Windows 10: Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type

Discus and support Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is a nuisance item but I wondered if there was a place to set these other than doing each as they come up. Example would be creating a shortcut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by questorfla, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type

This is a nuisance item but I wondered if there was a place to set these other than doing each as they come up.
    Example would be creating a shortcut for notepad. I have always made one on every system in every version of windows and never had this problem. The default starting directory is system32 so every note you make when saved tries to go there and i have to correct it. I finally noticed that this default directory was actually named in the properties of the shortcut so that fix was done.
    But i do not remember ever having to do that before? It seems that when done previously, the notepad items either went to the current location or maybe to documents but never to system32 (which is the location of the program notepad.exe).

I can understand WHY it happens, but is there a way to specify that it NOT happen like that? In the case of notepad, what would be most helpful is for it to save at the location currently in focus. If I am on desktop when I create it, I would want it on desktop. If i am in some sub-folder, i would want it there instead.

Others like paint, i would probably want the same "save to current location" as i would need the item later at the same place it was before.

In a similar vein, can i set all .png files to go to a specific folder? And same for other file types?

:)

questorfla, Apr 16, 2016

2. cant open .vbs files the way i want to any more

Good Day

Recently I have discovered a way to use the notepad to run scripts. e.g text-to-audio where you write the script save it as a .vbs extension file and I can open it type what I want and it translates through audio.

my problem is I think I might have deleted an application that can perform what I want but recently I cant do that anymore it just opens and asks me to choose a default application but none of them work for me anymore. could some one please assist me with
    this.

Examples of what I did:

Text-to-audio

make a file with notepad that I add to the startup directory and it would greet me and tell me the time as audio.

all of this information can be found on google: notepad tricks

please can someone help me

Tristan6997, Apr 16, 2016
  3. RusTNel Win User
    File associations in Windows 10 not working

Many of my file extensions are not pointing to the programs I need them to point. For example I create script files that are used by AutoCAD. The script file has an extension of .scr that I use a text editor program like Notepad to create it. When I upgraded
    to Windows 10 the .scr extension was set to open using the AutoCAD Script Editor. I tried to change the default program using a right click "Open With". However the "Open With" option was not available for this file type. I then tried: Right click on Start
    > Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. I clicked on the .scr extension, clicked "Change Program" and it would not change. The only way I could get the file association to not be "AutoCAD Script Editor"
    was to Right click on Start > Run > regedit and delete all occurrences of the key .scr. After this I was able right click on the file and use "Open" to associate the file to Notepad. This worked, however, I think I'm missing a step. The "Open with" option
    is not available when I right click the file, like it is for other files. I would like to know what step I missed to get "Open with in the right click options.

Also, many of the file extensions indicate "Unknown application" so I suspect this issue may be affecting over 350 file extensions. Does Microsoft have a fix to fix all these "Unknown application" issues?

RusTNel, Apr 16, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type

I have never seen that. Are you running as some other user than a normal user? The only reason I would see that happen is if you are somehow running as SYSTEM user.

Windows should always default the "save" to your Documents directory.

Mystere, Apr 16, 2016
  5. No. this is a normal thing and i can see how and why it happens. I just have never noticed it happen in the past with earlier versions of windows before 10. (Or maybe 8/8.1 i just never paid attention).

Another thing i noticed is that the path to the current version of MS Office is no longer added to the "Path" statement by default. This was something else that caught me by surprise as i was making some batch scripts to call Outlook and found i had to include the FULL path to the location of the .exe file.

This can easily be checked by typing Path at a command prompt of course but i don't ever remember having to add the full path to file for things like WORD EXCEL etc. But I could be wrong and just don't remember doing it.
    I have since added the path to Office to most of the systems i work with but now I wonder if it was not left off for some good reason and maybe i am going to regret doing this?.

Notepad.exe is located in windows\system32 so if you right click, create shortcut and type in notepad, that location is added for the start-in folder. Because of that, it is also the automatic Save to folder by default, Since you cannot save to system32 normally, you end up having to change the place to save each time you use it.

Easy fix, just change the start-in folder to desktop or documents etc. I was just wondering WHY it now needs to be set.
    Same on Outlook. Once i added the path to office, my shortcut calls for outlook can be reduced in length by a LOT!
    I am using Office 365 if it matters with Windows 10 Pro X64. No special Admin Privs or anything else.

questorfla, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type

1. Default Directory for Utilities like Notepad or by extension type - Similar Threads - Default Directory Utilities

2. Why I cant type special character like ``!@#$5^&*:<>?`` in notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I cant type special character like ``!@#$5^&*:<>?`` in notepad: I have already tried every method but I can not fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-type-special-character-like-5-in/d049d4b0-b1d6-475f-8f92-472c9321d9a2
  3. Why I cant type special character like ``!@#$5^&*:<>?`` in notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I cant type special character like ``!@#$5^&*:<>?`` in notepad: I have already tried every method but I can not fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-type-special-character-like-5-in/d049d4b0-b1d6-475f-8f92-472c9321d9a2
  4. Lost Extension/type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Extension/type: I lost my .jpg file extension on my computer. It does not show up in the file types. I cannot associate it with any applications/default programs because it does not show up in the list of file types. My jpg files are still there, but cannot be opened. Can I recover the .jpg...
  5. Lost Extension/type

Lost Extension/type: I lost my .jpg file extension on my computer. It does not show up in the file types. I cannot associate it with any applications/default programs because it does not show up in the list of file types. My jpg files are still there, but cannot be opened. Can I recover the .jpg...
  6. How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...: So, I Want to do this because i accidentally choose a default program for .cur files and now, the thumbnail preview isn't showing in the file explorer This is not how it looked like.Is it even possible to reset default apps for a particular file type in win 11?I mean there's...
  7. How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...

How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...: So, I Want to do this because i accidentally choose a default program for .cur files and now, the thumbnail preview isn't showing in the file explorer This is not how it looked like.Is it even possible to reset default apps for a particular file type in win 11?I mean there's...
  8. Why are not file type extensions shown as default

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are not file type extensions shown as default: Hi there This thing always irritates me beyond measure -- ever since I think Windows 98 after a Windows new install I always have to change the default in file explorer to show the file extensions of known types. Is there anybody on this forum who doesn't display the file...
  9. Change file extension for Notepad ++

Change file extension for Notepad ++: Ran multiple searches and hard to believe this hasn't been covered but ... I need to find 'Change Program' in the list of file extensions under Default Programs>"Associate a file type or protocol". Thank you. P.S. Also if the site's search can't find Notepad ++ (with or...
  10. Notepad default font

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notepad default font: How do I change Notepad default font? Every time I open Notepad, it always set to Arial even I have saved text files using other fonts. I'm running Windows 10 Home SL 1803 Build 17134.137 Thank you....