Windows 10: default apps

Discus and support default apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; anyone else getting this popup [img] 6255 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jamos316, May 21, 2015.

1. jamos316 Win User

default apps

anyone else getting this popup

default apps [​IMG]

:)

jamos316, May 21, 2015

2. how to install xap downloaded from uc browser

My stor appa games downlod

apps games, May 21, 2015
  3. Al_949 Win User
    Default Apps

Yes, for the .pages extension i have word as my default program so from your solution how would i continue from there ?

Al_949, May 21, 2015
  4. default apps

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  5. jamos316 Win User
    jamos316, May 21, 2015
  6. What are you doing when this pops up
    From how I understand it, a win32 app is wanting to set itself as a default app, this cannot be done now, so its telling you to go to settings

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  7. jamos316 Win User
    nothing. it happened again and i wasnt using my laptop. just came back and the popup was on my screen

jamos316, May 21, 2015
  8. default apps

Not sure, unfortunately

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on this can answer you, I thought it only appeared when legacy programs tried to change the default

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  9. jamos316 Win User
    what is legacy

jamos316, May 21, 2015
  10. Its the win32 style programs (desktop programs used in win7, xp etc)

So if for example I installed mediamonkey, and it wanted to make itself the default for my music files, it cant do it anymore, I would need to go to the settings app and manually set it
    I think the original programs can be updated to make use of the new way of setting defaults, but until then you need to do it manually

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    I got it when I tried to set Firefox as my default browser; took me awhile to understand what it wanted.

Wynona, May 26, 2015
  12. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
    select Set Default Programs
    look at the Desktop applications
    is it the default?
    are all the defaults for the application selected?

default apps [​IMG]

Since the banner notification doesn't tell you the app - you'll have to cycle though the most obvious. What applications did you install recently - see if those are set as the default (if you want them to be the default application that opens the file types).

The only other thing you can do is go through each application and see what Windows has defined for it.

I don't think it's in Filetype/protocals or set program access (this is fairly small) ... but you never know.

Of course, you could go to Settings>System>Notifications and either turn off notifications or turn off banner notifications (advanced link next to the app slider)

Slartybart, May 26, 2015
  13. groze Win User

default apps

A note,
    In build 10130, they won't let you set the default program after you install a program. You have to go here system-settings-default apps to set the default apps/programs. It use to pop-up and ask you-Do you want to change the default app/program or keep using the default programs/apps? I preferred that.

groze, Jun 10, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    Yep, they're changing everything. Once you get used to it, though, it's not so bad. *Smile

Wynona, Jun 10, 2015
  15. try Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
    Set your default pgms ....
    or
    Associate a file type or protocol ...

Some of my pgms (Gimp, Textpad) don't show up in the Set your default pgms window.

I find it's a bit easier to use the context menu Open with.... to associate a filetype to those pgms - just make sure you put a check mark in the Always use this application to open files of this type box
    (wording might be differnt, but I think you'll figure it out *Wink

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

default apps

1. default apps - Similar Threads - default apps

2. [Phonelink] default windows mic not being used for apps like textnow even if it is made as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Phonelink] default windows mic not being used for apps like textnow even if it is made as...: well my issue is that phonelink does use the default windows mic for calling from my main phone app but when i use a app like textnow it uses the phone's mic.and i already tried making textnow or even google voice app the default calling app but it still only uses the phone's...
  3. [Phonelink] default windows mic not being used for apps like textnow even if it is made as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Phonelink] default windows mic not being used for apps like textnow even if it is made as...: well my issue is that phonelink does use the default windows mic for calling from my main phone app but when i use a app like textnow it uses the phone's mic.and i already tried making textnow or even google voice app the default calling app but it still only uses the phone's...
  4. after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default apps: after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default appshow can i fix this? Im using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-every-download-my-video-player-and-photo/9025ee7a-0818-4e00-a8ad-789a1ef3fdc1
  5. after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default apps

after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default apps: after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default appshow can i fix this? Im using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-every-download-my-video-player-and-photo/9025ee7a-0818-4e00-a8ad-789a1ef3fdc1
  6. after every download, my video player and photo viewer defaults are removed from default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...
  8. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...
  9. I have lost some apps including default ones and I'm struggling to get them back, what...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have lost some apps including default ones and I'm struggling to get them back, what...: Hello there! A few weeks ago, I was on my laptop trying to launch some applications, like Spotify, but no matter how many times I clicked, they would not open. I turned on and off my computer, but nothing changed. I thus tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app in...
  10. I have lost some apps including default ones and I'm struggling to get them back, what...

I have lost some apps including default ones and I'm struggling to get them back, what...: Hello there! A few weeks ago, I was on my laptop trying to launch some applications, like Spotify, but no matter how many times I clicked, they would not open. I turned on and off my computer, but nothing changed. I thus tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app in...