Windows 10: Default e-mail client no more chosen ?

Discus and support Default e-mail client no more chosen ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nkienitz, May 27, 2018.

1. nkienitz Win User

Default e-mail client no more chosen ?

Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops ... but can't get a proper operation on one laptop.

All three laptops have new/fresh/clean installations of Windows 10 Pro with all current updates. I did a scrub of the SSDs and a clean install rather than upgrades.

Default e-mail clients have been switched back/forth between Outlook-2016 and Thunderbird-32.8 and selecting individual files and using the right-click / send-to command works fine and the currently selected default e-mail client is utilized (be it Outlook or Thunderbird).

The APP I've used for inspection report generation for now over 15 years and has been updated and refreshed many times and there are updates many times each year. I've also down testing for the developers of this APP on many alpha and beta releases.

What I've noticed (since the 1803 Windows update) is that on one of my laptops (Dell Latittude E5430) when I have the APP generate and send a report it always brings up Outlook as the client. Even if Thunderbird is set as the default. I've also set defaults by protocol and extension ... to no avail.

During this same time I can right-click on a file and send-to and it will bring up the default I've selected as Thunderbird.

Now ... when testing this same routine on my other two laptops (Dell D830 and Dell E6420) the approprite default e-mail client is selected by the APP I've used for my reports and all other files selected as a 'send-to'.

I'm thinking I must have some switch toggled in the Windows 10 Pro installation on this laptop - Dell D5430 that I can't recall or find. Or there is something set or not set in the registry that seems to want to always route this particular APP to send-to Outlook ... no matter what the default e-mail client is.

And, as noted, this same APP works just fine on my other two laptops.

Why one new/fresh/clean installation will be different is beyond me.

I've been searching and trying to come up with a solution, but so far ... 'zip, nada, nothing' ...

BTW, this same installation on this laptop (Dell E5430) would not let the Directory Opus (file manager) add two registry entries it needed for complete operation of that APP. I had to manually add those entries to get Directory Opus fully operational.

Makes me wonder why one W-10 Pro installation would do such and the other two not have any problems?

Oh well ... always something it seems.

If anyone has any hints I'll give most anything a try.

:)

nkienitz, May 27, 2018
  2. Guest1 Win User

Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

I know how to set the default e-mail client. My question is: when I set the default client to "Mail", why isn't the registry key "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail" set to "Mail" as the default client? It shows "Microsoft Outlook" even after
    I switch the default client to "Mail."

Guest1, May 27, 2018
  3. lonranger Win User
    Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

I too have had this problem. Going into Settings/system/default apps/mail does not show my email client in the options. I too need to find out where the default email client is stored and its values.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sam

lonranger, May 27, 2018
Thema:

Default e-mail client no more chosen ?

1. Default e-mail client no more chosen ? - Similar Threads - Default mail client

2. Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with registry setting default e-mail client: In Windows 10, I was using Outlook desktop as my default e-mail client. I then changed the default app to "Thunderbird" When I look in the registry Current User Software Clients Mail it still shows "Microsoft Outlook" as the default mail app. This is affecting how our...
  3. Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with registry setting default e-mail client: In Windows 10, I was using Outlook desktop as my default e-mail client. I then changed the default app to "Thunderbird" When I look in the registry Current User Software Clients Mail it still shows "Microsoft Outlook" as the default mail app. This is affecting how our...
  4. Recommendations for e-mail client software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recommendations for e-mail client software: Hello, I am looking for an e-mail client software. I am sick of problems with the built-in windows one that I have been using for 3 years and I want to use a third party reliable one that I don't have to troubleshoot every two months. I have installed and tried eM Client for...
  5. Either there is no default mail client

in Windows 10 Customization
    Either there is no default mail client: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client....
  6. Default mail client warning

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Default mail client warning: I keep getting the warning below, although I have Outlook as the default mail client. How can I stop getting this warning. Thank you in advance for your help. [img] 153835
  7. Outlook Default Mail Client

Outlook Default Mail Client: Following earlier instructions (using windows 10) I set outlook as my default e-mail client for in both Outlook and my registry. When I use my scanner (Brother MFC-J4420DW printer) to scan to E-Mail I get the message: "Either there is no default mail client or the current...
  8. Can not set default E-Mail client to anything other than Mail

Can not set default E-Mail client to anything other than Mail: I have an e-mail client that I am trying to set as the default and can't seem to get it to change. I am not trying to use an app from the Microsoft store, this is an actual program that I have installed on the computer. I can not make it the default email client within the...
  9. Default e-mail client not chosen ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default e-mail client not chosen ?: Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops ... but can't get a proper operation on one laptop. All three laptops have new/fresh/clean installations of Windows 10 Pro...
  10. Default E-Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Default E-Mail: Installed 10 and now can't find how to make Yahoo my default e-mail 17417