Windows 10: Default Folder Setting

Discus and support Default Folder Setting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like most of my folders to open with Details for the view. Then when I want it differently I can change it. It seems like every time I open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Silvera, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Silvera Win User

Default Folder Setting

I would like most of my folders to open with Details for the view. Then when I want it differently I can change it. It seems like every time I open a new folder or one that has not yet been opened within 10 they all are large icons which provide little information.

Is there a way to set a one time default for all folders?

Also is there a way set a default for a folder tree?

:)

Silvera, Dec 13, 2015

2. Sync to contact folders in Outlook 2010

ActiveSync will sync only with the default folders. The default folder are the folders in the data store set as default on File>Account Settings>Account Settings>Data Files tab. If you want ActiveSync to look at other folders, you must change all of
    the default folders by specifying another data store as the default and then stopping and restarting Outlook.

------------------------------

If a reply helps, please vote it as helpful. If a reply solves the issue, please mark it as an answer.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Dec 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Setting Up A Custom Default Folder View For ALL New Folders

Do you just search and blindly link to the first result that shows up? The question here is about Explorer folders and you're linking to a discussion about Outlook 2010 folders? Confusing users and wasting their time - is this all a big joke to you guys
    or what? (I'm shocked to see that you're actually a forum moderator here.)

@47.4theMiX: Here's what I do. I first ensure I have only one Explorer window open. I then go to the drive's Properties > Customize tab, set the default folder template as General items and check the option to apply to all subfolders (important):

Default Folder Setting [​IMG]

Next I go to the drive's root folder, set it to Details view, select all my columns and set their positions and widths exactly the way I want. Finally I go to Explorer's ribbon > View > Options > View tab and click the Apply to Folders button, then Yes when
    prompted:

Default Folder Setting [​IMG]

After that any folders I create on the drive inherit all these settings automatically.

RobertJWin, Dec 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Default Folder Setting

Hello Silvera, *Smile

Yes, you can set a default folder view for all folders, and will still be able to change the view of any folder you like afterwards. The tutorial below can help show you how to. It's the same in Windows 10.

Folder View - Set a Default for all Folders in Windows 8

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  5. Silvera Win User
    Thank you Brink. You are a great asset and I really have appreciated your help over the years!

Silvera, Dec 13, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm always glad to help when able. *Smile

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  7. Silvera Win User
    I read the Related Tutorials and none seem to address how to reset a tree of folders. I collect photos of automobiles (over 300K and +100 subfolders), It would be nice to rest them back to large or extra large icons simply. From reviewing the bat file I see this was a reg edit routine. I am not familiar with register editing. I have done it with very explicit details only.

O my I think now that I have relooked I think "How to "Apply to Folders" a Custom View to All Folders with Same Template in Windows 8..." is the answer, correct?

Silvera, Dec 13, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Default Folder Setting

Correct. After you do step 1 in the tutorial I posted above and set the folder view how you like, you would then do step 2 apply it to all other folders.

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  9. Silvera Win User
    Again many thanks, I will customize "Autos" folder structure using this tip!

Silvera, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Default Folder Setting

1. Default Folder Setting - Similar Threads - Default Folder Setting

2. Office - default Folder settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office - default Folder settings?: Can I create a default Folder setting in Windows 11?I'd like to make all files in all Folders to be seen in View https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-default-folder-settings/1c9748c5-ebc5-4761-8e45-7b26192056f5
  3. Office - default Folder settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office - default Folder settings?: Can I create a default Folder setting in Windows 11?I'd like to make all files in all Folders to be seen in View https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-default-folder-settings/1c9748c5-ebc5-4761-8e45-7b26192056f5
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  5. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  6. File folder default settings

File folder default settings: Every time I open a folder I haven't used for several days, or even overnight, the view reverts to details view instead of the large icon view I would like.Is there a way to change this?...
  7. Default settings for Windows folders

Default settings for Windows folders: Can I make a default for all Windows 10 folders? I don't want Date, Type, Size and for files to be in list form. Is this possible? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-settings-for-windows-folders/703ff997-975c-4e24-8940-64772f0b058a
  8. Setting defaults for folder details

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting defaults for folder details: Hallo, Is it possible to set default settings for folders. There is a button which increases column size to contents but this deactivates as soon as you leave the folder. Can you set a default so that the folder automatically sets the column widths. Thank you for your...
  9. default folder setting

default folder setting: I see that this issue has been going on for the last few years and with all my searching i have not yet seen a solution, especially now after all the updates as certain options aren't available like remember folder view in explorer...... All my folders keep switching back to...
  10. Setting Default Folder for an App

Setting Default Folder for an App: I have problem of wrong folder as default folder to open files. See I installed Python using AppStore but IDLE was not opening with some error ' 'some dll file not found' so I downloaded this file and put it in 'system32' folder. Now IDLE is opening but default folder is also...