week that more than one person was allowed to upgrade Win 7 for free.

If you want to download the ISO direct from Microsoft go here:
    Windows 10 ISO

Edit:
    lol same link as Mrgeek

sml156, Dec 7, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    I agree that it can't hurt to try and see if free upgrade will go thru. One advantage is, if it does, he can get Win10 Pro w/o having to buy a Pro DVD (assuming he has a retail Home). Just needs to hit 'Skip' or 'Activate later', which ever dialogue comes up.

mrgeek, Dec 7, 2016
  8. spooky24 Win User

Damaged disc

Thanks for the advice-I guess that means burning it to a disc.

Another thing: This might want a separate thread but I bought windows 8.1 full version and now I'm told to get another (buy) activation code although the code is on the disc when I installed it.

Whats up with that? I have been a loyal costumer for Microsoft for 20 years! .Anyone remember Windows ME or 95?

spooky24, Dec 8, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "I guess that means burning it to a disc."
    So, the copy you bought was a downloaded copy ?

"I bought windows 8.1 full version and now I'm told to get another (buy) activation code although the code is on the disc when I installed it."
    You can only use that code on only one device at any time. You do not need an activation code for a 10 upgrade but you do have to install 8.1 from the full version first and activate it.

To get better advice, you need to clarify just what the 64 bit windows 10 installation disc that you refer to in post 1 is, a physical DVD from a retailer or a downloaded copy that you burned or just a downloaded ISO.

mrgeek, Dec 9, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    No you don't have to install Win 8 and then do the update to Win 10.

You can install Win 10 and use the Win 8 key to activate Windows 10

sml156, Dec 9, 2016
  11. spooky24 Win User
    OK-I have the windows 10 disc but but the 64 bit is damaged I have never installed it nor used the activation code.

The windows 8.1 disc that I bought didn't come with a code because it's on the disc. So I can't upgrade with the code-that is on the disc. How can I find it without buying a code from Microsoft.
    It continues to tell me to that I need to activate and the code is on the disc. It runs fine and I still get all the updates but every week or so it ask me 'activate'. It's really not a big deal I just don't know how the get the code from the disc and use it. There are programs that say they can 'find' it-one of them is called Keyfinder but I don't trust it seems like some kind of malware loader.

spooky24, Dec 9, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Full retail versions of Windows, whether it is Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 come with PRINTED product keys. They do not come with product keys "on the disc". The only Windows discs that come with product keys "on the disc" are manufacturer OEM discs that only work with the specific computers they were made for because the "product keys on the disc" are not standalone product keys that will activate by themselves - they are product keys that are matched against a product key stored in BIOS/UEFI and the combination of the two activates the Windows. This is called OEM:SLM which stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer:System Locked Pre-installation. The product key is pre-installed - half in bios, half on the disc and it is locked to that particular system.

If you have a PRINTED product key for Windows and no good disc for it, then you will have to download the version of Windows that product key is good for and burn your own disc (or USB flash drive) for it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  13. spooky24 Win User

Damaged disc

Need some help here

Everything is ready to install. Somehow someone said I should boot from USB.. I did everything they told me
    . I made the USB bootable-it has the new win10 on it it was a download-. If I try to do anything now a FREECON window shows up and is asking for a command????
    If I remove the USB it will not boot up at all.
    I went back into the BIOS and changed the boot order back to where it was. It is the same thing-stuck on this command. I used a program-Rufus-to help making the USB bootable Now it wants a command.

Why do I do these things to my self. The other matter last week I went ahead and purchased the code from Microsoft.

1. I was stupid and fell for the boot USB-in one easy step
    2. The 10 download I moved it back to the USB after it was formatted.
    3. What I thought I was doing was the USB would boot and start installing Windows.
    NOPE
    4. A FREECON page ask for a command-when I remove the USB-Windows will not start because it's missing a boot file.

I just went back into the BIOS and moved the boot sequence so the disc with Windows 8-that I am upgrading to Win10 is first but still it is missing a boot file-If I put the USB back in and restart it goes to the hardware page and wants a command to continue.
    I'm trying to explain this the best I can.
    It comes up with this:FreeDOS kernel 2041 C:/ I wonder if I took the little round battery out of the motherboard and reset everything would that help.

spooky24, Dec 21, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    You picked the wrong options in Rufus which is very easy and common to do. When I get home and not on my phone I'll post a reliable way to make a bootable USB flash drive.

OK... You'll need a Windows 10 ISO file. If you still have one downloaded that you were going to use with Rufus, it will work. I like to get mine from here:
    Microsoft Windows 10 ISO download

More than likely you want just the plain Windows 10 ISO file - not Single Language and not N version - unless you are 100% sure your previous installation was THE Single Language Edition or N edition. The just plain Windows 10 ISO file will have both Home and Pro in it.

Prepare the USB flash drive this way:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, read the important box below it. You will want to format it as FAT32:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

For step 12, you will mount the ISO file. In Windows 8 or 10 just right click on it and select Mount. In Windows 7 you will have to use a third party program like WinCDEmu to mount it:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...

When it is mounted, it will open in a drive letter, a virtual DVD drive. Copy all the files and folders from the virtual DVD drive to the USB flash drive. Then you will have a USB flash drive that is bootable with both UEFI and legacy BIOS.

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  15. spooky24 Win User
    Thanks guys-it worked out fine. It never ask for my authorization code but that may come later I guess. Also, it will not allow me to change the boot time in msconfig-it makes me wait for 30seconds. It says it can't find the original boot settings-or something like that.
    My short term memory is somewhat shot at times and I need to be reminded of things-thanks for the help

spooky24, Dec 30, 2016
Thema:

Damaged disc

1. Damaged disc - Similar Threads - Damaged disc

2. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...: I don't know my password and I can't use command prompt as my account is not the main account. I can use it but with limitations. I've tried all i can with it and i can't do much. I used the start menu and when i tried to factory reset it using all the options it gave me many...
  3. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...: I don't know my password and I can't use command prompt as my account is not the main account. I can use it but with limitations. I've tried all i can with it and i can't do much. I used the start menu and when i tried to factory reset it using all the options it gave me many...
  4. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...: Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now I can't use some of the keys. I have try some suggestions but still not working. Please help.....
  6. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...: Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now I can't use some of the keys. I have try some suggestions but still not working. Please help.....
  7. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive,: my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-file-explorer-is-damaged-i-can-no-longer-access/d1e0c6c5-207f-441c-99fb-ec1533f80f79
  9. my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive,

my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive,: my file explorer is damaged. I can no longer access my personal files from my C: drive, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-file-explorer-is-damaged-i-can-no-longer-access/d1e0c6c5-207f-441c-99fb-ec1533f80f79
  10. Is Microsoft pay for my damage ram or motherboard? Because of new update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Microsoft pay for my damage ram or motherboard? Because of new update: I update my pc 6th of March 2024 and Microsoft new update damage my ram and bios chipset I spend 2000 Rs on my motherboard because of Microsoft new window update. I am asking is Microsoft pay for my ram and motherboard I can't trust Microsoft anymore...