Windows 10: Defining groups in the Start menu

Discus and support Defining groups in the Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In W8.1 it was possible to define groups of tiles with titles for each group on the start screen. Has anybody figured ot how to do that in the W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Apr 7, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Defining groups in the Start menu

In W8.1 it was possible to define groups of tiles with titles for each group on the start screen. Has anybody figured ot how to do that in the W10 start menu.

:)

2. Jim.Low Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Problems

All the steps have been attempted.

For me, the real issue is NOT being able to pin an application to the Start Menu (Win 10 Build 1607), it is being able to move it from an undefined group to a defined group. When pinned, the application is placed in an unnamed group.

For me, I only have two groups named.

It resizes w/o issue.

This only started after release update to 1607.

Jim

Jim.Low, Apr 7, 2015
  3. armzilla Win User
    E61i impressions and questions

Thorbjorn,

To answer your network specific outgoing problem:

I believe when you create an access group (menu->tools->settings.>connection->access point groups) you can override the SMTP settings per connection. So if you are starting without an access group:

1) menu->tools->settings.>connection->access point groups->option->New group

2) name your group

3) Go down and define your access points

4) Select access point in the access group you want to override, and hit options->SMTP settings

hope that solves your problem

,arm

armzilla, Apr 7, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

There is an invisible header above each group, click your cursor on them and type your title.

Edwin, Apr 7, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks Edwin. Invisible things are tough for my 40% eyesight.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. meebers Win User
    Not meaning to downplay this but, what is the purpose of "Groups" and how are you to use them. The same with the Capital letter "A" "B" etc to sort/group your apps, just sort them without the unnecessary Headers. (It takes up 26 rows, (english)). If you don't know what "APPS" you have on your desktop to begin with, then there is trouble. I have seen users on W7, that have stacked icons that cover every square inch of the desktop, moving a top icon to get the the one underneath. Hope I don't get to see a W10 desktop with all that. *Eek

meebers, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Defining groups in the Start menu - Similar Threads - Defining groups Start

2. group policy start menu folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    group policy start menu folders: OS: windows 10GroupPolicy: Local without domain joinPath to group policy setting: User Configuration/ Administrative Templates / Start Menu and TaskbarSetting name: Remove Documents icon from Start MenuSetting value: EnabledExpectation: In the start menu the small documents...
  3. group policy start menu folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    group policy start menu folders: OS: windows 10GroupPolicy: Local without domain joinPath to group policy setting: User Configuration/ Administrative Templates / Start Menu and TaskbarSetting name: Remove Documents icon from Start MenuSetting value: EnabledExpectation: In the start menu the small documents...
  4. Windows 11 Start Menu grouping

Windows 11 Start Menu grouping: I may have missed something but it looks like Windows 11 has removed the groupings that we used to have on Windows 10. This was a feature that a lot of us lowly users found incredibly useful and is a real pain when trying to make the Winows 11 interface as user friendly as...
  5. No More Groups in the Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No More Groups in the Start Menu?: Issue #2 that proved to be a deal-breaker for me, no more groups in the start menu. How is one to organize all the apps related to different genre's of application when you cannot group them?? I mean, this is the front window dressing, a display, an attractive feature as you...
  6. No More Groups in the Start Menu?

No More Groups in the Start Menu?: Issue #2 that proved to be a deal-breaker for me, no more groups in the start menu. How is one to organize all the apps related to different genre's of application when you cannot group them?? I mean, this is the front window dressing, a display, an attractive feature as you...
  7. Start Menu Groups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Groups: I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-groups/43f34af2-1a68-40ea-ad4c-82f2256d3e21
  8. More Groups on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  9. Local Group Policies reverting to [Not Defined]

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Group Policies reverting to [Not Defined]: Hi there, I'm trying to make it so my user name is not displayed on logon. Every time I change the group polices, they always revert back to [Not Defined] on reset. I tried regedit and gpedit.msc. [img] 104004
  10. Group names on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Group names on start menu: Is there a setting to remove "group names" and grouping on the start menu. To the right of the group name input box there is a "2 slice" hamburger that does not do anything except invite naming of the group. I would prefer to have free alignment if that is possible. 53954