Windows 10: Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk

Discus and support Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I know that is Dangerous... why the Defrag of Windows want to do it??? 63830 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pipppero2007, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk

I know that is Dangerous... why the Defrag of Windows want to do it???

:)

Pipppero2007, Sep 14, 2016

2. seagate hybrid drive

SSD stands for "Solid State Disk". With SSDs it does not make the slightest difference whether the files are fragmented or not (other than offending your urge of having a nicely defragged disk).

Frederik Long, Sep 14, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Windows 10 degragmenter

SSD is Solid State Drive, ie. it is not a spinning platter like the older hard drives.

Hard drives you defragment, SSD you Optimize.

lacrumb, Sep 14, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk

SSDs should not be defrag'ed, but they can be optimized - we need to know more before we can answer your question.

In casual conversation the words 'defrag' and 'optimize' are often used interchangeably. In Windows the two words have precise and different technical meanings. Can you tell us where Windows is 'saying it want's to do it'? (preferably with a screen shot).

5. Exacly, I write "DEFRAG" on START and I obtain the good old DEFRAG tool.

My disk C: is SDD and it says "Need optimization".

So my last question is: DEFRAG TOOL run "OPTIMIZATION" for SSD and "DEFRAGGING" for HDD?

Thank you

Pipppero2007, Sep 15, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    It isn't the old defrag - it just has the same icon and looks similar. If you look carefully the full name is Defragment and Optimize drives and the window that opens is titled Optimize Drives.

It automatically runs the correct optimization based on drive type - traditional defragmentation on HDD, optimization (TRIM) of SDD and slab consolidation on virtual disks.

Optimization on SSD will also run defragmentation monthly if restore points are enabled. The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

I'd recommend you optimize your C drive (click on the "Optimize" button) and leave the default weekly schedule as it is.

7. spunk Win User
    Whom is the manufacturer of the SSD drive?
    Most SSD Manufacturers have free Tools to download to update Firmware and Optimize the drive

spunk, Sep 15, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

As @Ix07 states the defrag included with Windows 10 recognises SSDs and will just perform TRIM optimisations and NOT defrag. Its perfectly safe to run, I've been doing it on my 3 SSDs for the past year. You don't need any other tool as this is sufficient.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Defrag for SSD Solid State Disk - Similar Threads - Defrag SSD Solid

2. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  3. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  4. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  5. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  7. defragging solid state drive

defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c
  8. Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?: Hi Why is the system solid state SSD and HDD disk in the removal list?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-system-solid-state-ssd-and-hdd-disk-in/928aca12-c81e-4932-bf00-1b7fdd5bc99c
  9. Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag?

Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag?: Hello, When I was running Windows 7, my system had a small solid state C drive that did not have enough space for windows 10 upgrade. I got a larger 2TB regular hard disk and used the manufacturer's software to clone the old Windows-7 SSD C drive to the new 2TB and then...
  10. Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD: I hope shortly to receive a "pre-owned" Dell M6800 laptop with a 128GB Solid State Disk (SSD) and a 750GB HDD. It comes with 8.1 installed (shudder) and I will upgrade to 10 immediately as I couldn't tolerate 8 or 8.1. Once I've done that, I'll need to transfer all my...