Windows 10: DBAN instructions

Discus and support DBAN instructions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I wanna re-install Windows 10 using DBAN ie start over from scratch. Need a step-by-step guide, thank you. 57145 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CandleJakk, Jul 22, 2016.

1. DBAN instructions

So I wanna re-install Windows 10 using DBAN ie start over from scratch. Need a step-by-step guide, thank you.

:)

CandleJakk, Jul 22, 2016

2. preparing automatic repair, blank screen

The way I fixed this problem is that i used a bootable usb stick with "DBAN". DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) is like an OS with which you can erase your hard drives. I used DBAN to erase my hard drive
    clean and then used a bootable Windows 10 usb stick to reinstall Windows. This will erase everything on your computer...but it works. I had no choice, I have tried everything to recover my Windows but with no success before this. Hope this helps.

I have done this on a Lenovo Ideapad 100 15IBD

EmanuelMuresan, Jul 22, 2016
  3. Wiping Hard disk securely

Thank you for that. I’ve actually used an ISO image of DBAN which seems to have done the job.

OscarBonnie, Jul 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

DBAN instructions

You do not need to use dban unless you intend to pass device to anybody else. See tutorials section for step by setp guides to clean install windows 10.

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  5. I know. It's just that I wanna start over fresh, and I hear DBAN is the best bet.

CandleJakk, Jul 22, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Your best bet is to select "custom install" during W10 setup, and delete all partitions so that you have an unallocated drive on which to install W10.

DBAN instructions [​IMG]

simrick, Jul 22, 2016
  7. All you ever wanted to know about starting fresh can be found in this tutorial *Wink

Clean Install Windows 10

simrick's advice re: unallocated space is also in the tutorial.

Slartybart, Jul 22, 2016
  8. DBAN instructions

I know, but I wanna use DBAN. Do you know the procedure?

CandleJakk, Jul 23, 2016
  9. CandleJakk, Jul 24, 2016
  10. Also, what's the difference between DBAN and this

CandleJakk, Jul 24, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    When you deleted files, the files are not actually erased, but the storage indices that point to them are deleted, so the space used can be overwritten by new data. As a rule, this is fine.

However, when you sell a pc or pass it on, it is possible to resurrect the deleted data if it has not yet been overwritten.

Tools like DBAN forcibly overwrite the data with ones and zeros to make it impossible to recover the old data. If pc had sensitive data on it, this is a good idea.

If pc is just for you use, it is a waste for time really.

cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  12. DBAN instructions

Why would you buy Win10 when it's still offered as a free upgrade?
    Burn the disc and upgrade for free!

I and other members have stated that DBAN is not necessary. I provided instructions on DBAN and a video. The difference between the choices are

Remove my files: you don't need DBAN if you slect this

Remove files and clean the drive: This is a very long process where the files are remove and the bits are written one-by-one with some secure overwrite method.
    That will probably be your next qestion if DBAN gives you choices:
    Simple overwrite: all 1s or all 0s
    DOD secure wipe: This is ridiculous to select if you are just installing an OS - but you seem bent on using DBAN, so you might think this is better - it's NOT ... it's just very long and completely unnecessary. If you have DOD top secret information on your machine and you were going to sell it, then maybe, but it would be easier to buy and install a new drive to replace the top secret data than to wipe it with DBAN.

All you ever wanted to know about starting fresh can be found in this tutorial *Wink

Clean Install Windows 10

I'm going to bow out - good luck.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

DBAN instructions

1. DBAN instructions - Similar Threads - DBAN instructions

2. Shall I use DBAN to wipe computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shall I use DBAN to wipe computer?: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely?[Original Title: DBAN] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shall-i-use-dban-to-wipe-computer/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  3. Shall I use DBAN to wipe computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shall I use DBAN to wipe computer?: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely?[Original Title: DBAN] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shall-i-use-dban-to-wipe-computer/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  4. Shall I use DBAN to wipe computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. DBAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  6. DBAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  7. DBAN

8. DBAN

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    DBAN: After I use Dban on my PC deleting everything, can I get windows back again on my computer with a USB stick that has Windows downloaded on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/621265ef-112b-49f0-8d85-77f34e12b9e5
  9. Weird Virus that stayed on my pc even after formatting and using DBAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird Virus that stayed on my pc even after formatting and using DBAN: So i have this weird problem probably a virus, that survived a restore and a hdd DBAN and even installing windows from another clean pc, basically the virus changes my ip adress to an adress from czech and when i looked for it its blacklisted from many websites and i noticed...
  10. DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?: My mother has an old laptop which is very slow running Win10 with Bitlocker encryption. I set it up for her in the past. She wants to get rid of it. If the drive is encrypted, do I still need to wipe the data using DBAN? The hard drive is an IDE drive, not SSD. 156381