Windows 10: Default Program won't change?

Discus and support Default Program won't change? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Martyn27, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Martyn27 Win User

Default Program won't change?

I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a default". Never had this before and can't find much online about it?
    See Imgur

:)

Martyn27, Mar 17, 2016

2. Change homegroup settings - Error code: 2147500037

I had the same problem. For whatever reason it won't print if Internet Explorer is not the default browser.

Instant fix:

• Type “default programs” into the search box on the taskbar
    • Choose “Default Programs” from the list
    • Choose “Set your default programs”
    • Click “Internet Explorer”
    • Click “Set this program as default”
    • Press “OK”
    • Print
    • Choose “Set your default programs”
    • Click your favorite browser
    • Click “Set this program as default”
    • Done!

pcbobsledder, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 with Yahoo Mail as default - "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action"

Windows 10 won't associate the Yahoo program (from the Microsoft store) as the default e-mail program

LouisLeyens, Mar 17, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Try the old-fashioned way...............

Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by: > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, scroll to Chrome > click it > right side, click set this program as default > click OK

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  5. Martyn27 Win User
    Great!!

That worked perfect thanks *Biggrin Did not know that way existed. What about if an app isn't on there? I can only see the new version of VLC and not the old one I have installed, and in my tinkering with defaults have removed that from my video options

Martyn27, Mar 17, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    That method has been in existence since Vista and continues on to Win 7.
    And Win 10...... for now.

Not sure about the new and old VLC. Perhaps the new one has replaced the old one from the system?

There is another way by enabling Open With right click context menu.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

How to use it:
    Right click at the file, in this case it will be video or audio file > Open With > at the bottom of the popup, click Choose another app > scroll to find the program you want (VLC) > click that program > check the box " Always use this app to open ( the file type) > OK when done.

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  7. Martyn27 Win User
    I think that open with trick is how I did it last time - cheers mate been doing my head in all morning

Martyn27, Mar 17, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

By the way, not sure what happens to yours.
    I can see my VLC in the Set your default programs screen...............................

Default Program won't change? [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    If no more questions or issues, please mark your thread as Solved so that others with similar issue will know there is an answer in this thread.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default Program won't change? - Similar Threads - Default Program won't

2. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  3. change default email program ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default email program ?: how to change default email program from outlook to win 10 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-email-program/b146b8b3-2491-48c1-bcc0-499ac61cfc82"
  4. Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML: Hi there, Currently, as per the title, it appears to be impossible to change the .xml extension to open with Microsoft Excel 2016, instead defaulting to Office XML Handler and disallowing any apparent method for changing it. Computer is Windows 10, 64xbit OS, 8GB RAM. The...
  5. Change default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  6. JNLP default won't change.

JNLP default won't change.: I was attempting to open a JNLP file with Java (per usual) when Windows 10 told me I did not have a default application and I could choose one if I'd like, which I would so I don't have to browse every time. When I selected Java as my default application it failed to launch...
  7. Can't Change Default Programs

Can't Change Default Programs: Hello anyone reading this I am having a problem with Windows 10 Here is a video about it: https://youtu.be/G_BIcAyhXCc And if you can't watch the video my problem is I can't go into file manager in the default programs selector, I also can change what a program opens...
  8. Unable to change default program

Unable to change default program: I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. Photos default program needs to be changed

Photos default program needs to be changed: I messed up big time while installing 10 or shortly after I logged in. Somewhere I unchecked Photos, Mail, Camera and something else. Photos are set to open with TWINUI in properties but has a popout saying 'Element can't be found.' but can be opened in Paint. Everything...