Windows 10: Deferring Upgrades Question

Discus and support Deferring Upgrades Question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In Windows Update > Advanced Options > there used to be an option to "Defer Upgrades" , but it is gone now. Any idea where it went? On the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TV2, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Deferring Upgrades Question

In Windows Update > Advanced Options > there used to be an option to "Defer Upgrades" , but it is gone now.
    Any idea where it went?

On the option to "Defer Upgrades":

I would rather defer any build upgrade until a time that I can supervise the install, and I don't want any other updates being installed at the same time. So this seems like a good option for me.

My question is: assuming I know (most likely from this forum) that an upgrade is ready, can I just uncheck the defer box when I am ready to install, or will there be some kind of delay in getting it?
    (It's that blurb about maybe waiting x months that confuses me)

:)

2. Linney Win User

deferring upgrades

See, Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool. You can download it any time you wish.

Download Windows 10

Download Windows 10

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows

NetLimiter

set hours for interbet windows 8 - Recherche Google

Metered Internet connections: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Keep your kids safer on the PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/family-safety

Linney, Jan 23, 2016
  3. TonyaSing Win User
    deferring upgrades

I have limited internet time and am only allowed to download during free time (midnight to 5am). How can I be sure windows 10 doesn't download automatically during the day?

TonyaSing, Jan 23, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Defer Upgrades option is available ONLY for Win 10 Pro and Enterprise version, or Education edition.
    Not applicable to Home version.
    Sorry.

Adding ...................... “Defer upgrades” will delay only feature upgrades. You’ll still get security updates automatically.

davidhk, Jan 23, 2016
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Well that is really interesting. Because it was there on initial setup. Now it is gone.

I wonder what option I chose?

6. davidhk Win User
    1. Before Win 10, did you have Win 7 Home or Win 8/8.1( non-pro version ) ?
    2. Did you at one point install Insider Preview Win 10 Pro ?
    3. Did you then decide to opt out of Insider program and install Win 10 RTM ?

davidhk, Jan 23, 2016
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    1. Before Win 10, did you have Win 7 Home or Win 8/8.1( non-pro version ) ?
    Win 7 Home

2. Did you at one point install Insider Preview Win 10 Pro ?
    Negative

3. Did you then decide to opt out of Insider program and install Win 10 RTM ?
    N/A - Negative

I noticed this and other oddities in the two upgrade installs I did this weekend and last.
    Advanced features appearing immediately after install and then disappearing sometime afterward.
    I was not paying much attention the first time (other than "hey wait a minute" moments. I was paying closer attention this time.

8. davidhk Win User

I have no idea what had happened during or after your install of Win 10.

The fact remains......... Defer Upgrades Option not applicable to Win 10 Home.

davidhk, Jan 23, 2016
  9. You can block updates in Home with firewall/HOSTS by blocking update servers.
    Disabling some services and tasks might do as well, but it is not quite reliable.
    Do not forget to subscribe to updates afterwards: Microsoft Security Bulletin

TairikuOkami, Jan 23, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I am using Services to control Updates. Very clunky and inconvenient. But given no control and no choice it is what I have to do.

Thema:

1. Deferring Upgrades Question - Similar Threads - Deferring Upgrades Question

2. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  3. Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?

Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?: So, I have Windows 10 Pro now after I couldn't stand the constant updates that ended up often making my computer worse, but even with "Defer Upgrades," I'm still forced to pick a time to download within the next few days. I was under the impression I could at least wait a few...
  4. Defer upgrades greyed out; how to set it back?

Defer upgrades greyed out; how to set it back?: Hi, Using Windows 10 Pro My defer upgrades option is turned on, but set greyed out. How can I change it again? The registry key is ok (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html) And this (Help with defer upgrade setting on Windows 10 Pro) didn't help...
  5. Help with defer upgrade setting on Windows 10 Pro

Help with defer upgrade setting on Windows 10 Pro: Hey guys, How can I re-enable this checkbox? I haven't been able to find any info on getting the checkbox re-enabled in 10 pro. [img] 35832
  6. Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades

Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades: I was trying to update to anniversary update but it's not updating until i checked the defer upgrade the update works now, so why is it defer upgrades worked opposite? 94358
  7. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...
  8. Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?

Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?: I reinstalled windows 10 fresh because I upgraded my Dell 3147 from a slow 5400 rpm HD to a faster 8gb 5400 rpm SSHD ( yes its faster for sure) Anyway I went to Windows update and now found "Defer Upgrades" will this stop the driver updates for a while? How long if it...
  9. Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option

Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option: Hi In the "Advanced options" of "Windows Update" there is the "Defer upgrades" option. If I select, what happens? Thanks Bye 8161
  10. Upgrade Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Question: I have two identical HP Elite desktop 800 PC's one has Windows 10 installed. I also have a recovery drive canI use that recovery drive to install Windows 10 on the other PC? 31052