Windows 10: Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot

Discus and support Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; One of the most dangerous forms of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot Malicious loaders delivered by self-extracting Dropbox files... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot

One of the most dangerous forms of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot

One of the most dangerous forms of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot | ZDNet

:)

Borg 386, Mar 29, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Ripping a CD onto my computer with Windows 10

"select the rip CD button" does not exist.

Has to be unique?, Mar 29, 2017
  4. Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot

Cerber: Analyzing a Ransomware Attack Methodology To Enable Protection Threat Research Blog

And all it takes to prevent it and majority of malware is this (most users do not need WSH).
    Getting rid of powershell helps enormously too, but some users might find it bothersome.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

The reason, AV companies do not post details, so people would not know, how easy it is to avoid, without AV.

TairikuOkami, Mar 30, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If a computer has this sort of problem -- DO NOT EVEN THINK about "repairing it in situ" - CLEAN RESTORE is the only 100% OK solution. Also registry hacks are a waste of time --if some of this evil Ransomware is as sophisticated as it seems to be it will easily get round those "protections".

1) Always have a CLEAN backup of your OS - No excuse not to - Free Macrium works very well indeed and can be booted off a USB.

2) Backup OS regularly - preferably nightly and keep say 3 copies OFFLINE of course

3) Keep OS+applications SEPARATE from your DATA (e,g photos, music, videos, office documents etc)

4) backup important data every so often

5) If Ransomware rears its ugly head -- SWITCH OFF COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY -- Do not use shutdown etc --simply Hard power off.

6) (optional) re-format OS partition (including system reserved one) HDD with a bootable program such as windows recovery Disc --

7) Boot stand alone Macrium and restore clean copy of OS.

8) verify your data files

Then have a nice stiff drink and make the appropriate - I believe is it the "2 fingered salute" to those scumbags who think they are clever dishing out Ransomware. Your computer is now as good as new again !!!!

Note -- to those who know Linux an excellent GUI for copying / comparing / verifying files etc is GRSYNC.
    I use this one almost exclusively for backing up DATA but that's another issue.

Further note to anybody reading this thread -- I've posted (as others) almost AD NAUSEAM the importance of BACKUPS -- it hardly takes long these days to back up the OS and external HDD's are mega cheap too.

THERE IS SIMPLY NO EXCUSE FOR NOT TAKING BACKUPS

- and if people did take backups then 99% of the problems encountered in this section of the Forum would be avoided.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot

1. Dangerous form of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot - Similar Threads - Dangerous form ransomware

2. Connecting to the internet got harder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to the internet got harder: Hello! My network got broken, so there is a new network in my house, but if I connect to it, explorer crashes and it sometimes connects but most likely it won't. Could someone try to fix this? This only happens on my backup internet....
  3. My computer and network has Ransomware on it:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer and network has Ransomware on it:: There is ongoing incessant and unmerciful harrasment going on towards me that is making me sick at the thought of going to work.I'm fairly certain that my computer has a worm on it that I do not know how to get rid of. It is also on my phone. Last night; before my whole...
  4. My computer and network has Ransomware on it:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer and network has Ransomware on it:: There is ongoing incessant and unmerciful harrasment going on towards me that is making me sick at the thought of going to work.I'm fairly certain that my computer has a worm on it that I do not know how to get rid of. It is also on my phone. Last night; before my whole...
  5. My computer and network has Ransomware on it:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 has evolved into nothing but Malware!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 has evolved into nothing but Malware!!: I have done three clean installs trying to solve the following issues; and every time Windows 10 and/or OneDrive change things to "there" way. I set Windows up during install to save everything to my PC. No matter how many times I disable backup in OneDrive, it turns it back...
  7. I just got hit with Ransomware ADAME

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I just got hit with Ransomware ADAME: All of my files on my external hard drive just got encrypted. I removed all of the viruses with malwarebytes, but now every single one of my files have the extension " .id[42B18849-2275].[[email protected]].Adame " Is there any way to remove the extension and recover my...
  8. Just got Elite Dangerous

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just got Elite Dangerous: from Steam £4.99. I presume its single play, dont like multiplay. Tried training target practise, keeping ship on target was the hardest. 100876
  9. Dangerous Links: Did I just click on a malicious link?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dangerous Links: Did I just click on a malicious link?: I may sound paranoid, but I know my personal information can be accessed by me just clicking on a link as this happened to me earlier in the year. Is there some kind of "online scanner" I can use to check if a link contains malicious intentions like if it wants to steal my...
  10. Ransomware: a declining nuisance or an evolving menace?

in Windows 10 News
    Ransomware: a declining nuisance or an evolving menace?: The volume of ransomware encounters is on a downward trend. Are we seeing the beginning of the end of this vicious threat?Unfortunately, a look at the attack vectors, the number of unique families released into the wild, and the improvements in malware code reveals otherwise....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. security center failed to validate caller with error dc040780 trend micro