Windows 10: Definition Update for Windows Defender fails

Discus and support Definition Update for Windows Defender fails in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I run Windows update I am always getting the message below. the Definition number changes as a new definition is released.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by streetwolf, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Definition Update for Windows Defender fails

When I run Windows update I am always getting the message below. the Definition number changes as a new definition is released.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:
    Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.713.0) - Error 0x80070643
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I started getting the message on Windows 10 AU about 4 days ago. It appears the definitions are being downloaded but the install fails. I decided to install the Windows 10 Creators Update yesterday. I did a clean install. After the initial install I was able to install definitions. However, somewhere along the line it started to fail again. On AU I could update Winders Defender by doing it within Winders Defender itself. Under CU it also fails within Windows Defender, which has been totally revamped, so it looks like no more definition updates for now. It appears I am stuck at KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.603.0)

Is there a fix for this? Again let me repeat. I had this problem on Windows 10 AU starting about 4 days ago so it's not limited to Windows 10 CU.

:)

streetwolf, Apr 2, 2017
  2. Billyls Win User

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.215.2997.0) Failed

Failed Update: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.215.2997.0)

Billyls, Apr 2, 2017
  3. Aoraki Win User
    W10 Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.2125.0) failed to install

H'mm -

The Std Windows Update download process for the Cumulative KB3081438 package was taking a long time - for the 200mb download... so I decided the do the update using the direct link to KB3081438
    - and the update downloaded and installed successfully.

(Windows 10 Patch KB3081438 offline installer )

However Windows Defender Updates in the Std Windows Update continue to fail, yet the updates within Windows Defender - work normally - screen shot below shows both (Windows Update and Windows Defender
    Update History)

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.2420.0) Failed to Install

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.2410.0) Failed to install

Imgur

H'mm

Aoraki, Apr 2, 2017
  4. Peter B Win User

Definition Update for Windows Defender fails

Just to say, I've been experiencing the exact same thing since the latter half of last week.

(I've tried the Windows Update troubleshooter, but no change).

Peter B, Apr 2, 2017
  5. I found this site that shows you how to update the definitions manually. It did update my defs to the latest version. I think I might have rebooted after I ran the program. Hopefully this fixed the problem but I have my doubts.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update...ally-windows-8

streetwolf, Apr 2, 2017
  6. storageman, Apr 2, 2017
  7. Thanks. I'll do any posting over there.

streetwolf, Apr 2, 2017
  8. lvgandhi Win User

I also got that error. Now I update from windows defender and then try windows update. Now I don't get error as defender is updated.

lvgandhi, Apr 3, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 3, 2017
  10. jyim89 Win User
Thema:

1. Definition Update for Windows Defender fails - Similar Threads - Definition Update Defender

2. Windows Defender Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Definition Updates: I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 & also a Dell Inspiron17 (series 5000). Both computers have Windows 10 64-bit. The Toshiba has version 1809 on it and the Dell has version 1803 on it. On both computers all updates seem to install without issue except the Windows...
  3. Windows Defender definition updates ...

Windows Defender definition updates ...: Is there a problem with the Defender updates? As I keep running the update app and there have been no updates today (01/05/2019). The last update was yesterday (30/04/2019) it was - Definition 1.293.527.0...
  4. Definition Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus - Failed to install

Definition Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus - Failed to install: Definition Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus failed to install as follows: Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus – KB2267602 (Definition 1.291.593.0) Failed to install on 3/28/2019 – 0x8024000b Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus – KB2267602...
  5. windows defender definition update failed to install

windows defender definition update failed to install: windows defender definition update failed to install error 0x80240017 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-definition-update-failed-to/7def191d-6c16-4c4f-bc87-773c82d5adbd
  6. Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus failed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus failed: KB2267602 (Definition 1.279.367.0). I checked for updates and none were found. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/definition-update-for-windows-defender-antivirus/03b924b6-45ea-4873-b5bc-b26f5cb709a5
  7. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  8. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  9. Windows Defender definition updates

Windows Defender definition updates: Has anyone else noticed that the size of the daily definition download has dramatically increased? Prior to FCU the average size for me was under 1mb, now it has balloned to just under 30mb. This is of course downloading via Windows Update.Is this some kind of unusual quirk...
  10. Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 fails: I checked my Update history and noticed that the Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 failed to install. I do not use Windows Defender as I use Norton Security. Windows Defender is grayed out. However, I think that the definitions should install anyway....