Windows 10: Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Discus and support Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro. I noticed the box 'Defer feature updates' is now greyed out after this week's update - see my screenshot. Is this a bug and how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steve C, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

I have Windows 10 Pro. I noticed the box 'Defer feature updates' is now greyed out after this week's update - see my screenshot. Is this a bug and how do I restore the functionality since I want to be in control of when major updates are installed?

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update? [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Mar 16, 2017

2. Can I Defer Automatic Updates on the Windows 10 Home Edition?

There are other "PC environments." I just recently went to the latest Linux Mint, and never looked back.

I have absolutely EVERYTHING I need there, including full control over updates.

It's graphical and very windows-like. 4 years ago, Mint was a bit too unstable; but now, after a year with the latest 2 versions, it is rock solid and has many native drivers built in. I can even run MS Office, if need be via Wine or other means; or just
    use O365 - works great. We are no longer "bound" to Microsoft - remember that. I love Microsoft for many of their tools and features; but for my personal workstation, I choose Linux Mint (and Linux Ubuntu also is an excellent alternative).

NOTE: "Deferring" updates does NOT 'defer' any security updates - and I believe even home users (as well as office users) need control at least to defer - YES - even SECURITY updates. I've seen cases where there's an "emergency" update - and they have to
    patch everyone to prevent things like Wannacry, but for 99.99% of the cases, deferring until after hours should be allowed - again, YES, even for security updates.

The "Defer updates" button only defers "new feature updates." it doesn't defer security or other important updates at all.

JeffisHere, Mar 16, 2017
  3. defer feature updates

Thank you for the update.

We hope that you enjoy the new Windows Creators Update. The reason why it downloaded the updates, because the tick box was unchecked. It works the other way around.

We're just here you need further assistance.

Haidae Tam, Mar 16, 2017
  4. tcebob Win User

Apparently, "defer" does not refer to postponing updates to a more convenient time. Microsoft's explanation:

• "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."
    I had it turned on and wondered why no update had been done for over a month. It finally happened in mid afternoon when I stepped away for a break, and l had to wait quite a while to get back to work.

The best you can do is set Active Hours, which will postpone updates until a better time of day. Active Hours is a maximum of 12 hours. I've set mine to 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Sleep mode won't stop it. But I don't think MS has a way to turn on your computer.

tcebob, Mar 17, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    I used to have Defer updates turned on and it blocked the Anniversary Update for a while which is what I wanted. I'm mystified why the option is now greyed out. I'm going to try uninstalling some of this week's updates to see if that is the problem

Steve C, Mar 17, 2017
  6. Not greyed out for me, Windows 10 Education, 1607, 14393,953. Windows update shows "Your device is up to date".

alphanumeric, Mar 17, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    You can turn it on and off by setting DeferUpgrade to 1 or 0 here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Don't know whey it is greyed out though.

In 15061 this option is gone it seems - you can pause for 7 days and that is it.

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update? [​IMG]

8. Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

The best option is to disable auto-checking for updates and use WUMiniTool to download, what you want.

Code: schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" "Schedule Scan.bak" md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak" md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Mar 17, 2017
  9. "Best" for you doesn't necessarily mean best for everybody. *Wink

10. Steve C Win User
    I've had no success fixing this issue by removing this week's updates. I removed KB3150513 but that didn't fix the problem. Cumulative update KB4013429 gave an error on uninstallation so I couldn't remove it and KB40134218 appears to have no uninstall option.

Steve C, Mar 17, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I tried setting DeferUpgrade to both 1 and 0 but the "Defer feature updates" box remains greyed out and unticked. I guess this won't be an issue from 15061.

Steve C, Mar 17, 2017
  12. On a side note, judging by that screen shot, Microsoft is listening to complaints of forced updates screwing up our PC's. 7 days should be more than long enough for a glitch in updates to be discovered and pulled and or fixed. Assuming everybody on the planet doesn't turn that delay on lol. *Wink

13. Steve C Win User

I have no idea what happened but after more fiddling about with some of the suggestions above, my Defer updates function is now restored!

Steve C, Mar 19, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    It's 'Defer', not 'postpone indefinitely'. Once the Anniversary Update became 'Current Branch for Business' it could no longer be deferred. The Defer option will now apply to the Creators Update (due shortly), but only until that too becomes CBB.

Thema:

1. Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update? - Similar Threads - Defer Feature Updates

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.: Hello everybody, since version 1903, feature updates should no longer be installed automatically, instead they should be offered as optional updates. This works so far, but only if the option to defer updates regardless of whether feature or security updates is not used. If...
  6. Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year: According to this page Windows 10, version 1809 transitioned to broad deployment (Semi-Annual Channel) on 28th March 2019. I am currently running Windows 10, version 1803 with feature updates deferred by 365 days on one of my computers. This means I shall receive a feature...
  7. deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?

deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?: W10 Pro v1903 I upgraded to v1903 some week ago, and in the delivery settings I selected -as usual- postpone time for further updates/upgrades as long as possible (365 days, resp 35 days). Therefore I was surprised that yesterday an automatic update was taking place. That...
  8. Deferring Updates

Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  9. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...
  10. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10: How to: Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 How to Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 The Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features wont...