Windows 10: Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013

Discus and support Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I have Office 2016 but have to use Outlook 2013 due to Exchange limitations for my corporate email account All works well except when choosing... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by robgr, Jun 4, 2017.

1. robgr Win User

Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013

Hi,
    I have Office 2016 but have to use Outlook 2013 due to Exchange limitations for my corporate email account
    All works well except when choosing default applications the list only has Outlook 2016
    This is a problem as I want to configure the MAILTO (URL:MailTo) protocol to Outlook 2013 (the version I use)
    I can't have both versions running together so how can I edit the list/select Outlook 2013 when choosing the default apps for email/MAILTO?

:)

robgr, Jun 4, 2017
  2. TheRDLOON Win User

Outlook 2007 and Windows 10 Edge browser

Outlook 2013 or any mail application not appearing in Share within Edge Windows 10. Outlook 2013 is set as default for email. There are a number of people having this issue. Any solution yet?

TheRDLOON, Jun 4, 2017
  3. RamsesBel Win User
    Default email app in Windows 10 has a major glitch!

I would be happy to use Outlook 2013 as my default email app but the problem is ALL of my Outlook 2013 emails disappeared when I selected it as the default app. This only happened after changing to Windows 10. Do you have any idea how I can get them back?

RamsesBel, Jun 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, here's one way, assuming you can select the appropriate program, which would have to have registered itself as being capable of handling that protocol as there's no browse option:

Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013 [​IMG]

If not listed, you might try

(Similar features are supported via Settings)

Failing that:

dalchina, Jun 5, 2017
  5. robgr Win User
    hi dalchina. Thanks for your reply but still no luck. :-(
    Oddly the registry option nearly works in that if I edit the key value to Office15 I can then launch a blank email when I run the string via command line (CMD).
    However, no luck when clicking a mailto: link in say an email. It thinks about but then nothing.

robgr, Jun 5, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You would have to get the form of the parameters correct for your application, of course. You would need to research that.

Does the appropriate version of Outlook not appear in the dropdown list?

dalchina, Jun 5, 2017
  7. robgr Win User
    My default is Outlook 2016 so I just edited the parameters for Outlook 2013 as follows
    "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /mailto "%1"
    Only Outlook 2016 appears in the lists, even after changing the registry key as above.

robgr, Jun 6, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Can you post a screenshot of your registry key like my last one in #2 please?

Ideally someone with Outlook 2013 will be able to comment.

What does the /mailto switch do?
    /c ipm.note
    creates an e-mail message

- but you have -c not /c

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  9. robgr Win User

All I changed was Office16 to Office15 and as I said earlier if I run the parameters via CMD then a a blank email opens
    Sorry to be so vague

robgr, Jun 6, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    According to the syntax I've seen online, it should be /c - and I don't know what the /mailto is there for.

- did it work ok when you were using Office 16?

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  11. robgr Win User
    When I upgraded to Office 2016 I realised quickly that I couldn't even open my corporate account so I did no further testing followed by uninstalling Outlook 2016 and reinstalling Outlook 2013.
    Unfortunately the Send to throws a related error too (even though the key value is otherwise correct).

The popup appears to suggest that Send to was trying to use Outlook 2016 but the key value says different

robgr, Jun 6, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Sorry forget my comment above about Send to - Send to is .mapimail

You may have a basic problem trying to run 2 versions of Outlook - maybe it isn't possible.

Basic question: if you launch each version from a start menu shortcut, do they both work?

- you could simply uninstall the 2016 version and use only the older one.

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  13. robgr Win User

To clarify, I have previously uninstalled Outlook 2016 so I don't know why it even appears in the lists
    I'm beginning to think this is a bug with the co-residency of Office 2013 & Office 2016 applications

robgr, Jun 6, 2017
  14. robgr Win User
    Here's what I see for Office 2016

robgr, Jun 6, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    It looks like it's not completely uninstalled - maybe there's a cleanup tool?

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013 - Similar Threads - Default Applications Can't

2. Outlook 365 - Can't select From email account or set default signature

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 365 - Can't select From email account or set default signature: Greetings, Specs: Win 10 Pro x64 - Version 1909 - Build 18363.720 Office 365 / Outlook - Version 2003 - Build 12624.20176, Monthly Channel (Targeted) Everything was running fine with my O365 Business Premium and its Outlook program on my Win10 PC until this morning when I...
  3. Outlook 2013

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Outlook 2013: I bought Outlook 2013 a few years ago downloaded from Microsoft. I have a new laptop. Can I download it onto the new computer too. I am not sure how many computers are allowed. It is a program, not Outlook.com...
  4. Outlook 2013 connections...

Outlook 2013 connections...: Outlook 2013 has eight email accounts setup, none of them are from Microsoft, that works just fine. Windows 10 v.1809 has no Microsoft accounts either, local UIDs only. Starting up Outlook, it connects the these URLs first: roaming.officeapps.live.com...
  5. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: I followed some previous instructions on this topic, but no change. I didn't buy Office. Apparently, some of it came with Windows 10 or is part of my stand-alone Outlook 2013 that I purchased years ago. I was instructed to uninstall Office 15 and then reinstall....
  6. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: Dear Sumit. I don't know what caused the problem, but since about 2 hours ago, I haven't been able to open any links in my email. I get the message that "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing the action you requested". I've tried some of the...
  7. Outlook 2013 freezing

Outlook 2013 freezing: Hi I run two computers one a pc and one a laptop both running windows 10 with the latest updates so both on the same version. I also use office 2013 (32 bit)on both computes My problem is if I launch outlook 2013 (Part of the office 2013) on the pc it runs just fine but on...
  8. Default format Outlook 2013: HTML

in Browsers and Email
    Default format Outlook 2013: HTML: Hi Guys, I have a question. In my environment i want all people to use HTML format as standard in Outlook 2013. So when somebody forwards an email that is in plain text, i want him to send his mail in HTML, instead of plain text too. I installed an ADMX template for...
  9. Outlook 2013

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2013: Creating "New Email" just stopped working as it normally does. It shows in the task bar as "Untiltled - Message" but does not show in Outlook and when I click on the mini window, I only see the desktop. Very strange. Just began today. 43259
  10. Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?

Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?: Outlook 2016 insists on creating a Trash folder in my IMAP accounts and moving deleted items there. I want to use another folder for deleted items. It was possible to specify the folders to use for Sent and Deleted items in Outlook 2010 but I can't find how to do this in...