Windows 10: Defrag Network Drive

Discus and support Defrag Network Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can I defrag a USB drive that is attached to my router without removing the drive and attaching it locally to my desktop? 46937 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Charlie210, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Defrag Network Drive

Can I defrag a USB drive that is attached to my router without removing the drive and attaching it locally to my desktop?

:)

Charlie210, Apr 10, 2016
  2. SarahKong Win User

Stop windows from defragmenting my SSD!!!

Hi Bob I get this all the time when I teach the Windows 10 course and I will tell you what I tell my students.

Yes, Windows does put all your drives even if they are SSD in the Weekly defrag schedule.

However, Windows will NOT defrag an SSD weekly, at the most it does this once a month. And you are right that SSD drives don't get fragmented as often but they still can get fragmented. So the defrag utility will first check to see if if requires a defrag before
    defraging. It actually does that on all types of drives.

And for SSD drives it doesn't do the same "traditional defrag" as with HDD drives.

It actually uses a TRIM feature to defrag SSD drives.

So you don't need to disable it all. I have a laptop that has a SSD drive and it has been running Windows 10 for 2 years with defrag enabled it is absolutely fine.

I hope this helps. Take care.

SarahKong, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Can not get Defrag Windows 10 System System hard dics drive to work?

I have numerous times to get my System disc hard drive to defrag to 0%. As of now it is still at 39% defrag. Is their that I can go directly to Windows 10 System disc hard drive to defrag ? Thanks for any help.

ThomasRichardsonZH, Apr 10, 2016
  4. zztemp Win User

Defrag Network Drive

I'm not 100% sure, but i don't think this can be done.

Mainly because, when defragging a drive, the location of the data is very important, but with network communication, i don't think this is being sent. So it would be hard to read and re-locate/write this data to another location.

Also, performance-wise i don't think this would be the ideal situation ... .

zztemp, Apr 10, 2016
  5. sml156 Win User
    I just checked my drives, On the left is my C: drive on the right is My USB drive connected to my router NOTE: there are no option's to run Disk Clean also no tools tab where defrag is.

Defrag Network Drive [​IMG]

sml156, Apr 10, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    More than likely your network is going to be the bottleneck in accessing the USB drive - not fragmentation of the files. To me defragging the drive would only increase physical wear and tear on it and not improve data transfer rates.

NavyLCDR, Apr 10, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    A disk defrag cannot be done on a network drive. This requires a low level of access to the drive that is not supported over a network connection.

LMiller7, Apr 10, 2016
  8. Defrag Network Drive

Thanks for everyone's response.

Charlie210, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Defrag Network Drive

1. Defrag Network Drive - Similar Threads - Defrag Network Drive

2. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  3. Defraging drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging drive: I have Norton Utilities and have their optimizing operation as part of my normal maintenance process. I also use the Windows 10 Optimizing utility Properties/Tools/Optimize. My question is why there is such a difference in the results? I see a fragmention of 5+% in Windows 10...
  4. Defragmenting drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defragmenting drive: So I opened the defragmenting app but it says my drives cannot be optimized, does anyone know why the drive cannot be optimized? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-drive/7fb54b9b-2e60-4c28-bbd0-5a3cd276c6d2
  5. Hard Drive Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Defrag . . .: My computer is, a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro . . . I want, to clean up, my hard drive. I think, it's known as "Defrag"? I'm not, sure why? But, my computer is running very, slowly. I hope, after cleaning up my, hard drive. It, will run faster? I typed into, my...
  6. Defragment and Optimise Drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragment and Optimise Drives: Hi All, When I go in to the services app in my Windows 10 HE, Defrag and Optimise Drives is not listed as a service. Also when I type in the search bar to bring up the app, nothing happens other than a very quick blink. I could go a cmd line, but I don't actually need to...
  7. defragging solid state drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c
  8. Defragging a 2 Terabyte Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragging a 2 Terabyte Drive: I have a 2 Terabyte drive of which only 357 GB is used, leaving 1.45 TB free. With that much free space would it be beneficial to defrag my hard drive? 126887
  9. " Defragment and Optimise Drives "

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    " Defragment and Optimise Drives ": Hi, First of all, I would like to describe the laptop that I have. I have an 128gb SSD which holds the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD which I use for all my programs, documents, music, videos etc etc, both came with the laptop. Now I know its safe and normal to defrag a HDD...
  10. Defragment and Optimize C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragment and Optimize C drive: I can not get my C drive to optimize. It stays stuck on 6%. I have tried it 5 times and still will not go to O% optimized. [img] 104256

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defrag network drive windows 10