Windows 10: Defrag questions

Discus and support Defrag questions in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. Is there any way to schedule defrag to happen at a particular day/time? Also, what is this weirdly-named folder (picture)? Thankyou! [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Homer Simpson, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Defrag questions

Hi. Is there any way to schedule defrag to happen at a particular day/time?

Also, what is this weirdly-named folder (picture)?

Thankyou!
    Defrag questions [​IMG]

:)

Homer Simpson, Dec 29, 2015
  2. skip3119 Win User

Based on % fragmented to decide if one needs to do defrag.

This is about a computer running Windows 10.

To analyze a hard disk is much faster than to defrag it. So, I do analyze first, and get a number of % fragmented.

Question:

1. What % of the fragmentation below which I don't need to do defrag.

2. Gray zone - it is OK to do defrag, it is also OK not to do defrag.

3. What % of the fragmentation above which it is advisable for me to do defrag.

Thank you very much.

skip3119, Dec 29, 2015
  3. Norm Watson

A classic Google question:

How to defrag in Windows 10

Frederik Long, Dec 29, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Defrag questions

I guess you could set up task scheduler to do it.

swarfega, Dec 29, 2015
  5. Wullail Win User
    If I remember right , that weird volume name is a system reserved partition.

Wullail, Dec 29, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    You are correct.

swarfega, Dec 29, 2015
  7. Why is it appearing all of a sudden?

Homer Simpson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Defrag questions

1. Defrag questions - Similar Threads - Defrag questions

2. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  3. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  4. I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?: So, I looked at my drives and said "oh, this isn't trimmed!" and optimized it. Now my PC is a bit funky and I'm worried. Am I good? What can I do to fix this without messing up my PC?...
  5. I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?

I stupidly optimized the recovery drive in Defragment. Am I good? Is this a cause for concern?: So, I looked at my drives and said "oh, this isn't trimmed!" and optimized it. Now my PC is a bit funky and I'm worried. Am I good? What can I do to fix this without messing up my PC?...
  6. Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a...: Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a restart after 5 min. Fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/performed-a-successful-defrag-of-windows-11-c/fc7d26ca-9682-4d41-b82e-d1547bdaf648
  7. Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a...

Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a...: Performed a successful defrag of Windows 11 C drive. Now it automatically calls for a restart after 5 min. Fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/performed-a-successful-defrag-of-windows-11-c/fc7d26ca-9682-4d41-b82e-d1547bdaf648
  8. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  9. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  10. Question About Defragmenting An SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Defragmenting An SSD: So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD. I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD tends to shorten its life over a period of time. Yet when you "Optimize" an SSD, isn't that doing a same amount of harm on the...