Windows 10: Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps

Discus and support Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello! Sorry if this has been already asked, but it's kind of late and I'm tired, I don't want to go through all the threads. Just point me to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by spapakons, Feb 1, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps

Hello!

Sorry if this has been already asked, but it's kind of late and I'm tired, I don't want to go through all the threads. Just point me to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

My problem is that I set Media Player Classic for MP4, MPG, AVI, MKV and other formats and Windows Photo Viewer for JPG, PNG etc. The next day for some unknown reason I see these associated with Windows Video and Photo app instead! I right-slick on a MP4 files, select Open with->Choose Default app and set Windows Media Player Classic again for the millionth time. The next day I see the MP4 files associated with build-in Windows Video app! It drives me crazy! What's causing it? Any permanent solution? I usually leave my computer running with the monitor switched off when in work (so I can access it via TeamViewer), rarely restart, if that matters. For other details see my specs.

Thank you in advance!

:)

spapakons, Feb 1, 2016

2. Photos are not saving on my lumia 925 running windows phone 8.1

1) Try opening your default photo app and hit the browse button.

2) Try changing the default camera application (worked for me, had the same issue but with video function)

3) Download this application and navigate to the photos folder, your photos may be there but just not appearing
    on the app.

Dimitris Batsougiannis, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Photos are not saving on my lumia 925 running windows phone 8.1

Nope changing the default didnt work at all

BTW i can still see the image saving but when i open i get " Cant get the picture try again later" (comes forever), transfer it to a system , the photo couldnot be read

File application shows the same.

harish g bhat, Feb 1, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

I would set the associations here: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

5. spapakons Win User
    I think I did that already, but I'll try again just in case. It is really annoying...Thank you

spapakons, Feb 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 3, 2016
  7. spapakons Win User
    Well,

having read the thread in your link, I do have an "old" WinZip (version 18.5) because I prefer the classic interface over the modern and newer versions dropped the classic interface. I'm not sure this causes the problem, it sounds crazy! Any workaround (apart from installing the newer version of WinZip or using WinRAR) ? Could I export my desired associations in a .reg file and restore them easily with a simple merge? Thank you.

spapakons, Feb 4, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Suggest you could at least try uninstalling it. There are other zip programs around. As to how it manages to achieve that weird effect... but it has been reported 2 or 3 times that I've seen. Which suggests there might be other such similar causes I suppose...

dalchina, Feb 5, 2016
  9. spapakons Win User
    Yes, I confirmed that. Every time I use WinZIP it screws my associations back to Windows default apps. Apart from the obvious, to uninstall it, how can I backup the associations in a registry file (.reg) so I can easily restore them with a double click? Do I have to highlight all the relevant keys or is there an easier way to export them all (just the associations)? Thank you.

spapakons, Feb 6, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 6, 2016
  11. spapakons Win User
    Brilliant! It's rather later, so I won't try it now. I'll do it tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you!

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps - Similar Threads - Default video photo

2. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  3. Windows 11 keeps changing default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps changing default apps: This is driving me insane! And yes, I know how I'm supposed to be able to change these, and I do, but Win11 continues to hijack them back.It happens most often with PDFs changing from Adobe back to Edge. Often within minutes of having changed the default settings to Adobe. I...
  4. Changing Photo default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Photo default apps: It seems now, with possible update, I can no longer open my photographs using my installed photoshop program. It defaults to Microsoft Photo app instead when clicking on an image in Windows Explorer folders. Use to be you got a choice when choosing OPEN WITH, but although I...
  5. Photos app keeps changing photo destination

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos app keeps changing photo destination: Hello! I've been able to import photos just fine in the past, but recently the Photos app has changed where my photos get imported to. I want to import them to my external hard drive, where they have been going, but Windows keeps changing the destination. This is when I...
  6. Cannot change video default app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot change video default app: Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I select another app, there's a pause and then the screen goes black. Can an app lock this setting? If so, short of removing the...
  7. default app for jpegs keeps changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    default app for jpegs keeps changing: I prefer Windows Photo Viewer to view jpeg images. For some reason, on occasion, this app will not open, and worst, it is not listed in when I use "open with." Opening an image from it's folder brings up another app I use, FastStone. I went to settings and changed the...
  8. photo viewer default application not able to change

photo viewer default application not able to change: Hai, I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening. After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my...
  9. Change default photo viewer app

Change default photo viewer app: My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures? [img] 103812
  10. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default: My default sources keep changing from the sources that I choose. Also, the photos app keeps recreating the pictures library in the C:\Users\UserHere directory even though I changed it over to another drive. I've also already tried uninstalling the photos app via Windows...