Windows 10: Default program files.

Discus and support Default program files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, before starting I'd like to say thanks to any of you that try to help me, I really appreciate it! This said, my problem is the following. Some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by acidfly12, Oct 14, 2015.

1. acidfly12 Win User

Default program files.

Hi,

before starting I'd like to say thanks to any of you that try to help me, I really appreciate it! This said, my problem is the following. Some programs (e.g. EMDB) when opened will create a folder with the same name as the program itself in my Documents folder. Is there any way I can change the default path where these programs create those folders? I tried hiding the new folders but that stops the program from working well. I also looked inside the settings of the programs and have found nothing about the default path so I imagine it has something to do with the settings of my PC.

Thanks a lot guys!

:)

acidfly12, Oct 14, 2015

2. Default Programs and File Association

Try:

Right-click a .JSON file and click Properties

Click "Change" and then choose Notepad from the link.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Default Programs and File Association

Thanks Ramesh!

After changing in the properties, it worked!

Also, I realized that Winzip causes these problems, since it uses its own association for files. For anyone who has this problem, change the Winzip Preferences so the default programs can show up!

ThomasChen_395, Oct 14, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Default program files.

That is most likely not a function of windows, but of that specific program. If there is a chance to change where a folder is created by a program it will be from within that program. I'd try checking the settings section of that program to see if that is possible.

JohnC, Oct 14, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi Acidfly12, JohnC's absolutely right. My 'My Documents' folder is full of folders I never personally created- I really think it should be renamed as 'My Programs' Folder' !! (Or the whole usage redefined, and a dedicated folder be defined for programs to use). So, one of many legacy issues.

My personal approach is never to use that folder for my personal things. So I have on partition E 'My Files and Folders' - separate from C: so I don't lose them when I have to restore a disk image of C: when Windows breaks again (or I do sthg silly that breaks it).

For a somewhat different take on this, you can move the whole 'My Documents' folder... if you really feel that's at all helpful..
    How to Move the My Documents Folder | Gizmo's Freeware

That would certainly change the path...!

dalchina, Oct 14, 2015
  6. acidfly12 Win User
    Thank you dalchina & JohnC (Cena Default program files. :p), I'm gonna think about migrating all my personal stuff somewhere else as you suggested..it could help! =)

Thanks!

af12

acidfly12, Oct 15, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    The other issue is security. The last thing you want is to have your personal data on the same disk/partition as Windows. Even if you use disk imaging. Even with File History backup now, the problem is having to deal with recovery. Windows has never moved away from its small disk origins- ideally Windows would be inaccessible to users, and anything user installed would be on a separate disk/partition- drivers, user registry... but they'll never do it.

And it would make forums like this largely redundant... Oh dear!

dalchina, Oct 15, 2015
  8. vexorg Win User

Default program files.

I still have the older unix mentality, even with windows. Minimum of one partition for OS, one for programs, one for my data/docs, and one for junk space. If I remember then even one partition for swapfile.

The problem is that there are so many temp files and folders scattered round the C drive that it annoys me. Temp for all should be able to be routed to junk partition. And the OS partition show never be written to unless being updated.

vexorg, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Default program files.

1. Default program files. - Similar Threads - Default program files

2. Default programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default programs: I just reinstalled Windows10 with latest updates and now when I go to Settings to set my defaults specifically Photos - ThumbsPlus , ThumbsPlus does not show up as a selection. The option to select another program from this PC is no longer there, the only options are various...
  3. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  4. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  5. Default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default programs: I have set up my default browser properly and when I start it, after startup, it asks me t;o make it the default browser; I have to set it up again and I still get the "make me the default browser" . I know how to do it properly, I've been doing it for years, also the...
  6. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  7. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  8. Cannot change file's default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change file's default program: Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program". There are certain types that do not change and when I...
  9. Default Programs??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default Programs??: I'm making a Windows 10 Pro image and I want to make some programs I installed from the administrator account to be default for all users that sign in from our active directory. Is this possible just by using the admin account?? 38787
  10. Default program for .bin files

Default program for .bin files: Hi, I got an annoying problem. I accidently happened to make all my .bin files open with notepad. Ive tried to restore the default assocication of the .bin files through the default choice in control panel and also through regedit but without any success. Could someone...