Windows 10: Default apps being reset by Windows

Discus and support Default apps being reset by Windows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Has anyone else experienced default apps in windows 10 being automatically reset? It seems to dislike VLC and Irfanview and resets defaults to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by seoras, Feb 16, 2016.

1. seoras Win User

Default apps being reset by Windows

Has anyone else experienced default apps in windows 10 being automatically reset?

It seems to dislike VLC and Irfanview and resets defaults to Microsoft apps.

:)

seoras, Feb 16, 2016
  2. MarcoArik Win User

Windows 10 auto reset to default apps to open files.

Hello, guys.

I installed some programs/apps like VideoLan VLC and IrfanView. I associate these apps to some file types, but after a few seconds, I had a pop-up with the notice that Windows had reset these file types to default apps.

It's the problem also explained
    here

MarcoArik, Feb 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Keeps Reseting Default Browser on Encrypted Partition After Reboot/Logon

Thank you for the quick response, but this didn't really resolve my issue as this is an issue with windows 10 and its resetting of the defaults behavior that is not present on windows 7 .

This is not a failing in TrueCrypts operation, it is a failing in the way windows 10 RESETS the default apps without being prompted too. The apps are reset if the volume isnt mounted yet and the application isn't accessible.

This PC is an upgraded win7 pro x64 and I had the same truecrypt volume that behaved in the same way. I had my default apps set to applications installed on those encrypted volume and windows 7 didn't reset those apps if the volume wasn't mounted yet.

Ethernet Guru, Feb 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, if you search the forum you will find a good number of threads on this topic.

The culprit identified in two cases where defaults have been reset on restart has been surprising - an old version of a program. How and why that happens is not known.
    In particular, old versions of Winzip. There was one other- a game I think.

So I have suggested running the best update checker, Sumo - free- (the lite version or 'nork' without adware) and check for significantly out of date programs.

However you may be experiencing a different effect. From Win 8, MS disallowed apps setting defaults. That is, you might see the association change until you restart if you set defaults from within a program. Only 1 or two warn about this. Thus defaults must be set using Windows Settings or Control Panel Default Programs or Open With.

Please post back if you identify your culprit. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2016
  5. seoras Win User
    I've noticed elsewhere it's due to the last update and I'm not the only one affected.

Windows 10 forced update KB 3135173 changes browser and other defaults | InfoWorld

seoras, Feb 16, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, yes. Question is, what is that update interacting with on some people's PCs so it has that effect when it doesn't affect others?

dalchina, Feb 16, 2016
  7. seoras Win User
    Can't answer that - good point. It didn't affect my browser default but it definitely doesn't likes some of the extensions - .png, .jpeg, .mkv and even .ts. My Windows 10 is 10586.104 and is not an upgrade. Another PC at home is showing exactly the same issues. The reset message implies the default apps are causing a problem and must be reset. Maybe the problem is that I'm not using their apps.

seoras, Feb 16, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Can you quote the reset message? (But I bet it doesn't say much specific).

I'd tend to suggest it depends which 3rd party/desktop programs you have as defaults. I have some so set, and no issues with change of associations.

Could you list the progs you have as defaults and their versions please?
    Why? - It might really help others if we can get some clues about which programs might give rise to these symptoms. (Which at present here is a reasonable assumption only)
    E.g.

Extension Program Version zip rar jpg avi (etc)

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  9. seoras Win User
    As I mentioned, the ones which were noticeable were .png, .jpeg, .ts and .mkv - either pertaining to Irfanview or VLC. The issue seems to have stopped for now, perhaps because I removed the TV and Movies and Groove music apps. But the Photos one remains but image defaults have not yet been reset again. There really was too many reset and I just cleared the list. I can't explain why it's stopped now. Ifit recurs, I'll post again.

seoras, Feb 17, 2016
  10. I currently have one 3rd party sw loaded on my PC, and that is Adobe Reader. Not an old version but the very latest. yet after the last update, all file associations were set back to defaults. All program defaults were also reset to the defaults. At the moment it is not a serious issue but it will be once I start re-installing sw that I routinely want to use instead of the defaults .

Geoff Daniell, Feb 17, 2016
  11. I had exact same problem with VLC, Adobe Reader and IrFanView. Is there any quick fix for it?
    Weirdly, if I go in "properties" for a single file, and set an application, seems to work fine and without the annoying pop-up message.
    I hope MS knows this bug...

Siegfriedm, Feb 17, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    - OK, that confirms there are at least two different mechanisms for some people (not all) experiencing a change of association
    1. Some people have old version desktop apps installed- unrelated to the associations that change
    2. A change of association triggered by an update.

Your (minimal) case makes it hard to imagine what might be the trigger.
    I'm wondering if there's any clue in the Event Log.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 21, 2016
  14. Spent plenty of time going through the event log to see what if anything caused the issue with .pdf files. So far I have found nothing.

Thanks for this link much appreciated.

The article also talks about another strange issue that I have noticed. The "Open with issue", which also does not list other apps, just the default ones.

In some cases the option "open with" is not even available when right clicking on a file type.

Geoff Daniell, Feb 21, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    My news item's been moved although this is likely to be recurring and important issue, so I won't bother posting there again.

See this, referring to KB3135173,
    Windows 10 Forced Update Resets Default Apps To Microsoft Products - Slashdot

Updategate: Microsoft 'aware' of problem causing app defaults to reset- The Inquirer

- from which came the suggested registry modification.
    Fix for "An App Default was Reset" Windows 10 Resetting File Associations (Registry Fixes) - The Winhelponline Blog

However, it would be better (I think) to uninstall the update, and hide it (see the Tutorial section) as in the article quoted by Seoras (above)

dalchina, Feb 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Default apps being reset by Windows - Similar Threads - Default apps being

2. An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos: Hello Sir, My name is Ronak Savla, I have windows 10 pro, I get an problem as I start my computer for some work, I see the default app is changed from windows photo viewer which I installed as an registry file and it changes to default photo app. Can you give me any...
  3. App default was reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    App default was reset: Windows is showing App default was reset again and again , even though no changes were done by me then also it is showing notification as App default was reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-default-was-reset/8235d04e-8ce2-4eaa-88d4-d5012b6c5d14
  4. An app default was reset

An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  5. Default Apps Keep Resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Apps Keep Resetting: Hi All This is driving me mental. I have the latest, updated, version of Windows 10 and am on a new i7 with 32GB RAM etc. I keep changing my default apps in Window 10 and they keep getting reset… here are some of the examples: .pdf from IE to Acrobat .html from IE to...
  6. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  7. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  8. Default being reset to Microsoft Edge

Default being reset to Microsoft Edge: Hi, I am frustrated with my default browser being changed to Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. I have tried multiple times to change it to Chrome but every time it automatically switches to Microsoft Edge. What is the easiest solution to resolve the issue once and for all? I...
  9. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69
  10. 'An app default was reset' revisted

'An app default was reset' revisted: Today, again, I got several 'An App Default Was Reset' notifications again, after I went thru great length to stop MS from doing this, up and including a rather Draconian registry patch: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/ Without turning this into a...