Windows 10: Defender Update Signatures at Windows launch Hidden

Discus and support Defender Update Signatures at Windows launch Hidden in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all! Before Creator's Update (1709) i had a simple command line to update Defender signatures at boot with task scheduler. And that was an all... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dobbelina, Feb 23, 2018.

1. dobbelina Win User

Defender Update Signatures at Windows launch Hidden

Hi all!

Before Creator's Update (1709) i had a simple command line to update Defender signatures at boot
    with task scheduler. And that was an all hidden task.
    The reason for this is because I've set Windows into notification mode for updates, and it's
    annoying to be notified of Defender signatures shortly after launch.
    However, that old command line no longer works with Creator's Update, and i had a hard time
    finding a solution without the ugly cmd window pop up.
    But here's a trick to execute powershell.exe in a hidden state, hence it's a clean background task.
    How:
    Create a folder named scripts under the C: drive, (C:\Scripts)
    Inside that folder create a textfile and name it Defender.ps1
    Input only this one-liner into that textfile and save:
    Code: Update-MpSignature[/quote] Inside the same folder create another textfile and name it Defender.js
    Input this into that textfile and save:
    Code: var wshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell"); wshShell.Run('%SystemRoot%\\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "C:\\Scripts\\Defender.ps1"', 0, false);[/quote] Now create a task in task scheduler with these settings:
    Trigger: At logon
    Action Start a program, Program/scipt: wscript
    Arguments: "C:\Scripts\Defender.js"

The reason this works is because wscript is not a console program.
    Voil done! *Wink

:)

dobbelina, Feb 23, 2018
  2. redtailed Win User

Error 0x80070643 Windows 10 defender fails to update KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.1711.0)

Can anybody help. Here are the repeated failures:

Windows Defender has encountered an error trying to update signatures.

New Signature Version:

Previous Signature Version: 1.203.1578.0

Update Source: Microsoft Update Server

Signature Type: AntiVirus

Update Type: Full

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Current Engine Version:

Previous Engine Version: 1.1.11903.0

Error code: 0x80070643

Error description: Fatal error during installation.

This was Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.1711.0) - Error 0x80070643

Here is the last successful operation in the defenders event viewer log:

Windows Defender used Dynamic Signature Service to retrieve additional signatures to help protect your machine.

Current Signature Version: 1.203.1578.0

Signature Type: AntiVirus

User: \

Current Engine Version: 1.1.11903.0

Dynamic Signature Type: Signature update

Persistence Path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\RtSigs\data\b54ffcadfd8458e4a71d9943771cb8b0b02c7902

Dynamic Signature Version: 0.0.0.0

Dynamic Signature Compilation Timestamp: ‎1/‎1/‎1601 12:02:23 AM

Persistence Limit Type: Duration

Persistence Limit: 216000000

[Moved from Windows]

redtailed, Feb 23, 2018
  3. Error 0x80070643 Windows 10 defender fails to update KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.1711.0)

what can I do to update?

lindaschieszer, Feb 23, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Thanks- looks really handy- I've been annoyed by exactly that but not got around to thinking how to deal with it.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender Update Signatures at Windows launch Hidden - Similar Threads - Defender Update Signatures

2. Windows Defender Signature Updates not working automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Signature Updates not working automatically: hello,i have an issue with Defender signature updates. We have a Win10 Enterprise LTSC Client 21H2 which is connected to an internal WSUS-Server above GPO.The problem is, that the signature updates doesnt work automatically. Manually starting the defender updates work.Also...
  3. Windows Defender Signature Updates not working automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Signature Updates not working automatically: hello,i have an issue with Defender signature updates. We have a Win10 Enterprise LTSC Client 21H2 which is connected to an internal WSUS-Server above GPO.The problem is, that the signature updates doesnt work automatically. Manually starting the defender updates work.Also...
  4. Windows Defender Signature Updates not working automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...: It was announced that there would be no Windows updates, but there was no mention of Windows Defender in Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-81-continue-to-receive-windows/85edc995-e4a4-487e-a9d0-e95262d362da
  6. Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...

Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...: It was announced that there would be no Windows updates, but there was no mention of Windows Defender in Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-81-continue-to-receive-windows/85edc995-e4a4-487e-a9d0-e95262d362da
  7. Windows 11 Defender app not launching

Windows 11 Defender app not launching: Windows defender worked fine with my windows 10, after upgrading to windows 11, defender app does not launch. I double click the icon and nothing happens....
  8. Defender Antivirus & Antispyware signature download

Defender Antivirus & Antispyware signature download: Windows defender is disabled and not used because we are using McAfee. Nessus vulnerability scanner still flags out of date signature files for Defender even though it's not used. Anyone know where you can manually download Windows Defender Antivirus and Antispyware...
  9. Windows Defender becomes a hidden icon and stays

Windows Defender becomes a hidden icon and stays: I have Windows Defender set to not show on the taskbar and it normally doesn't show in any form however when I launch the program or do a scan, the "show hidden icon" arrow will appear on the taskbar and if I click it, the Windows defender icon is there. Once I'm done with...
  10. Windows Defender Scan on launch application

Windows Defender Scan on launch application: Hi, so lately i've found that when launching a application windows defender does a full scan of all its files etc, not sure if this is exactly normal but when running apps with multiple files eg photoshop with presets fonts etc, it scans them all which not only makes it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dynamic Signature Service to retrieve additional signatures