Windows 10: Default Folder Views

Discus and support Default Folder Views in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Velhans, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Velhans Win User

Default Folder Views

Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently?

For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items" which will change the view to Details, but only temporarily. This also applies to the Desktop. You can create a folder on your desktop, inside create a sub-folder and put some files inside that. You'll notice the default view for the sub-folder will always be the Icon view. Now anyone that's on computers a lot will know that the Icon view when dealing with a lot of files is just a big jumbled mess, I always use the Detailed view, for everything.

It also seems to me they never stay the same. I'll go to My Documents one day and it will be randomly changed back to the Icon view, I can't be the only person who has noticed this. And why there no master setting to set all the folders on your computer to one view, permanently, is crazy. Maybe there is one but I don't know of it.

:)

Velhans, Oct 28, 2015

2. Backup and restore Default folder views

Elite 3x mobile phone

81Dylsdarcy, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Backup and restore Default folder views

Different problem I know mate. But I've accidentally factory reset my hp elite x3 and my life of pictures of me and son. Lost all apps even number in my sim. Please help me I'm in big trouble with my wife:\

81Dylsdarcy, Oct 28, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Default Folder Views

Hi there are a couple of (very) lengthy threads on desktop icons being rearranged + folder views not remaining as you set them which some have experienced. Please have a look.

Note that these coupled symptoms have been a problem for some users from at least Win 7- not a new issue in Win 10.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2015
Thema:

Default Folder Views

1. Default Folder Views - Similar Threads - Default Folder Views

2. Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default: When I customize a folder view in it's properties to use a specific template, it will revert back to the General Items template after I have exit and re-entered the folder. This is so annoying because being able to use different templates view types is most convenient. It...
  3. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  5. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Word and File Explorer default folder view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word and File Explorer default folder view: I want to change the folder view in Word and File Explorer to show only the columns I want, and in the order I want. For example, I want the order to read: Name, Date Modified, Size, Type. Now, Type always precedes Size, no matter how many times I change it. [Moved by...
  7. How to Backup and restore Default folder views

How to Backup and restore Default folder views: This has been copied from a 2017 article I wrote on another forum. I'll review this thread, including any suggestions for improvement, when I get/make the time and I will probably then suggest it as a TenForumsTutorial. Introduction Once you have set up the default folder...
  8. default View LIST in search folder

default View LIST in search folder: how to default View LIST in search folder ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-view-list-in-search-folder/58d196f6-f2bd-4de9-ac02-b93cf7b63026
  9. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521