Windows 10: Data Corrupted by Defragmentation

Discus and support Data Corrupted by Defragmentation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is my first post in this forum. The Problem: Today, I decided to defragment and optimise my 2TB external Hard Disk using Auslogics Defragmenter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mycroft2046, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Data Corrupted by Defragmentation

This is my first post in this forum.
    The Problem:
    Today, I decided to defragment and optimise my 2TB external Hard Disk using Auslogics Defragmenter. Now, a little background here. The partition that I defragmented was a 1.8TB partition encrypted by VeraCrypt, a fork of TrueCrypt. After the defragmentation was completed, I found that several files have been corrupted. The files in which I could detect the corruption were all compressed files, compressed using Windows 10's default compression. I opened the files up in WinHex and I saw a curious thing: The end of all these corrupted files had a block of "DF DF DF" sequence. I am attaching a screenshot to illustrate the matter. Here is the Screenshot of the Problem.

Data Corrupted by Defragmentation [​IMG]

Please note that, though the picture shows it's an arc file, it was still compressed by Windows compression. The curious thing is that, even though the files had those DF chunks, a cursory HEX Search of the raw data hard drive did not yield any such sequence. Of course, I didn't have the time to scan the whole 2TB HDD for those sequences.

I was scouring the internet for any sort of clue and I have found this: farmanager.com/enforum/viewtopic.php?t=318. Is the DF chunk some sort of compression voodoo?
    Could you tell me if there is any way to possibly solve the problem? I already ran a Data Recovery Software but to no avail. I am absolutely frantic, and would be grateful if you could kindly help me solve the problem.

:)

Mycroft2046, Jun 16, 2016

2. Nokia X6 very slow

You can simply connect your handset in mass storage mode and deal with it as if it is a flash drive:

Open your defragmenter like Auslogics disk defrag (a speedy one is recommended), and you will find your mass memory on the list of drives available for defragmentation.

After you're done with it, restart you handset to avoid any mass memory corrupt, and that's it :smileywink:

Hope it helps.

Hero1234---01, Jun 16, 2016
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jun 16, 2016
Thema:

Data Corrupted by Defragmentation

1. Data Corrupted by Defragmentation - Similar Threads - Data Corrupted Defragmentation

2. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  3. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  4. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Configuration data corrupt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuration data corrupt: Hello, upon startup, I receive a blue screen error “The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.” The OK button does not work and I am unable to enter safemode. I have no Windows 10 discs but do possess serial numbers. Any...
  6. Defragmenter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defragmenter: Since doing the Windows 10 May 2020 update last week my Disk Defragmenter /Optimiser shows not run. I have run the optimiser which seems to work OK but when I next reboot it shows not run ! I have performed a Scannow scan unsure what to try next any feedback would be...
  7. Defragmentation

Defragmentation: I have been trying to Defrag windows10 but every time it completes analysing the hardrive, it resets itself to analysing again instead of Defraging the System, any help would greatly be appreciated...
  8. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragmentation: My pc is not completing the defragmentation windows pop up and message saying I am not in Administrator A/c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/19327b67-a672-4ead-9ec0-eed5edf6ffa1
  9. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defragmentation: My D folder (system folder) is showing 100% fragmented. I have run multiple times disk defragmentation, analyze and optimize but it remains unchanged. It would really be nice if any suggestion could solve this problem. TiA....
  10. Defragmentation

Defragmentation: I cannot defrag my computer in Windows 10. According to theinstructions, I have to choose the search bar on the taskbar but I cannot find a search bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/defragmentation/f2a19ae8-9cf5-4a80-aae6-20f93ddd8df0