Windows 10: Defragment and Optimize C drive

Discus and support Defragment and Optimize C drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I can not get my C drive to optimize. It stays stuck on 6%. I have tried it 5 times and still will not go to O% optimized. [img] 104256 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Phil7788, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Phil7788 Win User

Defragment and Optimize C drive

I can not get my C drive to optimize. It stays stuck on 6%. I have tried it 5 times and still will not go to O% optimized.

Defragment and Optimize C drive [​IMG]

:)

Phil7788, Feb 12, 2018
  2. billsc57 Win User

Difficulty with Defraging (Optimize) system Windows 10

When I go to Defrag and Optimize I see the OS C: drive and a system drive. The system drive says 11 percent defragmented and needs optimization. Yet when I hit the analyze or optimize button It simply quickly returns to the same statement and does not
    run any type of defragmentation. The OS C drive will. How can I defrag the sytem

billsc57, Feb 12, 2018
  3. Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

I can't get the Defragment and Optimize Drives to recognize my "C" drive.

When I click on the shortcut (Start menu) in Windows Administrative Tools. Nothing Happens. I tried going through File Manager, click on the Manage Tab, followed by clicking on Optimize button Nothing happens.

The only time I can get it to function is when I have my portable hard drive connected. However, when I click on Defragment and Optimize Drives the only drive showing is my portable hard Drive. The "C" drive does not appear nor is it recognized by the Defrag
    program

EdwardGeer, Feb 12, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

You could try booting from a repair disk or your Windows 10 install media, then entering this command at the command prompt:

Code: defrag <drive-letter>: /u /v[/quote] This will quickly tell you if something's wrong with the drive itself and it can't be defragged, or if it's an issue with Windows .
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 13, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    How much free space do you have on your C: drive? With XP you needed at least 15% free space for defrag to be able to completely defrag the drive. That limit has been reduced now, but you still need some free space to be able to defrag effectively.

6. Phil7788 Win User
    Hello Bree,
    I have windows 10 and have 385gb free of 464gb

Phil7788, Feb 13, 2018
  7. Lets defragment free space, boot files and C: partition hopefully this will resolve the fragmentation problem. If not then use free defragmentation software.

Please open the Command Prompt by typing cmd.exe into or Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Execute following commands one at a time.

Code: Defrag C: /x /v /u /h Defrag C: /b /v /u /h Defrag C: /v /u /h[/quote]

FreeBooter, Feb 13, 2018
  8. Phil7788 Win User

Free,'
    Thanks that did it back to 0% defrag. much appreciate. have a great weekend

Phil

Phil7788, Feb 15, 2018
  9. You are very welcome!

Take Care!

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Defragment and Optimize C drive - Similar Threads - Defragment Optimize drive

2. Defragment & Optimize Drives not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragment & Optimize Drives not working: Hi all,I tried to optimize my C drive tonight, but the Defragment & Optimize Drives UI program wouldn't start. I tried the command line version by running defrag c: /U /V and nothing happened. There's no error. After doing some research, I found out there should be an...
  3. Defragment & Optimize Drives not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defragment & Optimize Drives not working: Hi all,I tried to optimize my C drive tonight, but the Defragment & Optimize Drives UI program wouldn't start. I tried the command line version by running defrag c: /U /V and nothing happened. There's no error. After doing some research, I found out there should be an...
  4. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  5. Defragmenting and Optimizing Drive C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defragmenting and Optimizing Drive C: Drive C no longer appears in the Defragmenting and Optimizing Drives App? I only see the Recovery Image. How do I add Drive C back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-and-optimizing-drive-c/c54cedb5-7c13-435b-80b6-5c4419421de6
  6. Defragment and Optimization Tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment and Optimization Tool: Since update to Version 2004, each and any time the Windows Tool to Defragment and Optimize the Hard Drive, I receive an Event Error Message, Event 264, " The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on OS C: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware...
  7. Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run": Since upgrading to Windows 10 2004, I have encountered an issue with the tool Defragment & Optimize Drives. First of all, let me state that I have a SSD and realize that defragmentation is not needed. However, I find it odd that the tool reports "Never run" and "Needs...
  8. SSD optimize and defrag

SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  9. Defrag and Optimize

Defrag and Optimize: What is a good optimizer with W10. Thanks 39959
  10. Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10: How to: Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 How to Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10 One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs...