Windows 10: Default Mail app wont uninstall/reset

Discus and support Default Mail app wont uninstall/reset in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; So after the upgrade to the default mail app refused to auto update, I could still manually update it. After trying everything I decided to reinstall... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by frejoh466, May 25, 2017.

1. frejoh466 Win User

Default Mail app wont uninstall/reset

So after the upgrade to the default mail app refused to auto update, I could still manually update it. After trying everything I decided to reinstall the app, I used power shell to remove it, rebooted and reinstalled the app through the app store.

But after I add a account and go to inbox I see all my old emails accounts and can not do anything with them, I tried to reset the app but that does nothing.

Anyone know how to purge the email app? The auto update didn't seem to work, but the problem might be something that's get left behind after the uninstall.

:)

frejoh466, May 25, 2017

2. Replacing the default app in Windows 10

When I go to replace the default app it wont use a replacement which is already installed.

My default is MS outlook and I want to change to mail. but it says already installed and does nothing.

my mail app isn't working properly which may be the problem.

would like to uninstall mail and reinstall it as default

lexluther_509, May 25, 2017
  3. ANTONIO76 Win User
    Windows 10 mail app broken

Hi,

my windows 10 mail app is broken and i have tried installing and reinstalling. with no success.

It works on my partners profile fine.

I also tried these sites using the removeappxpackage command tto remove default mail app and uninstall adn it still won't work.

SOLVED - Mail and Calendar app won't launch

Doe anyone ahve any clues?

Cheers

Anthony

ANTONIO76, May 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  5. frejoh466 Win User
    Sorry, I can't remove my email accounts (the emails is still there, but they I can delete).

This is what happens,

1. Start the mail app.
    https://i.imgur.com/ciLGcVC.jpg

2. I can see my old accounts
    https://i.imgur.com/ABIxH4b.jpg

3. Added one email account.
    https://i.imgur.com/cmiFTGu.jpg

4. I can see all my old account, and the new one I added, but now there is a duplicate account (the one I added) and I can not remove the other accounts, just the one I just added.
    https://i.imgur.com/fLV87Fp.jpg

frejoh466, May 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Your only other option is probably to get access to the folder containing the mail app and its data and delete appropriate things manually. You can research how to do that- I don't use Mail myself (see below).

The neat way to post screenshots is to use Insert Image (icon to the left of the video icon above your post - there's a tutorial on posting screenshots in the Tutorial section)

This is the sort of reason I much prefer Thunderbird. When MS made Outlook Express obsolete, introduced Win Mail, then scrapped that (mostly) - there are still relics of it- then no client, then Mail - I gave up on MS clients.

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  7. frejoh466 Win User
    So I have been looking around in windows folder and found a bunch of Microsoft bloat crap. I also did a search on C:\ to find everything with "mail" and "windowscommunication", most crap where in WinSxS folder so didn't help that much. I also delete most Microsoft stuff in %appdata%.

But I seems to have missed something from the mail app, and my accounts are still there. So I'm missing something, but don't know what or where.

The images are also big, so they usually break stuff when I don't bother to resize them. But this time it just refused inserting the image (no error message, just nothing), probably because of my addon blocking some third party stuff, and I'm to lazy to look what broke it.

I also use the mail app because it has a nice UI, where I don't like Thunderbird ways of making the mail so small, and I assume that the built in mail app dosen't use that much resources.

frejoh466, May 25, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  9. frejoh466 Win User
    I know WinSxS folder stores copies of all the programs for the uninstallation (don't know why, but meh).

I did delete all "mail" and "windowscommunication" in the windowsapp folder, also in Program Files. Didn't help, so I thought it saved settings in appdata (where it should save it), so I deleted stuff in there too. There where folder by number, eg. 1, 2, 3 etc, where I think I found that folder 7 was the mail app folder, I deleted the root folder. Didn't help.

frejoh466, May 25, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
  11. frejoh466 Win User
    Managed to fix it. Except now I can't add my Gmail account, just the hotmail account.

Going to try and see if I can find a mail program that is similar but not horrible broken.

frejoh466, May 25, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
  13. frejoh466 Win User

Thanks for the help btw.

frejoh466, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default Mail app wont uninstall/reset - Similar Threads - Default Mail app

2. App wont uninstall properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App wont uninstall properly: Hi all I installed an old game (FIFA Manager 06 from CD) to my laptop (windows 10) but it wouldn't work. After trying a couple of things I gave up and tried to install it using the built in uninstaller in Windows. It didn't seem to do anything so I browsed to the programme...
  3. App wont uninstall properly

in Windows 10 Support
    App wont uninstall properly: Hi all I installed an old game (FIFA Manager 06 from CD) to my laptop (windows 10) but it wouldn't work. After trying a couple of things I gave up and tried to install it using the built in uninstaller in Windows. It didn't seem to do anything so I browsed to the programme...
  4. Mail App -Default Font keeps resetting

Mail App -Default Font keeps resetting: I've tried numerous times to reset the mail app/program settings for the default font from a light grey to a darker gray or black. I've tried multiple times through the settings app and to all accounts. I've tired changing the size and every time I save and start a new...
  5. Resetting app, uninstalls that app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Resetting app, uninstalls that app: When i was suffering from some problem in Microsoft store, I decided to reset store. But when i reset Microsoft store, it uninstalled. But its icon didn't removed from start menu. Same happened with one more app, i.e., Your Phone. I tried to reinstall it by powershell...
  6. mail app as a default

in Windows 10 Customization
    mail app as a default: Why would I use "mail" in windows 10 when I already have a gmail account? What is the purpose of "mail"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-app-as-a-default/5633cbb2-8eb8-45a8-a6d6-9540d17f450d
  7. Duplicate App wont Uninstall

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Duplicate App wont Uninstall: So, I downloaded a app from the Windows App Store, when I downloaded it 2 apps showed up in the All Apps list. When I uninstalled one, the other one stayed and it has a little download symbol as the icon. The only option is to pin it to start. Please help....
  8. default mail app

default mail app: Every time I start up my PC since I updated to 1903 I get a message that there is no mail app associated. I do not have Outlook, only the Mail app from the app store. When I look at file associations or default programs I see Mail but I still get the weird message every...
  9. "An App Default was Reset"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  10. No default mail app

in Browsers and Email
    No default mail app: I want to right click on a file and send it to a mail recipient but Windows 10 PRO 16299.309 tell me there is no default mail client. I have looked at the Windows default mail app and it is set to Outlook 2016, no success. I have opened Outlook 2016 and made sure that I...