Windows 10: Deferring updates does not work.

Discus and support Deferring updates does not work. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm having some real problems with KB3176493 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems. After the update one of my disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by norman, Aug 10, 2016.

1. norman Win User

Deferring updates does not work.

I'm having some real problems with KB3176493 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems. After the update one of my disk drives disappears. The disk (D*Smile is my main data drive. C: is purely for Windows and applications. Both C: and D: are two disk RAID arrays running from the same RAID controller on the Dell motherboard.

If I uninstall the update all is well again. I've tried deferring updates but it downloads and wants to install at next shutdown. Next day I uninstall but on closing down it wants to update again. There seems to be no way to tell it not to perform the update, at least until I've cured the problem.

Any advice gladly received.

:)

norman, Aug 10, 2016

2. windows 10, 1703 update issue

is there a way, I can defer this update so that it does not keep coming every few days?

I have already selected defer updates, but it does not work.

Nitin1Gupta, Aug 10, 2016
  3. windows 10, 1703 update issue

is there a way, I can defer this update so that it does not keep coming every few days?

I have already selected defer updates, but it does not work.

Nitin1Gupta, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Deferring updates does not work.

It's "Defer feature updates" not defer updates. In older builds I think it said Defer upgrades? It doesn't stop regular Windows updates. Click the blue "Learn More"

Defer upgrades in Windows 10

• Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2016
  5. Forgot to mention, I don't have a solution for the update messing up your RAID array.

alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2016
  6. norman Win User
    After posting I found this and applied the option Never_Notify_or_Check_for_Updates.reg I then went in to Settings/Update and saw that there was a flag saying "Some settings are managed by your organisation".

I then restarted and was again informed that updates would be installed and restarted. That message was there before anyway so I went ahead with the restart. Sure enough the D: drive had disappeared so uninstalled the update. After restarting again all was well. At the moment the Power options are not telling me that there is an update ready for install so keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back.

Now I need to quickly find the reason that KB3176493 is screwing up my PC.

norman, Aug 10, 2016
  7. Thing is though, can you update manually if you want to? And can you pick and chose what updates get installed?

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2016
  8. norman Win User

It seems you can't choose what to install, just "Install now".

Deferring updates does not work. [​IMG]

If you click on "Details" it shows the KB3176493 is waiting to download but the Defender definitions are waiting for install

norman, Aug 11, 2016
  9. So now your not going to be getting Defender updates? Its all or non? I'm not criticizing what you did by the way, just looking for more info for any future threads like this. I personally don't like the forced updates, especially driver updates.

10. What happens if you click the blue "waiting to install" under the defender update?

11. norman Win User
    I'm frightened to do it in case it starts downloading the cumulative update. *Smile

I'm getting ready to do a clean install of the AU once I've got Macrium images of both my C: and D: drives. The in place upgrade doesn't work on my system (see separate thread post #165).

[Edit] Just realised you had contributed to my query. *chuckle

norman, Aug 11, 2016
  12. If the current install (1511) is activated with a Digital License, you can clean install 1607 and it will activate with that DL. Just click I do not have a product key when prompted to enter one. If your current install is Pro, install Pro.

13. norman Win User

That's the plan. Just not looking forward to re-installing all my software. I did it a week or so ago after a clean install of 1511 trying to cure the cumulative update problem doing a disappearing act on my D: drive.

Here's the list I made before doing that last week. *Sick

norman, Aug 11, 2016
  14. I'll have to write down that activation code.......... Just kidding lol.

15. norman Win User
    That's actually a homegroup password. *Smile

norman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Deferring updates does not work. - Similar Threads - Deferring updates does

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. About deferring updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    About deferring updates: Hey, I recently activated activated the "defer updates" feature but, I was wondering if I enable option 2 in automatic updates through group policy wich will only notify me. Will I download the latest updates regardless of the time range I set to defer the updates if I update...
  5. I'm on 1909 and I'm wondering if I defer updates does that also defer Defender definitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm on 1909 and I'm wondering if I defer updates does that also defer Defender definitions?: Because if it does then I don't want to defer them then. submitted by /u/ctilvolover23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8my2y/im_on_1909_and_im_wondering_if_i_defer_updates/
  6. WUFB Deferred Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WUFB Deferred Updates: Hi I hope someone can help me, I have rolled out WUFB and as most companies we deferred the Updates in different Deployments Rings. Just so I know what will be installed on client devices is there a method to show all the Updates that will be installed on the local...
  7. Defer Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Windows Updates: What's the current suggested length of time to defer updates on Windows 10 Pro -- -- feature updates? -- quality updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defer-windows-updates/2f3fc815-d936-4d75-a3bb-b77513deb6f3
  8. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  9. Reverse Defer Updates

Reverse Defer Updates: I have seen a lot of threads regarding the "Defer Updates" feature in Windows 10 Pro. After activating this feature by checking the Defer Update box, is there a way to to reverse "Defer Updates" and start receiving all updates again? 40652
  10. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...