Windows 10: Default apps for opening files

Discus and support Default apps for opening files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LennyDonn, Jul 27, 2018.

1. LennyDonn Win User

Default apps for opening files

How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu?

I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures as. My options are Google Chrome and VideoPad Video Editor. If I choose "Look for an app in the store", I get a nil return because it searches for .webp.

I can open my photos app, but (unless I'm missing something), there's no simple "File --> Open" option which would let me open these .webp files directly in Photos, then associating the app with the extension.

I have pretty much the same problem when using the context menu when I right click --> Open with --> Choose another app. I tried the option "Look for another app on this PC", but the only .exe file that I could find in my WindowsApps folder for Photos was Microsoft.Photos.exe, and this doesn't work. It gives me error messages based on two missing .dll files.

The frustrating thing is that the Photos app comes up as default for so many other filetypes! And it works fine. Perhaps I'm doing something backwards here, so I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

tl;dr:

1) How do you choose different programs/apps to appear as default in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu?

2) Where is the Photos app .exe actually located?

:)

LennyDonn, Jul 27, 2018

2. App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 27, 2018
  3. Hitkary Win User
    App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Thank for your reply. But problem is to set default app, there is only one option "look app for this file in app store" and there is no app in app store that can open the file.

Hitkary, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Default apps for opening files

Default apps and open with files

Have you read my post? I already tried that. The file association default app wont work because .cbr is not listed in the list. And .png when I change the application to open it with adobe photoshop is not included in the list of default apps. But it works
    with .jpeg just in .png

dacoolmike, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Default apps for opening files

1. Default apps for opening files - Similar Threads - Default apps opening

2. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  3. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  4. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Removing default app for opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing default app for opening files: Ive been having this problem where i had a program keep opening because i accidently chose that program to open the file for default, although i dont want a program at all opening the file. any help is appreciated...
  6. downloaded files no longer open in their default apps

downloaded files no longer open in their default apps: When receiving downloaded files, they no longer open in their default apps if applicable, but go directly to downloads directory. eg PDF files no longer give you the option of opening in Adobe Reader....
  7. Changing default app for opening a csv file

Changing default app for opening a csv file: I cannot set excel as the default app to open csv files. I have gone through the process of trying to change the default in windows 10. The only options are notepad, wordpad or word. I have tried looking on microsoft 365 website for other apps and have failed to solve this...
  8. Warning on default app opening docx file

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Warning on default app opening docx file: I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 about 2 weeks ago now. Basically all is OK, but I do run in to quirks here and there. The latest one is that whenever I dbl-click a .docx (or a .doc) on the desktop or in filemanager, I get the warning below. It nonetheless opens the file...
  9. Default file openers??

Default file openers??: Whenever I try to download something from sim file share it tries to open it in paint, but paint can't open the file so I can't download it. Does anyone know how I can change the default file opener to internet explorer or something that can actually open it?...
  10. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0