Windows 10: Damaged Window 7 will trying to install Windows 10

Discus and support Damaged Window 7 will trying to install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The programming got stuck while “Getting updates". After waiting 4 or 5 hours, before I knew about this Forum, I searched Google, which brought me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiffSine, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DiffSine Win User

Damaged Window 7 will trying to install Windows 10

The programming got stuck while “Getting updates". After waiting 4 or 5 hours, before I knew about this Forum, I searched Google, which brought me to try a “clean boot” following the Microsoft steps from this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    That failed. A restart window did not appear, so I forced a restart from the start menu. Now, Windows won’t open for longer than ~100 seconds before the blue system-protection screen takes over and shuts down the PC.

I can open in Safe Mode, but I have not been able to get System restore to work.
    I keep getting this Error:
    “System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A Volume Copy Shadow Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302)

Tracing this error down seems futile and very time consuming.
    I’d like to:
    1. Run Windows 10 Upgrade App in Safe Mode.
    2. Wipe a Hard Drive Clean and install windows 10 from scratch.
    3. Try to get System Restore to work.
    Any help in one of these directions would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

:)

DiffSine, Feb 28, 2016

2. Can I Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10 for Free?

Windows 7 is not good OS if you install it or reinstall. Always Windoqs 7 damage harddrive. Lot of my friwbds this problem is. Windows XP is better because it dont damage disc.

Arnis Linas, Feb 28, 2016
  3. mwiandi Win User
    HTC 7 Mozart not recognized by Zune

When i try to install the device drivers for HTC 7 Mozart on Windows 7, i get the error "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

mwiandi, Feb 28, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi DiffSine and welcome to Tenforums.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had upgrading from W7.

You don't have to "upgrade" anymore - you can do a clean install of W10 and just use your W7 key to activate now.
    See option #1 here, to download the latest ISO from MS TechBench:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

And here's a tool to grab your keycode
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Hope that helps!

simrick, Feb 28, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    If windows 7 was oem preinstalled, then it is very likely the key extracted by showkeyplus will not work. For retail, or self installed oem, it will be fine.

For preinstalled oem, you have to use the COA key, normally on a blue sticker on base of pc. If you do not know the COA key, do not clean install. This only applies to clean installs, not upgrade (sometimes people confuse an upgrade removing old files wth a clean install).

cereberus, Feb 28, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Too late this time - but before attempting anything like this BACKUP your old system First - plenty of free programs to do this with.

It helps also if you have just the OS and programs in one partition or on one HDD/SSD.

Note if you are using an MBR (I.e non UEFI) boot system your system will fail on install if you have a number of partitions / HDD's and an SD card inserted into your machine -- remove the SD card -- what can happen is you'll get messages Windows cannot install to this partition. Once W10 is installed the SD card should be fine again to use.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 28, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Actually, I have a W7 OEM installation on which I just compared Showkey and Belarc Advisor - same key. It works fine.

simrick, Feb 28, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Then Windows 7 must have been reinstalled at some time using COA key, or it was not preinstalled at the factory using the usual oem-slp key system used by the majors e.g. Dell, HP etc.

cereberus, Feb 28, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    It was pre-installed at the factory by HP. It's still the original install - has never been reinstalled on this system.

simrick, Feb 28, 2016
  10. DiffSine Win User
    Thanks simrick , cereberus & Jimbo.
    I will try to try to create an Installation USB stick following link mentioned yesterday;
    Windows 10 ISO Download
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html
    It seems well documented.
    I will try using the “Media Creation Tool”described at that site first.

The Key code for Windows 7 is another story, since this 6 year laptop came with XP and I had it Upgraded to Windows 7 at the Microsoft Store in Seattle. I still have the box, disk and KEY. I have a pdf copy of the Belark Advisor computer Profile from2011 I'll see what Key codes works when I get there.

This forum is great!
    I will upgrade my new laptop and my sisters lap top, once I learn the best way to back up file and set recovery points.
    That will have to wait till I have more time tomorrow.
    Thanks,

DiffSine, Feb 28, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Make images of your drive using Macrium Reflect Free.

simrick, Feb 28, 2016
  12. DiffSine Win User
    March 4, 2016
    I made many attempts, to try and use simrick’s suggestion from
    Windows 10 ISO Download by Brink28 July 2015
    >>> Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

With Option One:

I downloaded the ISO files on to a Flash on a working PC and could not ‘open’ it on the not broken PC in Safe Mode.
    1. Not from the Flash
    2. Not when transferred to the Desktop
    3. Not after installing and using a Virtual Clone Drive from SlySoft.I never worked with an .iso file before. I am not sure how windows will ‘open’ it.

With Option Two:
    1. I created a USB installation Flash using the media creation tool.
    2. It would walk itself just so far before I was told it would not work in Safe Mode.

So I’m back to square one.

Does anyone which of these options will work in SAFEMODE?
    1. Run Windows 10 Upgrade App in Safe Mode.
    2. Wipe a Hard Drive Clean and install windows 10 from scratch.
    3. Try to get "System Restore" to work.Any help in one of these directions would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

DiffSine, Mar 4, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Hi.
    For a clean install, you must set your BIOS to boot from the install media. Once you've booted to the install media, you can clean install W10. You can't do the install in W7 Safe Mode. You need to boot from the W10 install media. You can clean install and use your W7 key to activate it.

Hope I've understood your question correctly.

simrick, Mar 4, 2016
  14. DiffSine Win User
    Simrick,
    By "Install Media" do you mean the USB drive with the "Win10_1511_English_x32.iso"installed.

I hit F2 on start up and went into the Setup, I selected Boot from USB and exited with saving changes.
    But when I restart it comes back up into Win-7. Because it was damaged last week, it will only stay in Win-7 for 60 – 90 seconds before shutting down.
    Using the USB installation Flash created the media creation tool didn’t seem to work either.

I'm sorry, this is getting a bit out of my depth.
    So what do mean by install media and can I just put the 2.9 GB, 32 bit, .iso file on it?
    Thanks,

DiffSine, Mar 4, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Yes, sorry, your install media is either a DVD with the ISO on it, or the flash drive you create with the ISO files on it.

Okay, you can't get it to boot from the USB stick at all? I mean, that's a BIOS setting, and really has nothing to do with what operating system is on the machine. If you save changes, telling it to boot from USB, it will - unless the USB is not set up correctly. But you said you made it from the Windows Media Creation Tool, right? So it should be good.

Usually, when you do the one-time-boot-change command, you tell it what to boot from, and it will reboot, and there will be a line on the screen that says "press a key to boot from..." - you press that key, and it boots from what you told it to use. The command for a one-time-boot change, usually F10 or F11 or F12 or Del (not sure, depends on your system). I think yours is F12, from what I see on a Google search.

Another option would be to just restore the W7 from the hidden Toshiba restore partition, and do the upgrade that way. I'll have to research how to access the recovery partition to restore to factory condition for you.

EDIT: Scratch that - I just remembered you had upgraded to W7....

simrick, Mar 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Damaged Window 7 will trying to install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Damaged Window trying

2. Tried to install Windows 10 computer reset to windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to install Windows 10 computer reset to windows 7: So I attempted to download windows 10 on an older computer and it did not go well. I got the black screen, managed to fix it computer went back to 8.1 and things were good for weeks.Computer loaded normally today until it just stopped after trying to install a firefox...
  3. Tried to install Windows 10 computer reset to windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to install Windows 10 computer reset to windows 7: So I attempted to download windows 10 on an older computer and it did not go well. I got the black screen, managed to fix it computer went back to 8.1 and things were good for weeks.Computer loaded normally today until it just stopped after trying to install a firefox...
  4. Windows 7 File Damage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 File Damage: Lately I experienced about three BSOD and believe it may be due to my using one program in particular. After the last one I ran security programs I usually run: McAfee Stinger, Emisoft Emergency Kit Scanner and Spybot Search And Destroy. MSE is on this computer and it...
  5. Windows 7 File Damage

Windows 7 File Damage: Lately I experienced about three BSOD and believe it may be due to my using one program in particular. After the last one I ran security programs I usually run: McAfee Stinger, Emisoft Emergency Kit Scanner and Spybot Search And Destroy. MSE is on this computer and it...
  6. Trying to install windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install windows 7: I’m trying to install windows 7 on my Lenovo ideapad 330 because of my laptop became so slow after I updated my laptop to windows 10 and when I tried to install windows 7 again, at the set up process after I installed windows 7 the laptop didn’t react to anything I’ve done so...
  7. Trying to install windows 7

Trying to install windows 7: I’m trying to install windows 7 on my Lenovo ideapad 330 because of my laptop became so slow after I updated my laptop to windows 10 and when I tried to install windows 7 again, at the set up process after I installed windows 7 the laptop didn’t react to anything I’ve done so...
  8. Damaged windows install trying to retrieve data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Damaged windows install trying to retrieve data: So I got a drive with windows 10 on and the install is damaged and now can't install windows 10 on it so I can retrieve my data since its says it not the right format or somthing to install windows on but I can't format the drive without losing all my data on it and I using a...
  9. Trying to install windows 10 onto a windows 7 computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install windows 10 onto a windows 7 computer: Every time I try to download any software I get "The sub system needed to support image is not present" Can you advise me how to get around this. Thanks Bob...
  10. Windows 10 damaged / damaged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 damaged / damaged: Sometimes I have received (or what it seems) a Windows notification to say that it is damaged and I need to carry out instructions to prevent my files from being deleted. There is a countdown timer and a sharp beep that is really annoying. Is there anything I can run from...