Windows 10: Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what?

Discus and support Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, about 10 days or so ago I noticed the Defender tray icon had started to show a red x - 'Actions Needed'. [img] Clicking on that opens the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dalchina, Nov 7, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what?

Hi, about 10 days or so ago I noticed the Defender tray icon had started to show a red x - 'Actions Needed'.

Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what? [​IMG]

Clicking on that opens the background window, and clicking on 'View Antivirus Providers' which seems to offer the only apparent reason for the red x gives the foreground window, which has nothing to do with AV providers.

There's nothing untoward if I expand the dropdowns.
    I use Avast and have SecureAplus (no real time scan) installed.

I feel I'm missing something obvious, but can't think what it is....

Any ideas? Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017

2. Windows Defender The threat service has stopped. Restart it now.

Wow yes changed existing key to 0 from 1. Didn't need to reboot. Just hit the red x Virus & threat protection in the Center dashboard & quickly it when from red to green check mark. No action needed. Now all are green checks, except Family options.

Still have Malwarebytes installed. Did use setting in it to Never register w/ Windows Action Center if that was any help (didn't help until doing regedit change).

Now to see if can make Defender's initial dashboard stop opening every fresh boot.

Maybe can now that this is all greens.

sludgehound, Nov 7, 2017
  3. LadyDay62 Win User
    Windows Defender Verizon Internet Security Suite and Firewall

Today my free Verizon Internet Security suite ran out. I turned on Windows Defender. A notification about virus protection appeared in action center. A red circle with a white x in center of it with the words virus protection. My firewall is not not on.
    A popular keeps popping up with an x and virus protection.

What should I do. I'm afraid to use the computer.

LadyDay62, Nov 7, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

What happens, if you click on Device performance and health (in Defender home)?

AndreTen, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    You could try running perfmon /report(from cmd, or run, or even File Explorer address bar) and see if it gives you any clues.
    and Cortana:

Cliff S, Nov 7, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    I've got that red cross once. The culprit was health department - one device wasn't properly installed. That's why I asked what shows Health icon.

AndreTen, Nov 7, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    All ok, thanks.

Unable to run perfmon
    - either timeout or
    The Data Collector Set or one of its dependencies is already in use.
    - a common issue..

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Fixed itself... I had an unexpected action centre notification about something it didn't like, cleaned it, and back to green is good again. *Smile

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017
  9. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what? - Similar Threads - Defender red Taskbar

2. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this red X mean?: I'm getting message that Onedrive is 102% full. And then I went to desktop and there are red X's next to folders. What does the red X mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-red-x-mean/f7a2e311-38f9-4fde-adc9-9a0db4a46c2e
  3. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this red X mean?: I'm getting message that Onedrive is 102% full. And then I went to desktop and there are red X's next to folders. What does the red X mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-red-x-mean/f7a2e311-38f9-4fde-adc9-9a0db4a46c2e
  4. red x

in Windows 10 Gaming
    red x: Why do i get a red x when i am trying to burn a cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x/c67ee4e9-270c-4cbe-bf37-43d6726c79d3
  5. red x

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    red x: Why do i get a red x when i am trying to burn a cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x/c67ee4e9-270c-4cbe-bf37-43d6726c79d3
  6. Red x

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red x: I have a red x on applications on my desktop how dp I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x/e34d33a4-3abb-436f-b62c-3428c362e2d8
  7. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does this red X mean?: I just did a Clean Install and restored some files and folders from my data drive. This is first time I've ever seen these red Xs and don't know what they indicate. I also see them in File Explorer. Thank you. 165396
  8. red x

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    red x: I have a red x though my live messenger how do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x/ccfafb8d-1b43-4260-be00-12bfa5b1aad7
  9. Firewall & network protection - Action needed in Kaspersky Anti-Virus (red X)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall & network protection - Action needed in Kaspersky Anti-Virus (red X): Hello, I own my laptop for almost 2 years and for the beginning I think I encountered this problem and kinda had enough of it. So I have my Kaspersky Anti-Virus installed and it does a good job at protecting me, but the problem is with this "error": [ATTACH] And if I...
  10. RED X

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RED X: Just got a new computer and there is a red x next to desktop, pictures ...how do I get rid of it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x/76bfe88e-f667-4d00-b796-7fa0fb112fdd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender getting a red x icon on taskbar

2. device health in dashboard is ok. but taskbar says issues

3. windows defender red cross

4. windows defender showing red cross,
  5. windows defender notification with red x,
  6. windows 10 defender showing red actions needed,
  7. windows defender icon has red x,
  8. red x next to windows defender icon taskbar,
  9. why is there a red x on my defender icon on the desktop,
  10. defender icon red,
  11. actions needed icon,