Windows 10: Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question

Discus and support Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello There After using Avast for 16 years, and discovering a file was writing a lot to the drive, decided to try Defender longer this time, now if... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question

Hello There

After using Avast for 16 years, and discovering a file was writing a lot to the drive, decided to try Defender longer this time, now if i decide to enable Controlled Folder protection or Ransomware protection after 1803 Released, does that add extra unnecessary writes to my SSD Drive? If it does, then might just leave off and hope i'm safe enough..

Try to minimize writes to the SSD Drive as knows too many writes affect it's lifespan, leaving Avast Free Antivirus is tough choice, but with iscache.dat writing anywhere to 300kbs-3mb a day, i figured was time to try and give up on it, then again if they fix the issue, might end up continuing to use, as i do trust that program, Defender not so sure on, Had a bad infection back in 2005 when i was testing WIndows Live Onecare at the time, but i know the infection was my own fault

:)

AMDMan2016, Mar 30, 2018
  2. Jsssssssss, Mar 30, 2018
  3. Windows Defender's "Controlled Folder Access" feature is permanently off

This is by design, since folder monitoring requires Defender’s on-access (real-time) protection. So you can’t enable
    Controlled folder access when you have a third-party AV app installed and Windows Defender is running in its
    Limited Periodic Scanning (on-demand) mode. This new feature is only available when Windows Defender’s is running in a standalone configuration, and its real-time protection is turned on, as indicated in the
    Requirements section of this documentation:

Help prevent ransomware and threats from encrypting and changing files

GreginMich, Mar 30, 2018
Thema:

Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question

1. Defender Controlled Folder Protection Question - Similar Threads - Defender Controlled Folder

2. Removing protected folders in controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing protected folders in controlled folder access: As it stands, I am unable to remove the base folders from the Protected Folders list. This would normally be fine except any game I download from Steam that writes settings/save files to the "C:\users\[user]\documents" path is caught as malicious by windows defender. While I...
  3. Removing protected folders in controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing protected folders in controlled folder access: As it stands, I am unable to remove the base folders from the Protected Folders list. This would normally be fine except any game I download from Steam that writes settings/save files to the "C:\users\[user]\documents" path is caught as malicious by windows defender. While I...
  4. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  5. Folder Protection Question

Folder Protection Question: How can I place hard protection on a folder to prevent Defender and all other security software from nuking the contents they don't like? -thank you 178505
  6. Defining Protected Folders in Defender

Defining Protected Folders in Defender: Hi For some time now neither my husband nor I have had an antivirus installed since we have depended entirely on Microsoft Defender teamed with Malwarebytes to protect our PCs. This was at the recommendation of How To Geek some years ago. Just to check it was still man enough...
  7. Questions about Windows Defender protecting

Questions about Windows Defender protecting: I have some questions connected to Windows Defender. It would be great if someone would tell me a bit more about how it protects system and the whole pc. As I do a lot of research and receive lot of documents, I want to know how Defender works. 1. Does Defender protects pc...
  8. Password protected folder question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Password protected folder question: I have a folder and all its files are password protected and shared to only one user, User-A. If i use it as SMB no one else except the User-A can see the files in that folder. My question is if i access my computer via SSH with any user, any user can see the file structure...
  9. defender protected folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    defender protected folders: win 10 will not start after i changed the defender protected folder, and included the windows folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/defender-protected-folders/63bfca4d-0fff-4817-8358-d4c1b9c5a67a
  10. Controlled folder Access question

Controlled folder Access question: I decided to try this new feature in 1709. So I am busily adding .exe to my whitelist. But I have a question. I have a 3rd party music programme I use for ripping CD's, playing songs and the like. From time to time it prompts me to update to the latest version. My...