Windows 10: Date Last Modified year field is set to the year 2036 on some files

Discus and support Date Last Modified year field is set to the year 2036 on some files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Looking at the Last Modified Date in Windows File Explorer, the Year field shows the year 2036 on some files but not all. The Creation Date matches the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wguimb, Nov 15, 2016.

1. wguimb Win User

Date Last Modified year field is set to the year 2036 on some files

Looking at the Last Modified Date in Windows File Explorer, the Year field shows the year 2036 on some files but not all. The Creation Date matches the Last Modified Date. This happens to folders and individual files.

I first noticed this when I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Does anybody have an idea what is causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached: a snipped image of Windows File Explorer showing the problem

:)

wguimb, Nov 15, 2016

2. How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

Thank you for your answer. The drop down list does not give me the option of a specific date modified. I can request files modified the last week, month, etc. I want to find file modified from a certain date which is more than one year. I can get a
    list of all files modified during the last year, but I need also some files modified more that a year ago.

Can you help?

JayLevinson, Nov 15, 2016
  3. How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

JayLevinson, Nov 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 15, 2016
  5. wguimb Win User
    Thanks Brink. LOL I am back from the future. I tried all those steps and they have current date and time. I have another computer running the same Windows 10 version and it does not have the date problem. What I have discovered is the files and folders with the 2036 year date field are all on a network attached storage device (Seagate Personal Cloud 3 TB). I assume it is a firmware problem with that device. I guess I will see about updating the firmware on the Seagate storage device.

Do you or anyone else know of a program that will find each folder and file with year 2036 and change it to 2016 en mass?

wguimb, Nov 15, 2016
  6. I recall that in the run up to the year 2000 (y2k) date software fixes, I saw something about that some of the software patches would result in another patch required in the 2030s. Maybe this has something to do with it.

lagunasrfr, Nov 15, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    You can do it quite easily with Powershell. This script will update all 2036 and later dates to today (and current time). You would need to update the $path variable to where the files are you want to change then just copy paste the whole lot into a powershell window (elevated if you need the authority) Code: $path="D:\Whatever Directory" $today = (Get-Date) $future = (Get-Date 2036-01-01) Get-ChildItem $path -r | ForEach-Object { if ((Get-Date $_.LastWriteTime) -ge $future) { $_.CreationTime = $today $_.LastAccessTime = $today $_.LastWriteTime = $today } }[/quote]

2038 is 2^32 seconds after 1970 so the wrong year in this case *Smile
    Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia

8. wguimb Win User

2038 is 2^32 seconds after 1970 so the wrong year in this case *Smile
    Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia[/quote] I tried the script (elevated) and it did not work. Didn't get any error messages but it did not change the date of the file or folders. I went into the Personalcloud NAS device manager where I saw it had a hard coded date of 10-15-2036. I changed to the current date and time. So now new files or folders will have the correct dates. But I still have the problem of thousands of folders and files with Last Updated and Create date set to the year 2036. Anybody have any other ideas how I can mass change them?

wguimb, Nov 19, 2016
  9. Set File Date 2.0 is a free utility program that will change created, modified and last accessed date to whatever you want. Will change single file or select a range of files. It is an old program but has worked well for me in the past. Here is where you get it: http://www.no-nonsense-software.com/ Let us know if this fixed your problem.

lagunasrfr, Nov 19, 2016
  10. wguimb Win User
    Set File Date just arbitrarily sets the date to the current date and time. I found another free program that lets me us masking and dates above 2036 to 2016 as criteria. It's called Attribute Changer and can be downloaded at Download | Attribute Changer

wguimb, Nov 21, 2016
  11. You can change date and time to whatever you want in Set File Date. Look at previrw in Web Site or do a quick download and try it.

lagunasrfr, Nov 21, 2016
  12. zaldhie Win User
Thema:

1. Date Last Modified year field is set to the year 2036 on some files - Similar Threads - Date Last Modified

2. System files "Date modified" set in future

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  3. System files "Date modified" set in future

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  4. Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?: Hello I would like to search for all my photos taken on a specific day, regardless of year e.g. return all photos taken on the 25 December of any year. I am trying to do this with the datetaken property but I can't figure out the wildcard for the year. I have tried:...
  5. Question about folder last-modified date

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about folder last-modified date: I have a folder structure like the following: Documents -> Client Name -> Project Name I keep my documents folder sorted by Last Modified date. Ideally, any time I modified a file in one of the Project folders, it would not only change the date on the Project folder (which...
  6. Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE: Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or How can I change it so that it will use data 143228
  7. Finding a photo by last modified date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding a photo by last modified date: How do I find a photo by create date/last modified date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-a-photo-by-last-modified-date/5f89975a-7e0a-4094-ae0e-b80c57b0c0d5"
  8. loss of last year's emails ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    loss of last year's emails ?: hi , hope you can help . I no longer have any emails from 2018 in my outlook inbox . folders for 2017 OK & current 2019 emails OK but no sign of any from 2018. where are they & more importantly , how do I get them back to put into folders ? .. I have not deleted them ....
  9. ! Unable to set birth year !

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ! Unable to set birth year !: Hello, I am encountering an issue with changing the birth year. I select 58, but it keeps setting itself to 2258 instead of 1958. I have attached a picture as well below. Has anyone encountered this issue before ? Please help. [ATTACH]...
  10. Copy files in the "Last Date Modified" sequence

Copy files in the "Last Date Modified" sequence: So I want to copy files from my PC to Android phone in the "Last Date Modified" sequence. That is, the file in that folder was modified the first should get copied first. Then the file that was modified second, should get copied second. Is there any way to do this?...