Windows 10: Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download

Discus and support Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Ive read through the forum on how to turn off defender and tried what was available. When I did both methods to go in the back end and turn it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Soupsamich, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download

Hello, Ive read through the forum on how to turn off defender and tried what was available. When I did both methods to go in the back end and turn it off, it gave me script errors. I show that "Turn Defender Off" is enabled, but it still blocks everything. The message is something like "Defender will not allow this app to download". I cant download Chrome, Norton or really anything at all. This was a computer fresh reboot and new windows 10 Pro install with no other files on the computer.

Has anyone seen this problem?

:)

Soupsamich, Nov 20, 2017
  2. John647NT Win User

Windows Defender turned off and will not turn on

My Windows Defender turned itself off out of no where. I have no other AV on this computer. It says the time expired and I've tried troubleshooting this without success.

John647NT, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Windows defender turned off and will not turn back on and times out

How to ask questions in a computer help forum: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

See if the following “generic response” may be applicable to this issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

On Windows 8.1/10 when a third party antimalware program (such as McAfee, Norton, etc) is installed the Windows Defender (WD) program is disabled.

If you wish to use WD on Win 8.1/10 you should ensure that any third party antimalware program that may be on the computer (or was previously on the computer before it was upgraded to Win 10) has
    been uninstalled. It is recommended that you also run the appropriate software removal tool for the third party program(s) and then reboot the computer. See List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

WD should then be enabled though you might need to restart WD in Action Center.

For further information see Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

See How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10
    Good article but ignore the ads!

And see Configure
    Windows Defender in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

If you cannot resolve the issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Good luck…

Le Boule, Nov 20, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download

" "Defender will not allow this app to download""

Check your Smart screen settings. Settings/Update & Security/Windows Defender/Windows Defender Security Center/App & browser control

Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download [​IMG]

mrgeek, Nov 20, 2017
  5. Thanks for the response.

Everything in that App screen is turned Off.

Soupsamich, Nov 20, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Nov 20, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    " The message is something like "Defender will not allow this app to download". I cant download Chrome, Norton or really anything at all."

Can you post a screen shot when this message appears. I'm presuming you're talking about downloads from the web vs Store.

mrgeek, Nov 20, 2017
  8. torre Win User

This was a computer fresh reboot and new windows 10 Pro install with no other files on the computer.

- Was the install downloaded direct from the Microsoft site ? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

- Have updates been installed ?

- Recommend a scan with Defender (if possible) and a 3rd party AV like Malwarebytes. If you can't download MB, try an online scan like ESET.

- Also, may run sfc/scannow for corrupt files. Run SFC Command in Windows 10

torre, Nov 20, 2017
  9. Download was direct from Microsoft website, but somehow was corrupt? Tech support took control of the computer and downloaded directly to a flash drive. That worked perfect. Back in business. Thanks for the feedback!

Soupsamich, Nov 21, 2017
  10. emailx45 Win User
    my tip to Shutdown WinDefender forever is

use GPEDIT.MSC and filter by DEFENDER and DISABLE all references its ready!

WinDefender go away my Windows

emailx45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defender will not turn off and will not let anything download - Similar Threads - Defender turn off

2. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  3. Microsoft Defender Turned off.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Turned off.: Microsoft defender turned off.When turning it on a message is appearing "Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now", but when restarting a dialog box is appearing "Unexpected error. Sorry we ran into a problem. Please try again."Now there's a Windows Security update, after...
  4. windows defender turned off

windows defender turned off: my windows defender got completly turned off by a virus and i need help turning it back on[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turned-off/1ace7038-f611-4e3d-a190-a6a133ce76df
  5. Windows Defender turning off.

Windows Defender turning off.: I have Malwarebytes Premium and I use Windows Defender as a primary scanner, but whenever i update or restart, it turns itself off and i have to turn it back on. Is this normal or something?...
  6. turning off windows defender

turning off windows defender: [ATTACH]i need help because i'm not sure,if i turned off my windows defender will these threats comeback and be allowed? the other 3 at the top are removed or restored so please help....
  7. Not letting me download anything!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not letting me download anything!!!: Im just trying to reset my computer and it says i need to clear up space. Anything i try to uninstall or delete says it cannot find the file. It wont let me download ANYTHING or uninstall anything. It tells me to save then as soon as i hit run the error message pops up. Never...
  8. window defender turned off

window defender turned off: my window defender on win 10 pro is turned off and i am unable to turn on. system asks to turn on connect network administrator. and defender is turned off due to group policy etc....
  9. win defender is turned off

win defender is turned off: i noticed win defender is turned off. although i have avast anti virus, should i turn it back on?*Shock 92839
  10. turn off defender

turn off defender: under settings windows defender does not give option to turn off, can someone help, also webroot paid version is running, will they conflict 88943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender wont let me download anything onto my laptop