Windows 10: Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch

Discus and support Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; (I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this.) After updating 3 systems with Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (1709) Windows Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RPmtl, Nov 9, 2017.

1. RPmtl Win User

Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch

(I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this.)

After updating 3 systems with Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (1709) Windows Defender Security Center displays whenever Windows launches at bootup and I then have to close the interface. Previously it would be closed unless I open it. Is this now considered normal?

The behavior has stopped on 2 of the 3 computers I updated and I'm not sure if I poked at a setting when I was looking for a "do not display at startup" option. Or perhaps it stops after a certain number of re-boots. The fact that it happened on every system I've updated to this build makes me assume others are seeing the same thing.

Is there an option to make it not appear when the computer boots?

:)

RPmtl, Nov 9, 2017

2. Windows defender wont stay on - problem started 2 weeks ago after latest updates

@Claudia Cabrejos -

If you haven't already - can you try executing the following command (from an elevated command prompt) : "%programfiles%\windows defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -wdenable

If this doesn't work - do let me know what 'Virus Protection' is displayed in the 'Security' section of Security Center.
    Windows Defender will not launch if there is a 3rd party registered.

Thx,

CJ.Eichholz (MSFT) - Microsoft Antimalware

CJ. Eichholz [MSFT], Nov 9, 2017
  3. Computer updated at some point overnight last night (12/30/15-12/31/15) and Windows Defender will not turn on anymore

I did the elevated command prompt: "%programfiles%\windows defender\MpCmdRun.exe". did not fix.

If this doesn't work - do let me know what 'Virus Protection' is displayed in the 'Security' section of Security Center. Windows
    Defender will not launch if there is a 3rd party registered. I'm not sure where this is. i just removed malwarebytes which has never created a problem in the past.

GarySkelton, Nov 9, 2017
  4. torre Win User

- When you open Windows Defender Security Center, are all items checked green ?

- Did you update with a normal update download or with an iso created by the Windows Media Creation Tool ? If by the creation tool, possible corrupted download.

- Run sfc/scannow for corrupted files check. Run SFC Command in Windows 10

torre, Nov 10, 2017
  5. PC Pilot Win User
    Hi RPmtl and torre,

Sorry that I cannot offer a resolution but I can at least confirm that I have experienced the very same effect as the OP. To answer torre's question so far as my system build is concerned I can confirm:

1. All Windows Defender Security Centre items are checked Green.

2. 1709 Creator's Fall Update installed as a Clean Install. UEFI ISO created with Rufus (Windows Media Creation Tool used to download the original ISO) using a slipstreamed image (adapted with NT Lite to incorporate Samsung NVMe drivers to Boot.wim) created from the MS original.

3. No corrupted files identified....

Any other thoughts guys??

Thanks

PC Pilot, Nov 10, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    Random ideas:

- Check for errors in the Event Viewer (ControlPanel/System/Admin Tools/Event Viewer)

- If you have not, do a full scan with WD.

- Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

Turn WD off/on.

- Microsoft Community

Check the MSN community forum.

- Consider reinstalling. Perhaps this is an error that will be addressed in a later update.

torre, Nov 10, 2017
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Probably a long shot, but check the following ...

1. Task Scheduler - See if you see any Defender related task with a Run at Logon or Run at Startup triggers in the following locations.
    a. Task Scheduler Library - Usually there are no default Defender related task here
    b. Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender - Usually there are 4 default task here

3. Look in the C:\Windows\Tasks folder to see if you see anything unusual (Usually the only thing there is SA.DAT)

4 . Use Sysinternals autoruns to see if you can track it down - Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Eagle51, Nov 10, 2017
  8. RPmtl Win User

All's green here too. I'll check the Task Scheduler but I really doubt there's anything there as the 3 systems I updated exhibited the same thing when the update was first done and the system booted for the first time. Following that my laptop has stopped doing it whereas my desktop stopped for a couple of days and today it did it again. I'll have a peek at the 3d system later today as it's not used often.

It's no big deal to just close the interface. It's just curious behaviour that's never occurred previously. It's good to hear that others have experienced it as well as that would suggest it's a new MS 'feature' ;-)

RPmtl, Nov 11, 2017
  9. RPmtl Win User
    Of the 3 systems I upgraded only one continues to display the Defender Control Center at boot up. When I get some time I'll do some of the recommended checks and remedies to see if it makes a difference or identifies the cause.

RPmtl, Nov 18, 2017
  10. RPmtl Win User
    I did a check in the Task Scheduler and there's nothing suspicious in there. Ran system file check (DISM.exe and sfc /scannow) which found no errors nor integrity violations. Stopped and restarted Defender. The only defender item that lacks a green check mark is the 'Family options' that I'm not interested in configuring and enabling.

I'll look closer but it seems that all the settings are identical to the other 2 updated systems which do not display the Windows Defender Security Center when Windows launches.

RPmtl, Nov 19, 2017
  11. RPmtl Win User
    There is a Windows Defender User Interface entry in the Startup (Task Manager -> Startup) that I simply set to Disabled and that stopped it from popping up every time Windows 10 loaded.

Can't remember if that was there before the Fall Update. But all's well now *Smile

RPmtl, Nov 23, 2017
  12. bIOforger Win User
    Isn't this same for everyone using 1709? I get it too, stopped as above by disabling it in the startup items.

bIOforger, Dec 21, 2017
  13. RPmtl Win User

Might be a 'new feature' as I just had an old system running Win10 finally get the update and it too did the same thing. Just came back to this thread as I forgot how I got it to stop ;-)

RPmtl, Jan 19, 2018
  14. dobbelina Win User
    I also have the Defender Security Center display at Windows launch.
    However, i suspect it's because i have a scheduled task to automatically
    update defender at boot.
    Previous to Creator's Update (1709) this was a hidden task, as i use the
    -hide switch in the command.
    But not after updating to Creator's Update (1709).
    The remedy for this is to add an additional action to the update task.
    Another bonus is that it doesn't kill the tray icon, (Unless you wanna disable it in startup).

Here's how you make the task:
    Trigger: At logon
    Action 1 Start a program, Program/scipt: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"
    Arguments: -Update -Hide

Action 2 Start a program, Program/scipt: TASKKILL
    Arguments: /im SecHealthUI.exe /f

Obsolete, no longer works.
    I posted the solution in another thread, as it doesn't belong in this topic, here:
    Defender Update Signatures at Windows launch Hidden

dobbelina, Feb 21, 2018
  15. Porthos Win User
    It is a hold over from when the Defender Icon did not display by default. Many including myself added a reg entry to show in task bar and now it is not needed because of the security center in 1709.

Porthos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch - Similar Threads - Defender Security Center

2. Windows Defender Security Center

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Security Center: My Windows Defender Security Center is not working. There are no options like virus & threat protection and others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-security-center/2f1968ec-0098-4aae-b4c5-ef25f94f5cc6"
  3. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Hi, Every time I connect to VPN(Client Network) from My personal laptop I get windows defender security center popup- Its shows all as green but yet it continuously pop up. I can not type a mail or do anything else. It happens only when VPN connection is done. I tried to...
  4. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I have a problem with access to Windows Defender settings. I am not able to turn application and file checking on. It says that in order to change the setting I have to be an administrator but I am already an administrator. I am sorry for this being written in Croatian. I...
  5. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I keep getting notification that threats has been found, "Windows anti virus protection found threats. Get details. When I click on the message or manual open the defender center I get the message there are no current threats and the center is locked up. I have rebooted...
  6. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: The taskbar Show Hidden Icons shows the Windows Defender Security Center icon with a yellow exclamation symbol and says Actions recommended. But when I launch the tool everything shows green. What action is recommended? How do I fix this? I am using Windows 10 Home 64-bit....
  7. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Under Virus & Threat protection I click on learn more and it then goes to sign in. When I try to sign it tell me This doesn't look like a work or school email. You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead This is a personal...
  8. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: When I boot my system (Windows 10 Home Ed.) "Windows Defender Security Center" always pops up windowed (not minimised). is this normal (I can't remember that it was always like this) and can I do something about it so that it starts minimised ? 112234
  9. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Since the Fall update 1709 the Windows Defender Security starts up NOT longer minimised but windowed. I don't see how I can change this so that Defender starts up minimized as it used to. Windows Defender start up through the register entry: Registry -> User Run...
  10. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: When booting my Window 10 (Home Edition) the "Windows Defender Security Center" program starts no longer minimized as it used to be. I don't know what caused this or what can I do about this. I know this isn't a big deal but it some could help me remedy this I would be most...