Windows 10: Date Modified updates when icons in a toolbar are used

Discus and support Date Modified updates when icons in a toolbar are used in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Has anyone else noticed that when you click a link in a toolbar that it updates the Date Modified field. While not important in itself, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dusty, Aug 8, 2015.

1. dusty Win User

Date Modified updates when icons in a toolbar are used

Has anyone else noticed that when you click a link in a toolbar that it updates the Date Modified field.
    While not important in itself, the side-effect is it makes the toolbar link get included with the next backup run.

I've had these personalised toolbars sitting in the taskbar since Windows 7 without this happening before.

Any ideas how this can be stopped?

Thanks.

:)

dusty, Aug 8, 2015

2. Modification date of link files (lnk) is updated when clicked, and if they are in a toolbar

Unnecessary Date Modified update from Toolbar link usage. - Microsoft Community

Unnecessary Date Modified update from Toolbar link usage.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Mr Pi Win User
    Unnecessary Date Modified update from Toolbar link usage.

The same happens with me.

I have 3 customised toolbars on the taskbar.

Whenever I click on one of those icons in a customised toolbar, it updates the icons Date Modified field.

This then causes the backup process to include it with the next backup run.

This only started happening since the Windows 10 upgrade.

Those 3 toolbars have been in my taskbar since Windows 7.

Mr Pi, Aug 8, 2015
  4. dusty Win User

So if no-one has any ideas, can someone at least confirm the problem is across all Win10 PC's?

Right click on the Taskbar, go to Toolbars, New Toolbar, make one, drag one of your programs into it to make an icon.
    Now whenever that icon is used, it's Date Modified timestamp gets updated.

Just want to make sure it's not a PICNIC problem (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).*Smile

dusty, Aug 12, 2015
  5. jeannek Win User
    I can't figure out how to get the icons on the task bar back to the Desktop. I followed the instructions using a BAT file but it didn't work. I hate using the taskbar for that.

jeannek, Aug 12, 2015
  6. dusty Win User
    right click them in the taskbar and unpin to remove them.
    then click start, in the Cortana search field, type your program of choice, right click it in the results list, Send To, Desktop

dusty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Date Modified updates when icons in a toolbar are used - Similar Threads - Date Modified updates

2. Tags / Date Modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tags / Date Modified: Changing a tag on a jpg photo causes the dated-modified to be changed. If you tag many photos and trust the exif date-taken within the photo files, use a file renaming app or exif app to change the date-modified to match the exif date-taken on all photos you tagged. This only...
  3. hiberfil.sys modified date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hiberfil.sys modified date: Upon reviewing files I see that hiberfil.sys shows a modified date of 11/08/22 3:01:30 am. It is currently 11/07/22 at 9:20 pm. How is this file showing a modified date that doesn't exist yet?...
  4. Why is "Date Created" updating when I modify the file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is "Date Created" updating when I modify the file?: I use FL Studio to make beats. Awhile back I had a hard drive error and ended up losing hundreds of projects I was working on, silly me, forgot to make backups. Whenever I open a song, whether it was from years ago or just last week, the "Date Created" property on the file...
  5. Why is "Date Created" updating when I modify the file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is "Date Created" updating when I modify the file?: I use FL Studio to make beats. Awhile back I had a hard drive error and ended up losing hundreds of projects I was working on, silly me, forgot to make backups. Whenever I open a song, whether it was from years ago or just last week, the "Date Created" property on the file...
  6. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  7. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  8. Dates modified

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dates modified: I did a factory reset on my laptop, and chose the delete everything, but I still have some files saying they were modified before the factory reset? submitted by /u/Hi_im_joker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lugnqk/dates_modified/
  9. date modified

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    date modified: when Im looking for files it no longer lets me do date modified https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-modified/35718835-05a2-4282-8ba9-ed627239b036
  10. Replace 'Date' with 'Date Modified'

in Windows 10 Support
    Replace 'Date' with 'Date Modified': I've been reasonably successful in replacing the default Date column with Date Modified in folders. But how do I do the same for Open, and 'Save as' browse dialogs please? Terry, East Grinstead, UK 106823