Windows 10: Default app for htm keeps reverting to MS Edge

Discus and support Default app for htm keeps reverting to MS Edge in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This has been getting annoying. It's been happening several times a day, not just after an update. Anybody else seeing this? Unfortunately you can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DJG, Feb 9, 2017.

1. DJG
    DJG Win User

Default app for htm keeps reverting to MS Edge

This has been getting annoying. It's been happening several times a day, not just after an update. Anybody else seeing this?

Unfortunately you can't uninstall Edge ... *Rolleyes

:)

2. Stephen_C Win User

Default associations for .HTM .HTML and .PDF keep reverting to Edge

Default associations for .HTM .HTML and .PDF keep reverting to Edge. No matter how I try to change either through File Explorer or Control Panel > Default Programs, it will always revert back to Edge. It is intolerable. Is there a known issue here? Or
    how do I go about uninstalling Edge because that doesn't seem possible either?

Stephen_C, Feb 9, 2017
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Default associations for .HTM .HTML and .PDF keep reverting to Edge

Thanks Jenith,

DISM returns the following error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

The http link refers to "Configure a Windows Repair Source" which states "Windows Update will be used by default..." which obviously it isn't.

And SFC reports the following:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some

of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For

example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not

supported in offline servicing scenarios.

And this is part of the log:

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 0000539d Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll"
    :

Found: {l:32 OQMGOYrgIooYUujnrnx7pngg/jYEmCKvWcHRKKRR0VI=} Expected: {l:32 9rnAnuwzPjMQA7sW63oNAVhckspIngsqJXKYSUeQ5Do=}

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 0000539e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
    in the store, hash mismatch

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 0000539f@2016/2/3:20:42:44.675 Primitive installers committed for repair

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a0 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :

Found: {l:32 OQMGOYrgIooYUujnrnx7pngg/jYEmCKvWcHRKKRR0VI=} Expected: {l:32 9rnAnuwzPjMQA7sW63oNAVhckspIngsqJXKYSUeQ5Do=}

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a1 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
    in the store, hash mismatch

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a2 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:125]"Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-VM-Setup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10586.0.RemoteFX clientVM and UMTS files and regkeys"

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a3 Hashes for file member \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a4 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :

2016-02-04 09:42:44, Info CSI 000053a5 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:10]"opencl.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Stephen_C, Feb 9, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 9, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    One reason that can trigger a string of 'an app default was reset' notifications is using an older program that employs methods of checking and setting defaults that have been deprecated. If the notification occurs after using one particular program then look to see if an updated version is available. For this particular OP the culprit was an old version of Infranview (for which there is an update that works properly).

Setting up Windows 10 Pro

Bree, Feb 9, 2017
  6. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Thanks Brink. Mind you I don't get a notification, I just get Edge opening them again without notice.

I just applied the reg edit only for Edge from your file. Let's see what happens *Smile.

Thanks!

7. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Well, that made it so it ALWAYS uses Edge and Open with another cannot switch it even temporarily - there's no "Always use" option.

Sigh ...

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 9, 2017
  9. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Thanks, Brink. Maybe reverting will resume normal behavior - let's see how long it lasts *Smile

10. DJG
    DJG Win User
    No such luck - again Edge claims it must open html files. This is so annoying! Anybody know of a way to disable Edge? Maybe renaming it to EdgeSucks.exe or something?

11. DJG
    DJG Win User
Thema:

1. Default app for htm keeps reverting to MS Edge - Similar Threads - Default app htm

2. Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot: Title. This started two days ago. As far as I can tell nothing changed on the machine between Tuesday and Wednesday to make that happen. Changing my default browser every boot is annoying, but at least Firefox prompts to be made default again. It's a HUGE pain with PDFs,...
  3. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  4. Search defaults to MS Edge

in Cortana
    Search defaults to MS Edge: My default browser setting is Firefox but when I choose "search the web" option in search I get a response in the Edge browser. Is there a way to reset this? Thanks in advance for a response. Fred...
  5. Why Does my Default App Revert Back to MS Default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Does my Default App Revert Back to MS Default?: I changed my .pdf default to PDFComplete, and it reverts back to IE often. My guess is it happens every time MS does an update to my Win10 Pro (v 1803 Build 17134.706). Any thoughts on how to prevent this in the future? Running on HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF 131330
  6. MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing: Hi, This morning, MS Edge defaults to Bing as the search engine even though the default setting is set to Google. I can't get it to default to Google, even though I am able to manually select Google as the search engine. How can I check if this is a problem with MS Edge or...
  7. Soundcard drivers keep reverting to default

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Soundcard drivers keep reverting to default: I use a Soundblaster Audigy soundcard for streaming to my own online radio station but since upgrading to windows 10 Pro from version 7 I have to keep re-installing the sound drivers for my SAM Broadcaster to pick up the microphone correctly every single time after I...
  8. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App: One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I wanted it to be the default program. I didn't realize it had changed. So when I said yes, I got an error that said Acrobat...
  9. Windows keeps reverting my default apps to Windows default

Windows keeps reverting my default apps to Windows default: Hi! After latest update, Windows keeps reverting my apps to default. For example, my default music app/program is Winamp, and after a while I'll just find that it is Groove music again. It is not a huge problem, but you see how it can be irritating. Also, Windows 10 won't...
  10. Indexing Options keeps reverting to default

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Options keeps reverting to default: Hi all, I have been trying to set my Windows 10 Home 64-bit computer to index only the Start Menu but not anything else (such as IE Favourites, Documents). I know exactly where all my documents are; the only time I use search is something like, I press the Win key, and...