Windows 10: Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN

Discus and support Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So this is this 2nd time this has happened after using defraggler (and PC asking for random windows update)! -I defragged my PC during the day for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by C0zzie, Jul 11, 2017.

1. C0zzie Win User

Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN

So this is this 2nd time this has happened after using defraggler (and PC asking for random windows update)!

-I defragged my PC during the day for about 5 hours.
    -I got home, paused and stopped the defragging.
    -I go to shut-down my PC and get 2 options: 'update and restart' and 'update and shut-down'. I choose the latter option.
    -PC updates for a bit before shutting down. I wasnt directly at my PC when it 'updated', but I think it was on about 20% update, then I heard it shut off. I presumed it was a really quick update
    -So..PC shuts down, I wait 10 seconds then power PC back on. Windows 10 logo, a fuzze circular moving update dots appear.
    -My PC auto logs into my MAIN current account and bam..black screen of death with white mouse cursor on screen. I tried logging into 1 other account..black screen. I managed to log into a 3rd account and it was fine.

This happened TWICE now. Both times it was a: I defrag, then get the windows update, (pc shuts down), then turn on pc and black screen of death.

Why on EARTH is this happening? Is it defraggler moving my 'Windows update files' around or something? Is it a corrupt windows update 'coincidence after defragging my PC twice'.

I am too scared to defrag my PC again. its about 10% fragmented. I am thinking of either running chkdsk repair / fix to find issues? Or last case, just doing a complete re-install of my PC / Windows

Please help my issue *Sad

Here is a pic of my defragged HD if it helps

Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN [​IMG]

:)

C0zzie, Jul 11, 2017
  2. Rose Cal Win User

BSOD after latest Creator's Windows Update

Hi,

The issue you encountered can occur if a problem causes your computer to shut down or restart unexpectedly. To better assist you, we'd like to ask if are you referring to Blue Screen of Death or Black Screen of Death? If you are referring to Blue Screen
    of Death, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.
    It will provide you instructions how to correct blue screen error. If you are referring to Black Screen of Death, we recommend that you perform the steps in this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors.
    It will let you correct black screen issues.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jul 11, 2017
  3. i have a black screen of death on windows 10 after login

i have the black screen of death after log in, i have read how to fix it but i can use my keyboard cause it is a cybertek keyboard and wont turn on till it gets to the login screen. How would i fix the black screen of death without a keyboard i dont have
    a spare keyboard.

SHADOWHowry, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

There no telling what side effects could occur when running defrag (especially stopping the defrag) while windows is updating. Did the update install successfully ?

Yes, it would be a good idea to run the following .... They are gonna take some time, so be patient *Smile
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (if needed)
    chkdsk /r

It's not a good idea to stop defrag on a hard drive ... IMO *Sad
    I know the Update & Shutdown option wouldn't be there if it didn't work, but I have never used it. I always Update & Restart.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  5. C0zzie Win User
    I didnt stop defrag whilst windows was running an update.

Many times I have ran defrag whilst I am out/over night and paused/stopped it. At my rate, it will take days to defrag everything so I do it in file selections (select groups of files), and defrag normally when I can.

I have no idea what the update was so not sure if this update (that I recieved last time I got black screen) is working or not

I mean my PC is working fine now which is great but I probably wont defrag again. I think I will create another full image (13 hour wait sigh), and backup everything. I will then run the commands you told me to.

C0zzie, Jul 11, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    K ... Might be a good idea to check the status of the updates ... Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates and click on Update History.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  7. C0zzie Win User
    I have just checked that. It shows all successful, apart from 2 'failed installs' back in May.

They are both: "2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102)".

I will try do some research on that but apparently I 'have the latest updates' when I checked for any.

C0zzie, Jul 11, 2017
  8. pbcopter Win User

I have never found it necessary to use anything but the Windows native defragmentation process. It runs in the background and I have never had a problem with fragmentation.

pbcopter, Jul 13, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Why are you defragging anyway - it is virtually not needed in Windows 10 which does a quite defragging weekly by default anyway.

If you have a load of data files that are fragged, just copy them to an external drive, delete then and copy back. That will give you 80% of benefit in 20% of time.

cereberus, Jul 13, 2017
  10. You should perform a defrag outside of Windows, there is no way, it could damage anything that way, like by locking files in running Windows, besides it is way faster and you can defragment everything.

Boot Windows USB - Repair - Troubleshoot - CMD - type/enter
    c:
    cd windows
    cd system32
    defrag c: /u

In defrag command use the letter, which corresponds to the HDD you want to defragment. Letters might be different, depending on, how Window setup detects disks and assigns them, you can analyze prior to defrag.

defrag c: /a

TairikuOkami, Jul 13, 2017
  11. C0zzie Win User
    Many people say the Windows defrag tool is not very good. And everyone advises to use Piriform Defraggler instead. I like it a lot, it shows different options

C0zzie, Jul 13, 2017
  12. C0zzie Win User
    Well my HDD was 20% fragmented. I got it to about 10%. TBH it does feel faster, and loading time is better as well. Doubt my PC was defragging in the background as it wouldnt have got it from 20% to 10% whilst background defragging?

C0zzie, Jul 13, 2017
  13. C0zzie Win User

Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN [​IMG]

This image has both 'Piriform Defraggler' and 'Windows built in defraggler'(also called 'Optimize Drives').

Piriform shows 10% fragmented and Windows shows 7%. A bit of a difference but not huge.

With the Windows defraggler, are the selected drives correct or should I just select (C: )?
    And do I run a weekly or daily schedule? TBH I am not sure if its set as my default one so have never noticed it slow down my PC.

Or do I use Piriform Defraggler schedule?

Thanks!

C0zzie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN - Similar Threads - Defragging update caused

2. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen of Death: The moment I boot up my PC, all that displays is a black screen with my cursor. I have watched dozens of tutorials and the one thing they point to is hitting CTRL - ALT - DEL to open up Task Manager, but when I hit those keys nothing happens. Is there any solution? Thank you....
  3. Black screen of death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen of death: HI microsoft i have a problem where i resetted my pc and now all i see is a black screen i have no corsair NO COMMANDS work NO STARTUP REPAIR WORKS i have no restore points i have tried everything what do i do i cant go into task manager or nothing like that PLS HELP Do i...
  4. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen of Death: After login, the screen just goes black. I can see my mouse pointer. The PC runs fine in safe mode. This happened after an update so i tried to uninstall the update but as soon as i do windows just reinstalls it again. The video driver is up-to-date....
  5. Black Screen of Death

Black Screen of Death: Since the last feature update my wife and a friend, who both have new laptops running Windows 10 have both experienced the exact same problem. On starting their machine, they get to the sign in page and the progress circle of dots continues for longer than usual, then the...
  6. Windows Update Caused Blue Screen Of Death

Windows Update Caused Blue Screen Of Death: After updating my Acer laptop for the most resent update it took me to the "blue screen of death". I looked around but there is no optional reset. I went through all 6 options in advanced settings I had. (these were my only options) •Startup rest couldn't find an...
  7. Black Screen Of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen Of Death: I see that the BSOD section is only for Blue Screen, but what about Black Screen which I now get every time after about an hour after Booting. What makes it more problematic is that the PC crashes and cannot be re-started until after an hour plus of none use, despite...
  8. Windows Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Black Screen of Death: I have to say, I have had nothing but trouble with Microsoft Windows 10. I have lost 3 Laptops due to the Windows 10 Updates. Three perfectly good laptops because of the updates. I just bought a BRAND NEW DELL DESKTOP, and I am scared to death to let it do any updates,...
  9. Black Screen Of death

Black Screen Of death: This may seem wierd but in my case it is urgent! Recently I was notified by Windows that I need to run a CheckDisk for C: drive. I dont knw y but this happened! Scanning and repairing C drive: 54% and got stuck there. So i did a force restart and this came "Preparing...
  10. "Black" screen of Death

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Black" screen of Death: I think this qualifies for this BSOD section...please ignore if it doesn't. Everything is operating normally on my computer and I'll have an unpredictable black screen. No warning, just black. At that point, the power is still running the system drives, but nothing will...