Windows 10: debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

Discus and support debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am debating if I want to upgrade this laptop to a ssd from a standard hdd. the main questions are will there be much of a performance increase with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pitbullpup, Dec 2, 2015.

1. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

I am debating if I want to upgrade this laptop to a ssd from a standard hdd. the main questions are will there be much of a performance increase with a ssd instead of a standard hdd, and if I do where do I get the product key to reinstall the windows 10 pro. it was upgraded from windows 7 pro

:)

pitbullpup, Dec 2, 2015
  2. marhargen Win User

Windows 10 And Creating A Disk Image To A New SSD

I performed an in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10 running on a standard mechanical (spinning platter) HDD.

What happens if I decide to image (duplicate) the current HDD to a SSD?

Will Win10 complain about the new SSD hardware & etc ?

thanks-

marhargen, Dec 2, 2015
  3. Upgrading HDD to SSD. Should I create a bootable USB with windows 7 or 10?

Hi,

Unfortunately you need to contact your computer manufacturer (DELL) and see what they suggest. They might help you to either create
    a recovery media or send you a new one if they could.

Do feel free to post on the forum and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Dec 2, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

You will definitely see an improvement in performance - especially related to anything involving disk activity. Faster boot, faster loading of programs, etc.

There are many threads on here that talk about the upgrade process and you will see that if you have already had W10 activated on your laptop it will reactivate after a reinstall without you needing to put in a product key (you just skip that step and let W10 do it later). The change to an SSD should not affect it and even if it did you are now able to use your original W7 Pro key under the latest rules that MS have set for activation.

philc43, Dec 2, 2015
  5. MSRadell Win User
    It's probably the easiest and fastest thing you can do to improve your system performance. In comparison to your system now anything that is disk use intensive will fly. I'm quite surprised we don't see more new PCs being shipped with SSDs considering how the price had fallen so rapidly.

MSRadell, Dec 2, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    go for It,I just put a 240gig into a acer micro tower , installed win10,and the difference is wow, its boots to desktop and ready to use in 12 seconds .
    and I just got home from a computer hose call ,I did a clean install of the latest win10,on a 240 ssd drive that was an win7 updated to 10,and like philc43 said ,just skip the key request ,and win10 will activate itself .the owner was amazed at how quick the install went ,quickest 40$ I made in a while ,and I only had to walk 3 door over the road ,

caperjack, Dec 2, 2015
  7. striper Win User
    I have an SSD for all of my systems now. I'm about to install a 960TB in this laptop. It makes a huge difference. Even compared to hybrid caching. If your system has a SATA III interface, I would say that it is 100% worth every penny. Especially since the prices are so low now and that time is priceless. If you have SATA II, you won't get the full benefit.

striper, Dec 2, 2015
  8. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

You'll easily notice a difference, but you REALLY notice a difference when you go back to using a system without an SSD. Honestly, the only debate is around cost, and SSDs are a good buy right now. There's absolutely no room for debating the performance.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

1. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd - Similar Threads - debating upgrading ssd

2. Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD: I want to replace the slow HDD in my Dell refurb Latitude laptop with an SSD. Win 10 Pro product key is on sticker on bottom of computer. Do I just clone the HDD to SSD or do something else?...
  3. Upgradation of HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgradation of HDD to SSD: I want to upgrade my laptop's hardware configuration. I want to change my HDD to SSD. But If i want a fresh installation of Windows 10 to my new SSD then how I will put my Product key there as it is OEM provided....
  4. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  5. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD: Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the...
  6. upgrade hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade hdd to ssd: Good Morning/Evening, I would like to upgrade the hdd of my laptop to ssd. I need all my files and os unchange. May you folks advise me the procedure? thanks beforehand for your help. regards mark...
  7. Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD

Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD: Hi, some months ago I added a 250GB SSD and cloned the OS and data to it from my HDD. (The BIOS was reset at that time to boot from the SSD.) All went well until the receipt of the 1809 version last week. I find that the Windows 10 Upgrade Folder on the SSD contains only some...
  8. upgrade from HDD to SSd

upgrade from HDD to SSd: HI, I have a Lenovo desktop with an AMD E1 processor and a conventional 500gb hard drive. I'm thinking about upgrading this hard drive to an SSD in order to improve performance. How much more responsive would the computer be?? Is it worth it to make this switch?? Thanks...
  9. Upgrade to SSD from HDD

Upgrade to SSD from HDD: I have old Sony Vaio AIO desktop that I want to replace the HDD with 256GB SSD. Current OS is latest version of Windows 10. Computer has Legacy bios and uses Std Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 . I understand that I need to change...
  10. Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD: Evening All, I would like to upgrade this ole Samsung Laptop, with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, but I'm not sure because of the iSSD P4 8GB (used for Express Cache). I know I won't need it anymore, but is there going to be conflicts/issues ? Specs: Operating System Windows...