Windows 10: Default Communications Device not recognized

Discus and support Default Communications Device not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 64-bit version of W10. My assumption is that for communications--send/receive calls--I could use my headphones while letting music play on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by aagha, Aug 30, 2016.

1. aagha Win User

Default Communications Device not recognized

I have 64-bit version of W10.

My assumption is that for communications--send/receive calls--I could use my headphones while letting music play on my external (or laptop) speakers.

I play music through Bluetooth connected UE Boom speaker which I have set to my Default Device. When I plug in my Plantronics USB headphones, I have them set to Default Communications Device.

However, when I make a call (through Skype or Google Hangouts), the audio goes out of my UE Boom. The only way for me to get around this seems to be for me to set my Headphones as "Default Device"--which of course gets music to play through my headphones and not the external speaker.

I've gone through the driver updates for both the Plantronics and the UEBoom, but it's not clear to me if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just a driver issue.

Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated.

:)

aagha, Aug 30, 2016

2. Can I Make Default Communication Device and Default Device Same Thing

I know the default communication device plays all Skype, Teamspeak etc. sound thru it and default device just plays everything except the communication. I want to speak thru my headset and hear the game and game chat all thru the same headset can I do
    that?

Boopy_Doopy, Aug 30, 2016
  3. Can I Make Default Communication Device and Default Device Same Thing

Hello Boopy,

We understand your requirement in this regard.

Yes, if the connected headset have built-in Mic, then you can able to speak and hear through same connected headset. In case you need to make some other device as default, then go to system tray, right-click on speaker icon and then select either Playback
    devices or Recording devices for making those changes. Post which select the device which you want to make it as default and click
    Set default.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 30, 2016
  4. batlhilz Win User

set the audio via skype, not via windows audio devices. that way it stays as you wanted it to work.

as in, pick the microphone and audio playback from the skype options of one of those you prefer.

edit - should work sameway in hangouts -> Change your video call settings - Google+ Help

batlhilz, Aug 30, 2016
  5. aagha Win User
    I've given that a shot, and it doesn't have an effect. Music audio and comms audio still go through the external speaker.

aagha, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default Communications Device not recognized - Similar Threads - Default Communications Device

2. Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/the_frgtn_drgn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khugir/change_the_default_device_and_default/
  3. Sound settings - default communication device question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound settings - default communication device question: I have multiple audio devices connected to my computer - integrated sound card, HDMI monitors, a USB music recording interface, and USB gaming headset. I have monitoring speakers connected to the music interface Steinberg CI2 and use that as my default audio device, while I...
  4. Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.: I often switch between my headset and the monitor for audio, and while this is simply done for most applications by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and changing devices, this only changes the default audio device, not the default communication device. This becomes a...
  5. How to select default communications device in Windows 10 2004 update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to select default communications device in Windows 10 2004 update?: [img] I need to select the default communications device so my Ring desktop app works in Windows 10 2004. The sound app in the control panel only allows you to select how to change the volume of sound when using communications. You can no longer select the default...
  6. Set "Default communication device" at the same time as "Default device" from the task bar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Set "Default communication device" at the same time as "Default device" from the task bar: Hello! So here is my problem. On my computer i have always a headset plugged, and also speakers at the same time. I usually switch the output i want using the sound icon on my taskbar, like that : [ATTACH] The problem is that this changes my sound output "Default device",...
  7. Default Communication Device does not appear to work for recording

Default Communication Device does not appear to work for recording: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, latest Audio Device 1: laptop build-in Audio Device 2: Plantronics wireless headset, set as both default device and default communication device In Control Panel -> Sound Playback appears to be working. The volume bars for wireless headset...
  8. Audio lag on speakers unless it is set as default device AND default communication

Audio lag on speakers unless it is set as default device AND default communication: I want my headset to be the default communication but this causes sound lag when i watch things with sound through my speaker. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-lag-on-speakers-unless-it-is-set-as-default/82eec397-8d12-4635-b852-70e2dc425d32
  9. How to set an app to use Default Communication Device instead of Default Playback device

How to set an app to use Default Communication Device instead of Default Playback device: In my Windows 10 system, I have multiple audio devices. Ex: TV as HDMI monitor, USB Speakers, Headset connected to the front panel Headphone/Mic ports. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Most applications use the Default Playback device (currently set to USB Speakers as indicated by the...
  10. Default communication device on Windows 10

Default communication device on Windows 10: Hello all, The installation of my wavecyclic audio driver on Win 10 makes it the default communication device. This behavior is observed only on win 10, but not on win 8 or 7. Nothing specific is being done on our installer/driver to set it as default communication device....