Windows 10: Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a new PC with a Windows 10 Home OEM license. My old PC died, but it had a transferrable Windows 10 Pro license whose product key I had printed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DSwirsky, Aug 14, 2018.

1. DSwirsky Win User

Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home

I bought a new PC with a Windows 10 Home OEM license. My old PC died, but it had a transferrable Windows 10 Pro license whose product key I had printed out before it died. Both Windows copies are linked to my Microsoft account.

I would like to upgrade my new PC to Windows 10 Pro using the product key from my other PC, but since my other PC is dead, I can't do a proper deactivation on it. When I go to "Change Product Key" on my new PC and enter my old PC's product key, the next screen I get asks me to start the upgrade. Does this mean that it will perform the upgrade even though I didn't deactivate the Pro license on my old HDD? Or will it do the upgrade but then tell me that my Windows requires activation? If it's the latter, will I be able to revert back to my Home license?

Thank you.

:)

DSwirsky, Aug 14, 2018
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Aug 14, 2018
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Rob4642 Win User

Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home

Need help with transferring Windows 10 to new PC

*Nevermind I figured it out. I just bought a license key for $29.00. Thx though.
    So my friend asked me to build him a new computer for work. The last one I built him was during the windows 7-10 upgrade grace period. I used to load windows 7, use windows loader to put in a product key, activate it, then upgrade to windows 10. Now that the grace period is over, and I'm working with new hardware, I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 10 from an already functioning computer that operated on a sata SSD to a new computer with an m.2 nvme SSD, using just the product key from the current windows 10 off of his computer. I use a program that grabs the product key called ProduKey.
    Should I do a fresh install of windows 10 using his key after deactivating it from his current PC , instead of cloning drives correct? It would be nice not to have to pay microsoft $200 for windows 10 if he already has it and plans on not using his old pc anymore.

Rob4642, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Deactivate Pro HDD

2. Can a Windows 10 Pro license key be used to upgrade Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a Windows 10 Pro license key be used to upgrade Windows 11 Home: I plan to buy a new Microsoft Surface Pro 9 that comes with Windows 11 Home. I need the capabilities of Windows Pro. I can buy a Windows 10 Pro license key on Ebay for a fraction of the MicrosoftStore price for a Windows 11 Pro upgrade. Alternatively, am I entitled to a free...
  3. Can a Windows 10 Pro license key be used to upgrade Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a Windows 10 Pro license key be used to upgrade Windows 11 Home: I plan to buy a new Microsoft Surface Pro 9 that comes with Windows 11 Home. I need the capabilities of Windows Pro. I can buy a Windows 10 Pro license key on Ebay for a fraction of the MicrosoftStore price for a Windows 11 Pro upgrade. Alternatively, am I entitled to a free...
  4. license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro: hi i would like to upgrade from window 10 home to window 10 pro. then buy license part number FQC-08929 but can't upgrade as microsoft said it is OEM license. then supplier suggest another license part number FQC-09131. 1. FQC-09131 is this license valid for upgrade...
  5. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 home using a digital license

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 home using a digital license: Hi, I need to upgrade my version of Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro so that I can access the remote desktop connection feature. My edition is Windows 10 Home and my activation says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. But it looks...
  6. Upgrading from Home to pro using digital license key

Upgrading from Home to pro using digital license key: I had a win 10 pro digital license key in my old laptop. I associated with it my online MS account. Now i bought a new laptop with win 10 Home pre-installed and after signing in with my online MS account, it shows that win10 home digital license key is linked to my MS...
  7. Unable to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with purchased license key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with purchased license key: Hello, I purchased a windows 10 pro license key and attempted to use it to upgrade windows home to pro with no success and got an error saying my product key didn't work 0x800f0805. I then tried to use the generic update key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T both while...
  8. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...
  9. Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key)

Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key): I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Home, which came installed on my HP Omen 15 But, return this error: The last product key (ID: xxxx) you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows (0x803FA067) Does this mean that the key that I previously bought and used on another...
  10. Windows 10 Pro deactivated and reverted to Home license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro deactivated and reverted to Home license: I have been using Windows 10 Pro since release, upgraded from a Windows 8.1 Pro retail license (I believe I still have the original packaging somewhere). Today an "Activate Windows" notice popped up on my screen, and the activation troubleshooter informs me that I have a...