Windows 10: Defaults fail to save

Discus and support Defaults fail to save in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Had this issue now since the 1511 update, when i set my image viewer to windows photo viewer it was reverting back to the win 10 photo app, i removed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by boohbah, Nov 18, 2015.

1. boohbah Win User

Defaults fail to save

Had this issue now since the 1511 update, when i set my image viewer to windows photo viewer it was reverting back to the win 10 photo app, i removed the app,
    i even installed photo gallery as it has the same functionality as PV
    it now asks what software do i want to use to open every time i click to open a image.
    i contacted ms as a last resort to be told they could fix it in the registry at a cost, i refused on principal, i dont feel i should have to pay for what is an update issue, it worked fine since june.
    i have set the defaults in several ways including file type associations etc. each time it reverts, i can open the image in PV after setting the default, then i close the image and reopen it to be greeted to the which software do you want to use window,

:)

boohbah, Nov 18, 2015
  2. jimcou Win User

File History defaults vs what I want to save

File History offers me 8 or 10 folders to choose from for back up. I choose those I want and elect to "remove" those I don't want. Then I drop down and specifically exclude those I don't want. I also make sure those which I don't want are further
    listed in the Control Panel settings as folders to ignore. I then direct File History to save my files to a 64gb USB drive. I then find it has backed up some folders I didn't choose and failed to back up some which I chose.

I don't know if the failure to save those I chose was because there were no changes from the previous save or whether there is a problem with File History configuration. I also don't understand why it ignores my election to disregard certain folders.

Also, the folder I chose to back up only contained about 250 mb of data, but when I examine the USB drive in Windows File Explorer, it shows that the back up consumed about 7 GB of space.

I have spent hours researching this but can't find any answers that deal specifically with my questions.

I will appreciate any help. I think File History can be useful If I can come to understand how it is designed to work.

jimcou, Nov 18, 2015
  3. jimcou Win User
    File History defaults vs what I want to save

Eeshwar'

Thank you for your interest and reply.

My computer is in my home on a LAN sharing a router with my wife's laptop in the same residence.

I installed Windows 10 last week and discovered File History then and have been trying to understand how it works since. I have read several hours worth of Google search results but have not found anything that bears directly on my problem. I have reviewed
    the URL you referenced above but did not find it helpful.

My problem is either:

a) Windows does not offer a method of choosing
    only the files I want to back up with File History, or

b) I am unable to find it.

If you know which is the correct answer, I would be happy to hear it.

jimcou, Nov 18, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Defaults fail to save

Hi, try setting the default with the 'old' control panel..
    Whilst I haven't had exactly the same experience, I found using Settings defaults did not completely succeed in associating all file types and protocols with my browser. I had to complete that using the 'old' control panel- both in 10540 and 10586 (when Edge suddenly became my default, unexpectedly).

dalchina, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

Defaults fail to save

1. Defaults fail to save - Similar Threads - Defaults fail save

2. Default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default save location: Question in the image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-save-location/78159927-885e-4c2d-96b4-2630a5117bb2
  3. Default Save As Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Save As Location: Greetings-Would like to know how to change the default Save As location for Windows 10 File Browser. Currently it is set to the Downloads folder but I like to expedite everything from my desktop to an external drive so I readily know where files are located.I had previosly...
  4. Default Save As Location

Default Save As Location: Greetings-Would like to know how to change the default Save As location for Windows 10 File Browser. Currently it is set to the Downloads folder but I like to expedite everything from my desktop to an external drive so I readily know where files are located.I had previosly...
  5. Default SAVE location

Default SAVE location: I am sick and tired of OneDrive. I go look for a document and can't find it on my PC because Excel or Word saved it to OneDrive How do I stop ANY programs WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, PDF editors, any from saving to OneDrive? I want the documents on my PC, not a OneDrive folder....
  6. Default save folder

Default save folder: I notice on two occasions when I downloaded a PDF from a web portal, it saved it under Network. Obviously, that is not where I want it to go. In Settings > Storage > Change where new content is saved, it just shows the C drive. There is no drop down menu. Is there a way...
  7. Default save locations

Default save locations: I am able to see where I can change my default save locations, however, it only shows my (C:) drive and not my other drives on the network. Is it possible to add new locations, and if so, how?...
  8. save as (default)_

in Windows 10 Customization
    save as (default)_: Hi Dear Sir... My respect I don't know what happen but since a while when I "SAVE AS" an image it became with extention: .jfif I was before .jpg How i make win10 return to that "save as" default : .jpg Many thanks...
  9. Default App not saving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default App not saving: I'm trying to have all image files open in Windows Photo Viewer instead of the new Photos app. I already edited my registry to get the option to use WPV, and have successfully associated .jpg files with it. I have tried many times to associate other extensions, too, but none...
  10. Default save location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default save location: I have a small SSD holding my OS, and a large HDD for everything else. I am trying to change the default install path to my storage drive, but when I go to settings, system, storage, I am unable to change the default install path to my storage drive (F:). Everything else...