Windows 10: Defender & MBAM Coexsistence

Discus and support Defender & MBAM Coexsistence in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Odd error on Insider (any build) with Defender and MBAM running at same time. MBAM is 3.0.6.1469. With Defender periodic scanning enabled, and all 4... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by f14tomcat, Feb 11, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Defender & MBAM Coexsistence

Odd error on Insider (any build) with Defender and MBAM running at same time. MBAM is 3.0.6.1469. With Defender periodic scanning enabled, and all 4 MBAM protections enabled, I can't update definitions. WU won't find them either.

I get this error, and the code leads to practically nowhere. I do see MpCmdRun.exe fire up for just a second before the error is posted. It's trying to update, but can't. I have Defender and MpCmdRun.exe and all I could find related set as exclusions in MBAM. Also, the Defender setting of Periodic will not stick on a reboot. Used to be a setting somewhere to register/unregister Virus Protection, but I can't find it now. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting how Defender and MBAM should live with each other. I thought it would be MBAM as Real Time Protection and Defender as periodic and on demand scanning. Apparently not.

Is this the new normal until MS and MB sign a peace treaty? I'm not sure at all which side is being cranky.

Any thoughts and/or fixes? Thanks, TC.....

Defender & MBAM Coexsistence [​IMG]

:)

f14tomcat, Feb 11, 2017

2. Bad_Pool_Header started after a Windows 10 upgrade

When & why was MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) installed? Is it MBAM Premium or MBAM Free? Has MBAM ever detected & quarantined anything since it's been installed? ...before you upgraded to Win10? ...after you upgraded to Win10?

[Defender (not Defender Offline) will not be available as long as the Bitdefender application is installed.]

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 11, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    If I install Mbam *** Windows Premium (Malwarebytes), will it interfere with Defender? Win 10

Since MBAM is now sold as an anti virus replacement/program it might interfere with WD & it certainly requires a change of a setting within MBAM to not allow it to register in security centre so that it doesn’t disable it. The Pro version of MBAM especially
    so.

Read about this here: Malwarebytes 3.0.5 and Windows Defender.

Time Lady, Feb 11, 2017
  4. Defender & MBAM Coexsistence

Interesting problem, from what I have read, there are basically 2 options:
    Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions - Malwarebytes 3.0 - Malwarebytes Forums

1. Run both as a realtime protection, WD being primary and MBAM secondary (not registered as AV).
    2. Run MBAM as a primary (registered as AV always in Action Center), WD disabled.

The third option would be like this:

3. Run MBAM as a primary, WD disabled, but run WD on-demand.

I guess, they have not expected running WD as on-demand, since its signatures are inferior.
    Try to run this as admin via CMD and then update, but I do not think, it will do with MBAM on.

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /f

You better report it on MBAM's forum. Version 3 is pretty new, especially as AV, so this is expected.

TairikuOkami, Feb 11, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks for quick reply! This doesn't seem to be an issue in 14393 AU, just Insider builds. They (MS) have been mucking around with compatibility of Defender and other AVs. I remember something from earlier installs of MBAM where there was a question of registering it, now it seems to be gone. And I can't find that in Action Center/Settings anywhere. This is on 15031 IP, so nothing would surprise me. Maybe I can't get there from here! *chuckle

Not a critical problem at all. Just wanted to know if there was a hammer I could use on either AV to get them to play nice together. Not sure if MB or MS anticipated this scenario.

Thanks for digging. If you have anything else, or can think of something, please post! TC

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Defender & MBAM Coexsistence

1. Defender & MBAM Coexsistence - Similar Threads - Defender MBAM Coexsistence

2. Microsoft Defender and MBAM no longer work simultaneously

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender and MBAM no longer work simultaneously: . For about 5 years, Microsoft Defender (MSD) and MalwareBytes (MBAM) have co-existed without problems. These are my only two protections. Both are "always on". Both could be used for individual files and folders, using right-click in File Explorer. Today, right-click on an...
  3. Is there a portable version of MBAM?

Is there a portable version of MBAM?: I would prefer a portable version, but if I have to, I'll download the .exe version of MalwareBytes. Just don't want anything sideloaded when I install. 163854
  4. MBAM free trial and Defender

MBAM free trial and Defender: I think when the trial ends I should uninstall MBAM if I don't want to pay so Defender will work well. Is there a free alternative to MBAM free if this is the case? 158485
  5. MBAM free trial and Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBAM free trial and Defender: I think when the trial ends I should uninstall MBAM if I don't want to pay so Defender will work well. Is there a free alternative to MBAM free if this is the case? 158485
  6. I noticed MBAM has infiltrated Defender

I noticed MBAM has infiltrated Defender: I noticed MBAM has infiltrated Defender. I did the following and hope it is correct. Open MBAM>settings>application>scroll to Action center where there are 3 choices and chose the middle one - never register MBAM in Window Action Center. 136138
  7. MBAM and Defender

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MBAM and Defender: I noticed MBAM has infiltrated Defender. I did the following and hope it is correct. Open MBAM>settings>application>scroll to Action center where there are 3 choices and chose the middle one - never register MBAM in Window Action Center. 136138
  8. Alternative for MBAM?

Alternative for MBAM?: So I've been running MBAM Free for quite some time, but lately I had a lot of issues on the Insider Preview builds. MBAM kept giving BSOD when trying to scan. And the new MBAV 3.0 gave me BSOD when using uTorrent. Is there any piece of software you'd recommend as a...
  9. Mbam Free

Mbam Free: New Version MBAM Free released.....Version 3.3.1.2183 100897
  10. Mbam...free or premium?

Mbam...free or premium?: I have Malwarebytes Premium v. on my laptop for which I pay $25 per year. I just got a new Lenovo desktop w/the i5, 8G ram and 1T hard drive and wish to protect my new PC with their great product. My question: Is the paid version worth paying for? I had the free v. on my old...