Windows 10: Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it

Discus and support Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was able to successfully recover my photos following @ and @spunk advice... Definitely has peaked my interest in learning and understanding computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bree, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it

*Thumbs

Stick around TenForums then, there's a lot you can learn here. The Tutorials are an invaluable resource for a start....

Windows 10 Tutorials

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Dozarrr Win User

Good evening, hopefully you guys can help me out here. I had an Asus laptop (Windows 10) which recently my daughter (who is 3) decided to destroy. It was a cheap laptop so I wasn't to upset that she broke it. Before throwing it away I did remove the old hard drive. I didn't have much useful stuff on there but I did have 3 years of family photos which I would really like to recover. How do I go about doing this? I purchased a hard drive disk enclosure and plugged it into my desktop computer (windows 8). I am able to see the OS (I:and Data(J: however the data folder says 258gb free of 258gb. This doesn't make sense to me as I know there must've been some data saved. Are all my photos gone?

:)

Dozarrr, Apr 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Laptop Reset Stuck at 64% and keeps on restarting.

You know what. I read a lot of stuff and some good advice. Tried everything. And after all that. My drive was pretty much dead. Recovered my data and replaced the drive in my laptop.

dommer4444, Apr 16, 2018
  4. Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it

wp7 sdcard not unlocking

i have remove my 16 Sd card form window phone 7.5 .to recover my data. my phone is dead total .. but this sd card is not working .. how can i open this card ... i want my camera rolling picture...

plz help....

AbdulSamadkhan, Apr 16, 2018
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    You should be able to open it up just like any other drive and drag and drop or copy and paste. Are you seeing any folders and files at all? Have you searched the drive for *.jpg or *.png two typical picture formats the *. is just a wild card that asks for any files with the extension jpg or png you may be able to find where they were stored. If you know where they were stored and they are no longer there you will probably need to use some sort of recovery software. Someone else will have to comment on that I have no experience with data recovery.

Clintlgm, Apr 16, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    welcome to TenForums @Dozarrr

The may not have necessarily been saved to the Data drive, have a look in the OS drive under the Users folder. There should be a folder called I:\Users\your_old_username\Pictures that may have you photos in it. That would be where they were saved by default.

7. zbook New Member
    Download and install Everything:
    voidtools
    It will index everything on all drives.
    As you type a character there will be instantaneous results displayed.
    The more characters typed the narrower the search results.
    Look for titles that you remember and use the *.jpg etc. endings.
    There are forensic companies that can recover files even when deleted or overwritten.
    The free methods are to search for the individual files or move the users folder.

zbook, Apr 16, 2018
  8. swarfega Win User

Perhaps you could buy a usb hard drive docking station, unplug the drive and copy tge files to another computer.

swarfega, Apr 16, 2018
  9. spunk Win User
    @swarfega that is exactly what the OP has done.
    Anyways, as stated, you should find your pictures under the l:\Users\[username]\Pictures folder of the now external drive.

spunk, Apr 16, 2018
  10. Barman58 Win User
    First thing to do is Go to the root of each drive tree right Click choose properties then Security Tab - Advanced aAnd change the owner of the folder (and choose the option to do the same to all child folders.

This should make the actual user files visible to you, the issue is that the way that the NTFS file system works will treat two users as different even if the user name is the same (the system creates a unique System Identifier SID for each user and compares these for access permissions. )

As an alternative you could use this .... Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials I would always suggest that you only use this on a Live system drive when you fully understand the workings of file permissions but in a case like yours it can speed up access to the OLD drive tremendously.

Barman58, Apr 16, 2018
  11. Dozarrr Win User
    I was able to successfully recover my photos following @Bree and @spunk advice. For whatever reason when I first clicked into the OS folder I could not see any user profiles but then I turned on the show hidden files option and was able to find my user folder and all the documents inside. Not sure how or why that happened but hey got my photos and now have a nice 500gb hard drive to throw into a gaming build. Much appreciated for all the help everyone! Definitely has peaked my interest in learning and understanding computers a lot more

Dozarrr, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it - Similar Threads - Dead laptop recover

2. Recover data account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover data account: I changed my user name and now all my data is gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-data-account/7f2a003b-c2c8-4752-96b1-e8e0d71e4a8b
  3. Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead Laptop: So I'm trying to fix my mother's laptop that just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Whenever she tried to turn it on it just sat at the preparing automatic repair screen and didn't do anything. So I was going to reinstall windows, but my question is, do I need to install the...
  4. Recover data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recover data: Can i still recover my data after I diskpart cleaned it in cmd and added a new simple value to it. submitted by /u/CommunicationCute977 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ls65bh/recover_data/
  5. Recovering data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering data: Hi I recently made a a clean win 10 install with a usb and i lost all my files is there a way to get them back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovering-data/03a6227a-8499-4c0e-9797-53e4f5ce36e8
  6. WANT TO KNOW RECOVER MY DATA

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WANT TO KNOW RECOVER MY DATA: HELLO SIR, I FORGOT MY BIT LOCKER PASSWORD. IN THIS DRIVE I HAVE SOME IMPORTANT DOCUMENT THATS WHY I WANTS TO UNLUCK IT.PLZ GIVE SOME SUGGESTION?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-know-recover-my-data/a8865ff1-5306-4d32-9e41-641cb1b512fd
  7. Recover Data from Laptop HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recover Data from Laptop HDD: Hello I have a Lenovo Laptop , with an internal HDD drive of 1 TB . Now i have a problem with it , it's no longer working , when i enter the BIOS setup to check , it shows me HDD ," not detected " , and sometimes yes " Detected " and i can see the name of my HDD. I...
  8. Moving data from dead laptop to PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving data from dead laptop to PC: Recently, I found my old, broken laptop, and I removed the hard disk drive from it. That laptop ran Windows 7, and I was wondering if I could put it in my pc, which runs Windows 10 Home, to transfer the files (pictures, documents, etc). Info Old one is Toshiba 320 gigabyte...
  9. dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dead laptop: my laptop died ( a dell Inspiron 11) and i want to put it on my old computer. will the windows 10 licence carry over? or do i have to buy a new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-laptop/f2d47516-a2b7-4aa7-838e-bf1f8e4a4533"
  10. How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins?: My HDD died the other day, so I bought a new one and a SATA to USB3.0 connector to transfer my files. The dead drive doesn't register when I plug it in via USB with the connector, and plugging it in via SATA to my motherboard takes a while to register, but then lags my system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover data from dead hdd