Windows 10: defaultuser() folder - is that normal?

Discus and support defaultuser() folder - is that normal? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I noticed I have a defaultuser() folder in my Users folder alongside my main user and the Public folder, is it something that should be... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mibaup, Sep 13, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

defaultuser() folder - is that normal?

Hello,

I noticed I have a defaultuser() folder in my Users folder alongside my main user and the Public folder, is it something that should be there?

**EDIT: It's defaultuser0 (zero)

Ty

:)

mibaup, Sep 13, 2016
  2. borate Win User

Get rid of Windows 10 defaultuser0

** UPDATED INFO **

Using Netplwiz, only the account with my name is listed on both the PC and the laptop - no Defaultuser().

Earlier, when Defaultuser() was removed from the USERS folder in File Manager, Windows update failed (twice) to install the latest cumulative update. It succeeded after the Defaultuser() account was restored from the recycle bin.

Related? Perhaps...

However, weeks later - after creating an image of the partition, a restore point, and a recovery drive - Defaultuser() was again deleted from the USERS folder and from the Profile list in the registry. A subsequent update (10/11) succeeded.

(Some folks report seeing Defaultuser0 instead.)

borate, Sep 13, 2016
  3. fka001 Win User
    Change c\users\defaultuser name

New laptop - I want to rename the default user folder to something more sensible because MS has decided to use part of my email which I logged in with. I cant seem to.

Can anyone help?

I have spent hours looking to how to do this online. This is why I really hate windows and seriously considering return the laptop for an apple mac . Nothing is simple and customer service ( if you ever manage to talk to someone) are about as useful as
    a chocolate teapot.

Steps taken

Created new admin user

tried to rename the folder for the original user who is also an admin

I keep getting error - youll need to provide admin permissions.

how do I do this?

As the original user, there is no option to rename the folder

* Moved rom Insider

fka001, Sep 13, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Do you have Anniversary Update installed? I also had one such folder but I deleted it manually. Haven't noticed anything strange so far, but I would wait to hear others opinions on this matter before you do anything.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 13, 2016
  5. shimshom Win User
    I had the same thing and saw many posts in other forums about the same thing. I uninstalled it by going to lusrmgr.msc and removing it from there just after clean installing the AU when it was made available. I also cleaned it out of the registry and no issues at all. Just make sure you don't remove the normal default user

shimshom, Sep 13, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Do you mean defaultuser0 or defaultuser() ?

The Default user folder is hidden and should be there. DefaultUser0 is a bug and you can delete it (I had it). I've not come across DefaultUser().

When you upgrade you also get a Default.migrated folder in C:\Users and that can also be deleted.

7. Kari Win User
  8. lx07 Win User

defaultuser() is not the same defaultuser0 though. That is the number 0 not open-close brackets. In the link above the question was about defaultuser0 (as far as my eyes can read the screen prints anyway) and the reply was about defaultuser()

defaultuser0 actually is a user - you can see it in the registry with a SID, you can see it with net user and so on. For some people it is created on clean install and they can't even log on as Windows demands the password and there isn't one. For me it was created on clean install (but I could still create my initial user) so like @shimshom I deleted it but from net user and the registry also - not just deleting the directory in C:\Users.

Is defaultuser() just a folder in C:\Users i.e. a different issue?

9. Kari Win User
    The OP's question was and is about defaultuser() (word defaultuser followed by brackets, not digit 0):

There exists no such thing than defaultuser0 account in Windows. I recommend using a screen zoom tool to see how this unnecessary, harmless, risk free to delete user account's name is written.

10. Thank you just done both on all my systems I have up and running and found no trouble at all

hTconeM9user, Sep 13, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    Already removed one of my posts in this thread *Smile

OK, checked this a bit more on my machines. Some of them have defaultuser() with brackets, one has defaultuser0 with digit 0. In any case, on all machines the accounts are totally unnecessary and can be removed simply by deleting the folder in main profile folder.

I cannot find any logic why some systems show it as defaultuser() and other as defaultuser0.

The account is shown in Computer Management (#1) and Users folder shows its profile folder (#2), but it's not active user as Advanced User Control Panel shows (#3):

defaultuser() folder - is that normal? [​IMG]

It belongs to no groups:

... and as far as Windows is concerned it has no profile:

It is completely unnecessary to use any drastic methods to delete the user account; it is not active, it has no known profile. Removing the folder is all you have to do.

12. lx07 Win User
    Did you check net user? Is it the same for both?

Not a big deal as you can't sign on (except for the poor souls who get asked the password when installing). Unlike default.migrated it is an account though.

I got it for all the clean installs I've done for the last few insider builds and the AE - only on my real hardware, not on VM. I recently installed Server 2016 TP5 (which is 10586) and it doesn't happen there. Not sure what that means except it seems recent.

I agree though it isn't terribly important.

13. mibaup Win User

Oh guys, it is really DefaultUser0 with zero, and not ( ), my bad.

And it was created after a clean install, downloaded from Microsoft official website

mibaup, Sep 13, 2016
  14. you can uninstall it as it does nothing I have and it has not messed anything up

hTconeM9user, Sep 13, 2016
  15. mibaup Win User
    Thanks,
    Simply delete it? Or as someone said - to also remove from registry (How to do that ?*Smile )

mibaup, Sep 13, 2016
Thema:

1. defaultuser() folder - is that normal? - Similar Threads - defaultuser folder normal

2. Multiple DefaultUsers 10000 to 100001

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple DefaultUsers 10000 to 100001: Just noticed I have approx 12 Default Users. Some with no User Info and several with my User Info of L02XXXX on several. I checked the properties of 6 or 7 of these and all had 0 Folders and Files. Can I Copy/Paste the add'l Users into the Default User to get rid of the extra...
  3. Multiple DefaultUsers 10000 to 100001

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple DefaultUsers 10000 to 100001: Just noticed I have approx 12 Default Users. Some with no User Info and several with my User Info of L02XXXX on several. I checked the properties of 6 or 7 of these and all had 0 Folders and Files. Can I Copy/Paste the add'l Users into the Default User to get rid of the extra...
  4. Multiple DefaultUsers 10000 to 100001

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?: I recently noticed often app-crashes and decided to check the tasks running when I fell onto some suspicious files including many users in folder properties>security. Is this a possible trojan virus sign?...
  6. Why do I have so many defaultuser folders? Are they safe to get rid of?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why do I have so many defaultuser folders? Are they safe to get rid of?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/user_number_291647 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0d63c/why_do_i_have_so_many_defaultuser_folders_are/
  7. Unidentified Defaultuser profiles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unidentified Defaultuser profiles: Windows 10 2004 b. 19041.264 32-bit I see these extra profile folders in C:\Users. What are they for, and can I get rid of them? There are only two Windows user accounts on this machine. The dates they were created refer - I think - to the upgrades to 1609 and 2004....
  8. Shared Folders/ Is this normal??

Shared Folders/ Is this normal??: Ive Also noticed that on 7/07 another computer is listed in my event viewer. Custom views/windows logs/ and administrative log[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-is-this-normal/d447ef24-f90a-46c9-8f17-7bf14f30981c"
  9. defaultuser() Password

defaultuser() Password: How do I find out what the password is for defaultuser() OR how do I change it in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/defaultuser-password/c79c8d90-5ae7-44ff-94de-4474a3231011"
  10. 'defaultuser()' Discussion

in Windows 10 Support
    'defaultuser()' Discussion: Hello ! I've noticed that lately the 'General Discussions' section is just questions and answers. And I can't say I wasn't part of that, because I come here with most of my pc stuff that I can't fix on my own. So this is intended to be a discussion, because we shouldn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user defaultuser vs defaultuser() windows

2. Can defaultuser folder be deleted?