Windows 10: Default screenshot folder messed up! Help!

Discus and support Default screenshot folder messed up! Help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello there guys, I'm running Windows 10 Home. I changed my default screenshot folder from OneDrive>Pictures to my desktop. Now when ever I take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017.

1. saadsohal Win User

Default screenshot folder messed up! Help!

Hello there guys,

I'm running Windows 10 Home. I changed my default screenshot folder from OneDrive>Pictures to my desktop. Now when ever I take screenshots, they are directly saved onto my desktop instead of a "screenshots" folder on my desktop. The only way I can think of fixing this is to move my default screenshot folder to another location, but the problem here is that my DESKTOP has become my default screenshot folder. So basically I don't have a default folder named "screenshots" where my screenshots go. Screenshots are directly saved ONTO my DESKTOP!

I have no clue how to fix this. I don't want my desktop all cluttered with screenshots I take. Please help me fix this.

Thanks in advance.

:)

saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017

2. Help with messed up "download system folder"

I'm experiencing the same issue. I changed the location of my Downloads folder to Desktop. Now, instead of having a Downloads folder and Desktop folder, I have two Desktop folders. I've tried using Restore Default to no avail. I've also tried manually
    typing in 'C:\Users\Anthony\Downloads' to no avail; the folder's name and location remain as Desktop. Please help me!

Anthony Falez, Aug 9, 2017
  3. Help with messed up "download system folder"

I was trying to relocate my user folders on a different drive and accidentally redirected (or merged?) my "download" system folder with my "Document" system folder...

Now, my "download" folder shows the arrow down icon but has been renamed "documents" and I can no longer change its name. How do I restore my original downloads folder?

Noel Moens, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @saadsohal

If you are talking about the screenshots made with WinKey+PrtSc then the default folder is usually %USERPROFILE%\Pictures\Screenshots unless you are saving to OneDrive. The correct way to stop saving to OneDrive is in this tutorial. Turning off save to OneDrive should have returned it to saving to ...Pictures\Screenshots.
    Turn On or Off Auto Save Screenshots to OneDrive in Windows 10

The correct way to move the default save-to folder is to right-click on the Screenshots folder, select 'Properties' and use 'Move' on the 'Location' tab.

How exactly did you move yours? Without knowing exactly what you did it is difficult to say how to undo it. Probably your best approach would be to do a system restore to a time before you made the changes then move it in the intended way (and best to move it somewhere other than Desktop this time, just to be safe). I'd suggest leaving it in the default Pictures\Screenshots, and if you want access to it from the Desktop just put a link to the Screenshots folder on your Desktop.

System Restore Windows 10

Bree, Aug 9, 2017
  5. saadsohal Win User
    Thank you for the detailed and fast response @Bree.

So this is how I moved the default screenshots folder:

Right clicked the screenshots folder in OneDrive > Properties > Location > Move > I selected desktop

Instead of moving the screenshots folder to the desktop, it made my desktop the screenshots folder itself. I want to undo that but that means I'll have to right click the desktop folder in my user files and move its location rather than moving the screenshots folder (since I don't have a separate screenshots folder anymore Default screenshot folder messed up! Help! :p ). That way, my whole desktop will move. So basically I want to undo what I did. I figured that I should've made a new folder on my desktop and renamed it to screenshots and then moved my OneDrive screenshots folder to the newly made folder (I'll do that next time).

I don't want to restore to a previous point, because the previous point is from yesterday when I installed this fresh copy of windows on my notebook. It will undo all my updates and the programs I installed after installing this copy of windows.

Is there any other way of fixing it?

saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    While that is true if you move a system folder to another system folder you get this (I put the bold myself)

I've not managed (or even tried) to undo it

lx07, Aug 9, 2017
  7. saadsohal Win User
    Yeah I read that and misunderstood the bold part. Dumb of me.

So that means I'll have to either restore windows or reinstall it! Sigh.

Anyways, thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it. Kudos.

saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Hmm, I don't use OneDrive, but that would seem to be a BIG problem. I wonder if it would create a 'Videos' folder (in your case, 'Screenshots' for the OP) which could then be moved to the User folder? If not it would seem saving to OneDrive is an irreversible option. *Sad

Bree, Aug 9, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    It's a personal setting for each user account. You could just create yourself a new user account, remember to make it an Administrator if you do.

Bree, Aug 9, 2017
  10. saadsohal Win User
    Oh wow. That sounds like a good idea. Will I be able to delete this user account though? I just need 1 user account on this PC.

saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    You could try to move it back - I'm just not sure what would happen.

Alternatively make a new account as @Bree said.

Move all your documents from C:\Users\OldName to C:\Users\Public
    Make a new Administrator account and sign onto it.
    Move all your documents from C:\Users\Public to C:\Users\NewName
    If all is OK next week, delete the old account.

Moving things (rather than copying) takes seconds so it would be the fastest way and deals with any authority issues.

12. saadsohal Win User
    WOW!!!! IT WORKED! Thank you SO much guys. You guys are amazing!

I created a new user account with administrator rights and deleted the old one! You don't know how thankful I am to you guys for the fast replies and the help.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

saadsohal, Aug 9, 2017
  13. Try3 Win User

saadsohal,

If you get the same problem in the future, please note that you do not need to create a new user account to solve the problem. You can fix it in the Registry in about 10 seconds - create the target folder you want to use then see section 4.4 of Capturing screen contents - the PrntScrn key, Win-Shift-S, the Snipping tool & Screenshots

You can use similar procedures for relocating all other user folders after problems such as yours - see Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Denis

Thema:

1. Default screenshot folder messed up! Help! - Similar Threads - Default screenshot folder

2. HELP! Screenshots are not being saved to screenshot folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Screenshots are not being saved to screenshot folder?: I cant seem to find my screenshots anywhere. Even after taking a screenshot [Shift + Windows + S], the screenshot folder [One Drive > Pictures > Screenshots] remains empty. i’ve made sure to tick the ‘Save Screenshots I capture to OneDrive’ from OneDrive settings and to no...
  3. HELP! Screenshots are not being saved to screenshot folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! Screenshots are not being saved to screenshot folder?: I cant seem to find my screenshots anywhere. Even after taking a screenshot [Shift + Windows + S], the screenshot folder [One Drive > Pictures > Screenshots] remains empty. i’ve made sure to tick the ‘Save Screenshots I capture to OneDrive’ from OneDrive settings and to no...
  4. Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder: I had onedrive installed on my laptop previously, but it wasn't signed in or set up, I also disabled the auto start on startup for onedrive since I don't use it and won't like to get my files backed up, but I noticed one thing, for some reason, my "Documents", "Pictures" and...
  5. Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder: I had onedrive installed on my laptop previously, but it wasn't signed in or set up, I also disabled the auto start on startup for onedrive since I don't use it and won't like to get my files backed up, but I noticed one thing, for some reason, my "Documents", "Pictures" and...
  6. How to move the default Screenshots folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move the default Screenshots folder: On my Windows 10 Professional, the default folder where screenshots are saved when I press Prt Sc is C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Public\Pictures. I did not set this up. Windows one day just decided to use this folder. C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Public\Pictures is not a Library folder....
  7. Messed Up Main Folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed Up Main Folders: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sonbun_142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvll1j/messed_up_main_folders/
  8. please help, I MESSED UP (system folders)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    please help, I MESSED UP (system folders): [ATTACH] I tried to move the system folders to my bigger ssd ("Laufwerk E"). I followed the instructions on this side https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/ so i started with "3d objects" and now it...
  9. WIndows folders messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows folders messed up: My folders seemed to have renamed themselves, joined up and changed icons. [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-folders-messed-up/91a307d3-95bb-49df-a573-195957efa147"
  10. Messed up downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up downloads folder: Hi. I was checking on Microsoft Edge and was trying to change it's default download location to my Desktop. Now I couldn't find anything and so after some google'ing I saw a guide that instructs me to change something on my Downloads folder by going...