Windows 10: Dead! Search the Web and Windows

Discus and support Dead! Search the Web and Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Something seems to have changed, so that I am no longer able to type anything in to the search space. How may Have caused that to happen? And, please,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Apr 4, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

Dead! Search the Web and Windows

Something seems to have changed, so that I am no longer able to type anything in to the search space. How may Have caused that to happen? And, please, how do I rectify?

:)

chipwood, Apr 4, 2016

2. Start, search bar and right-click on IE11 all not working

Same problem with start menu, dead. Also search the web and windows bar is dead. Right click on Internet Explorer 11 is dead. Real slow start up. I thank everyone for the suggestions although they didn`t work. Bottom line is, no when to call it quits. Going
    back in life seems to be the norm.

Original title: win/10

ScottFossett, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Brian61 Win User
    "Search the web and Windows" does not search for what I entered

I searched for 'thunderbolt 3' and this feature decided to search for 'thunderbolt interface'. Why did that happen? That;'s a very basic search and it got what I wanted to search for 50% wrong.

Brian61, Apr 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could you clarify, perhaps with a screenshot to be sure, which search space?

Possibilities:
    A browser search field
    Explorer search
    Settings search
    Cortana search

Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Reading from your title, I have a feeling your Cortana is NOT enabled.

Before Cortana is enabled, the search bar will say " Search the web and Windows "

Dead! Search the Web and Windows [​IMG]

After Cortana is enabled, the search bar will say " Ask me anything "

Dead! Search the Web and Windows [​IMG]

As far as I can remember, if Cortana is not enabled, the search bar will not function.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2016
  6. chipwood Win User
    @Both It is the grey version, yet I could enter something there for about a week after entering trial period. May it be relevant that I use Chrome 64 bit as browser, and had to reinstall it a few days ago?

chipwood, Apr 4, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    What "trial period "?
    You are running Enterprise evaluation version ?

I know nothing about Enterprise version.
    I apologize and allow me to bow out.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

Try it : *Arrow Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums

Everything is identical for windows 10.

A single go may not work. Try it thrice. Rebuild > Restart > Rebuild > Restart > Rebuild > Restart
    Hopefully the seh function will be back at its place.

9. chipwood Win User
    I mean the month in which one can revert to 7 or 8.

chipwood, Apr 4, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Oh. Sorry.
    I misunderstood.
    Is your Cortana enabled ?

davidhk, Apr 4, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    If you press the Windows key and S, a Cortana window should open. Could you post a screenshot- and how many icons do you see down the left side?

Is any helpful message displayed?

If you open Settings, Privacy, General, do you see any message in red?

Click the Action Centre icon in the system tray - is the Location tile 'lit' (on)?

Have you made any changes to Language settings?

Do you have any system restore points you could use, or other backups (system image or disk image)?

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    @chipwood:
    Have you run any kind of 'Anti-Telemetry' applications?
    (There are many floating around the web, usually of the 'sketchy' kind)

Edwin, Apr 4, 2016
  13. chipwood Win User

This post is an attempt at a concise composite reply to the questions and suggestions made by everyone on my problem. I hope it is enough to be of use, and await further advice ofbest way forward.
    I have run indexing three times and the search box is still grey and inactive. The Windows icon to the left is white, but shows blue momentarily with a mini-brief flash of, I think, the hour glass. Cortana I switched to “on” last evening but the search box did not change attributes. This morning I checked find settings and Cortana is on. Windows-S has no effect.
    Action Centre Icon shows “no new notifications”, and, in case it is of use, right clicking to open does nothing. The series of boxes on the desktop is missing too.
    Anti-telemetry applications, I have no idea what they are, so I cannot say.
    There is no message in red in privacy.
    I do have several Sys Res points available, and the disc on to which I burnt the ISO Windows 10 image.
    Language before all this happened I noticed it had been rest from UK to US and altered it back.

chipwood, Apr 5, 2016
  14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    So it is not the seh function only but some other elements of the taskbar are not performing their job.

Do you mean desktop icons by "The series of boxes on the desktop"?

If so, I would say that something has messed up the system/registry. It might be an aggressive disk cleanup tool, it might be a virus, it might be an improper windows update/upgrade.

Whatever, IMHO a clean reinstall will be the easiest way to resolve it.

15. chipwood Win User
    I'll have to read link very carefully. As my computer has quite dated BIOS would it be better to use that or UEFI (presuming I can and can set it up)? Because of time I can't do it today, anways.

chipwood, Apr 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Dead! Search the Web and Windows - Similar Threads - Dead Search Web

2. Windows search is brain dead

in Cortana
    Windows search is brain dead: Why Search results are sometimes missing? Why there are no any notice that there are issue with search results? See this example [ATTACH] And after restarting "Windows Search" service it goes like this [ATTACH] But it works only for one time and then it is again is...
  3. Web Search in Windows search not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Web Search in Windows search not working: Is anyone having an issue with windows search? Normally when i want to web search something, I type it into windows search and web search it, but for some reason that isn't working for me anymore. Its like Web search in Windows search is just gone now....
  4. no search the web?

in Cortana
    no search the web?: cortana sometimes searches the web when you don't want her to, while apple's siri can let you say "search the web for <subject>" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-search-the-web/efb003a7-5a55-4bda-8968-1e8518fb1b05"
  5. Search is searching the web again

in Windows 10 Support
    Search is searching the web again: I have just noticed that Search on my PC is suddenly searching the web. It didn't used to.I had that disabled. I don't use Cortana, so that is disabled. However, it seems that Microsoft in their incredible persistence to get hold of all my data, has enabled web search again....
  6. Customize Search the Web and Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Search the Web and Windows: Can "Search the web and Windows" be set to search only Windows locally? I've read that this can be done via a policy editor, but I work in Windows 10 Home, and that option isn't directly available. Thanks. 22807
  7. Search the web and windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Search the web and windows: Since yesterday i had popular news(bing) when i enter search but now that is gone and when i enter search it looks like this: [img] Any idea how to get back news on that search screen? P.S i didn't disable any related settings... 41684
  8. Search the web and Windows bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Search the web and Windows bar: Hello, Windows 10 just did an update and now there is this little search bar in the corner, and I don't want there as it uses Internet Explorer and will never use it. How do I get rid, I've right clicked and unticked all the ticked things but it won't go away. Also was...
  9. SEARCH THE WEB AND WINDOWS Is Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    SEARCH THE WEB AND WINDOWS Is Not Working: I am unable to use the SEARCH THE WEB AND WINDOWS function in Windows 10. When I click on its icon on the task bar, the hour glass circle flashes momentarily and immediately goes off. What needs to be enabled in MS CONFIG for this function to work? I have enabled every item...
  10. Problem with Search the Web and Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Search the Web and Windows: Hi everyone, when i click on the search the web and windows it says we cannot connect to the web search right now but you can still search for stuff, make sure you're currently connected to the internet. This confuses me as i am connected to the internet and where this...